The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

Post by HappyDaze »

Disclaimer -- in my case we will be crossing the line from frugal territory into CHEAPSKATE territory. Most recently - I have a very cheap area rug on my back porch. It is where the dogs come in and get their feet wiped off. When I launder the rug, some of the threads (thick, heavy threads) kind of separate. I have been cutting them off after washing the rug and adding them to my "ball of free string." It's very durable and very usable.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Re: The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

Post by MackerelCat »

The biggest thing was paying our house off 33% early this month. The savings on interest will be significant.

Second to that was finding a new Affordable Care Act health insurance policy for our son, which will save $100 a month starting on Jan. 1. We help him pay his insurance, so this directly saves us money.

Pet expenses are huge at our house, mainly due to our middle dog having food allergies. After a lot of looking, this week we found some dental chews that are half the price of what we were buying, saving us $45 a month, and a less expensive kibble, which saves $17. Dental chews help keep their teeth much cleaner, so this year only one of them will need her teeth cleaned by the vet instead of all three.

The smallest thing was mending a little hole in the elbow of a sweater bought for my husband long ago at a thrift store. The embroidery thread was given to me years ago by a neighbor.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My favorite gray cardigan sweater needed a button. I looked at the fabric store and refused to pay that amount of money for one button. I would have to buy a whole card to get one button. I looked through my button box, but nothing matched. I found quite a few buttons that I liked and decide to switch out and replace the whole lot. However, I was 2 buttons short. While doing laundry I realized that one of my blouses had the same buttons that would match. So, I plan on removing them from my blouse and sewing them on the sweater and then use different buttons from my button box on the blouse.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:05 pm The biggest thing was paying our house off 33% early this month. The savings on interest will be significant.

Second to that was finding a new Affordable Care Act health insurance policy for our son, which will save $100 a month starting on Jan. 1. We help him pay his insurance, so this directly saves us money.

Pet expenses are huge at our house, mainly due to our middle dog having food allergies. After a lot of looking, this week we found some dental chews that are half the price of what we were buying, saving us $45 a month, and a less expensive kibble, which saves $17. Dental chews help keep their teeth much cleaner, so this year only one of them will need her teeth cleaned by the vet instead of all three.

The smallest thing was mending a little hole in the elbow of a sweater bought for my husband long ago at a thrift store. The embroidery thread was given to me years ago by a neighbor.
Mackie congrats again on getting your house paid off.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, with buttons, I often put a similar one as the top button and move the top button down to the spot where one is missing. This works really well if you have a pretty button you want to show off to use as the top button.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:04 pm Janet, with buttons, I often put a similar one as the top button and move the top button down to the spot where one is missing. This works really well if you have a pretty button you want to show off to use as the top button.
I have done that as well Mackie.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/