The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

Post by Jackielou »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:22 pm Lately it's a matter of what we 'haven't' done that just happens to have saved us $ - we haven't attended (indoors, many folks unvaxxed) parties or gone to group (indoors, many folks unvaxxed) restaurant dinners. Admittedly it was mostly because covid cases have climbed a lot here again, but the side effect is not having to spend on gifts for hosts and on restaurant food, which with the exception of a little local Chinese take-out place, is overpriced and underwhelming.

The Chinese place has 2 amazing tofu dishes.

One couple in the parties group (nice folks, early 30s, unvaxxed, w/2 kids under 10) is going on a cruise this week. Traveled from here to Florida to get on a cruise.

I can't imagine anything I feel less inclined to do than to be trapped on a boat with potential covid carriers. I read that 90+ cruise ships currently have covid breakouts. Sometimes, it's like people are ASKING to get sick.
Our federal government has asked us not to go on any cruises. According to what I have read most Canadians are listening and cancelling their reservations.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:16 pm Our federal government has asked us not to go on any cruises. According to what I have read most Canadians are listening and cancelling their reservations.
Shaking my head here - common sense should be enough to keep people off cruise ships. What is wrong with people?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Latest frugal thing - It was "warm" enough last night to sleep with heat off and windows open, under a pile of blankets. I actually woke up feeling overheated a couple of times - dogs were under the blankets.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The frugality of "not doing" during the past two years of Covid saved us a huge amount of money. DH does not really enjoy working at home, but he's not spending money on gas to commute, eating lunch out, and snacks and drinks from the vending machines. We also stopped going to restaurants. We got takeout only about 10 times in 20 months, as opposed to eating out every Thursday evening.

We also limited our to the local grocery store, pharmacy, and hardware store. I stopped going thrifting and went to only two yard sales, both on hot, sunny days so that everything was displayed outdoors.

We did slightly increase our online shopping, but not hugely.

If you stop eating out or shopping, your life automatically becomes very frugal.
Mackie
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I don't understand the going on a cruise thing either. We have spent the last two years staying AWAY from people!
So..it is a new year....time to buckle down a budget again.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:40 am The frugality of "not doing" during the past two years of Covid saved us a huge amount of money. DH does not really enjoy working at home, but he's not spending money on gas to commute, eating lunch out, and snacks and drinks from the vending machines. We also stopped going to restaurants. We got takeout only about 10 times in 20 months, as opposed to eating out every Thursday evening.

We also limited our to the local grocery store, pharmacy, and hardware store. I stopped going thrifting and went to only two yard sales, both on hot, sunny days so that everything was displayed outdoors.

We did slightly increase our online shopping, but not hugely.

If you stop eating out or shopping, your life automatically becomes very frugal.
Amen to that, Mackie. A large pizza at our local shop costs $23. I can get a huge take and bake pizza from Save A Lot for $6.49 if I'm so inclined - or two very big Wild Mike's frozen pizzas from the regular grocery. These are my "solutions" for when I think I must have pizza that is not my own homemade version. When I feel the urge to shop, I take a walk (with or without a dog) and see what I can find. Sometimes I find nothing - often I find some coins or other interesting things - items on the curb, etc. A couple years ago on Christmas Eve, I found a bag of groceries from a store that we don't have in our town - literally a bag of unopened items like cinnamon bread, cheese danish and some other things. Yes, I brought it home and used the contents.

Charles M. Schultz