Entertainment / Fun / Hobbies

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Entertainment / Fun / Hobbies

Post by HappyDaze »

Wondering what you all do for entertainment/fun/hobbies. I've been thinking over the last couple of days about this. I am not an avid reader - but open to suggestions for good non-fiction books, Netflix shows that you like (DD pays), crafts that you do that don't require purchasing a lot of supplies.

I feel that I need a new hobby or something. I have been doing some crossword puzzles - bought myself a book of them while I was out Christmas shopping. Also watching YouTube videos about making "junk journals" and I might give that a try, using only what I have on hand.

This was not a problem for me pre-pandemic - I went to craft circles and classes and book club meetings, movie nights at the Library - hiking group and special educational events at a local park - all not options right now and I'm needing to put some more enjoyment into my weekly schedule. Volunteer opportunities are also limited due to the pandemic - the occasional food distribution is about all I can find that I'm comfortable doing - especially in winter.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Re: Entertainment / Fun / Hobbies

Post by Quilter51 »

First let me say that most hobbies especially creative ones require SOME kind of materials or equipment. You can quilt but cutting g up old shirts and many places including marketplace. Although I am very much not a fan of the frugal queen she does lots of creative things as art and I have learned that art is what you make it and the goal is to have fun.

Now that that little lecture is over, I read both fiction and non, I watch TV and am happy to share a list. I sew and quilt. Those need a machine but a machine has value to almost any body . My goal for the new year is to make collage quilts only with found or thrifted fabric. I knit and that just takes needles and yarn. I draw and learned in you tube with dollar store supplies. I dint cook but I bake. I am challenging myself to try creative writing with prompts. Genealogy is gonna require some kind of membership eventually. I am never bored although I do occasionally have cabin fever.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Sheila, I recently got a book that has crossword puzzles, wordsearch puzzles, coloring pages, and other little puzzles, like find 5 differences between two pictures, etc. I've been devouring it and may look for another one.

I do a lot of reading, but virtually all of mine is fiction. One non-fiction book I read not long ago that was truly outstanding is Valley Forge by Bob Drury. I learned so much from that book.

Not sure what your taste runs to in viewing, but some of my favorite series on Netflix are: Call the Midwife (arguably the best TV show ever), Gilmore Girls, Schitt's Creek (laugh out loud hilarious), Longmire, and Criminal Minds.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My hobbies tend to be utilitarian. I love to read, sew, cook and repair things. I like to crochet, but arthritis in my hands limits me to small projects.

If you want to learn a new craft, crocheting is easy to learn (lots of YouTube videos) and not expensive. It can get expensive, but you can start small to see if you enjoy it.

For reading, I read e-books almost exclusively. Our county library has a digital section for checking out e-books and I subscribe to the free BookBub service, which usually has some free e-books worth looking at.

BookBub also offers new releases of e-books at a deep discount, which drops the price for a few days from $12 to $14 to around $2.99. That is definitely a good deal for any book one would like to own.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I am not a big reader but biographies/memoirs are my favorites. One of my favorite books that is inspiring and I think you’d like is My Beloved World by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. She grew up very poor in a Puerto Rican family but was whip smart and a hard worker. Another older biography is Leap of Faith by Queen Noor of Jordan. She grew up American and had to learn a whole new culture and religion when she married King Hussein.

Of course I love jigsaw puzzles! Many libraries loan them for free.

With genealogy I have found a lot of free information from familysearch.org, the LDS/Mormon website which includes everyone, not just Mormons. I would definitely start there instead of paying for Ancestry at the start of your research.

If you are at all interested in online games, the Washington Post website has an extensive website that is free, not just for subscribers. Search for Washington Post puzzles and games. I like to play a few games of Mahjong Solitaire and a game called Block Champ.

Netflix - a favorite short series is the Queen’s Gambit about chess.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

While my interests don't lean toward sewing, I can mend a sock and replace a button. I do know how to knit and crochet (very basic - I can knit a scarf and crochet a square) and I do have a sketch pad and colored pencils that I dabble with.

I'm really thinking that I'm going to try my hand at a junk journal - they look like a lot of fun, can be made with literally "junk" and anything goes. I will only need to buy an embroidery needle (not really need - there are other ways to bind the journals - I am deciding to buy the embroidery needle. The best part is, you don't have to buy any equipment or supplies and figure out where to keep it, what do do with the excess, etc. Makes it a good option for my minimalist tendencies, I think.

While I admit to being an introvert and preferring solitude, I guess I am missing the social aspects of pre-pandemic life - I was really quite active.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz