Daily Check In January 10, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In January 10, 2022

Post by LogicsHere »

Happy 46th Jackie.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:43 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

We are a balmy -19*C right now and there is very little wind chill. That's only -3*F. How great is that. I may get my washing started and a few other household tasks and head out for a bit of a walk about. It will be wonderful to be out in the fresh air after days of being stuck inside.

I fell asleep reading last night so am up pretty darn early today. That is just fine as I have plenty of work to accomplish around the house and I can conceivably get lots of small easy chores done before I leave the house.

Coffee is however tasting especially wonderful today for some reason, so it may be a more than 2 cup morning, could be looking at a 3 or even 4 cup day. Thank heavens for my own make it yourself K-cup. Pretty expensive coffee morning if I used just the ready made K-cups. I have to pull out the grinder and make more ground coffee as my container is almost empty now.

I put away the rug for a bit and will be working on my quilt top this week. I hope to get more of it hand quilted, and while doing so try and figure out what the borders binding will be. I do have some beige fabric (actually lots of it) but I am not sure how it will look. I may have to break down and see if there is a sheet in my backing collection that I could use.

I am also half way through the 6th dish cloth and will more than likely finish that tonight. I will be casting on for the first of three scarves by the end of the night.

I think that the smaller projects for the month will be done very quickly. It is those larger ones (quilt and rug) that will take a bit longer. I also need to work on something fabulous for the reunion this summer (that is if we actually can gather), and for the silent auction. I am not too sure if we made enough cash at the last one to pay for the meals this time around.

I do not plan on spending any cash today and continue working on clearing things out. I was going to have soup and sandwiches for supper tonight but, and it is a big but, as it is our 46th Wedding Anniversary, I just might change it to something a bit more special (though we both enjoy a good soup and sandwich meal) and clean out the fridge a tiny bit more. I just have to see if Hubby has eaten all the leftover turkey from Saturdays meal. I have a plan for it if still in his sandwich meat drawer. If not, soup and sandwiches it is. I would actuallthy find that a treat, no real cooking.

Today I am grateful that it looks as if I will get out for a walk today.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Happy anniversary Jackie and Harvey. May you have many, many more.
Janet Alliesmama
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I had to postpone seeing my friend. Her family has had contact with 2 people recently who came down with Covid. We'll try next Monday.

So I am getting ready to run to Walmart and then Joann's. I recently got 2 new store-bought blankets. One for giving blood and one in a Christmas exchange. I finally decided to wash both and keep them in my car. I have some clutter to clean up and I also should sit down at the sewing machine for a bit. But it was very nice to sleep in this morning.

We are cold (for here) at 16 F. Short, Jackie's minus 10 F "is nice" ... around here they are yelling frostbite warnings at 20 F. Of course we don't know how to dress for the winter around here. I learned fast when I moved to Chicago and used public transportation and/or walked blocks in all weather.

Have a great day,
Maggie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. It's chilly in our office this morning, so I turned on the space heater. This being my 8th straight work day, I'm feeling rather off kilter. Since Friday, every day has felt like Friday in terms of being tired and chores to be done at home.

Like Logics, my hands are so dry from the cold air and the antibacterial soap we have to use at work. They felt like sandpaper on the backs last night. I used the last free sample of Burt's Bee's rose hip oil on them before bed and they are much softer this morning.

I fell asleep on the sofa yesterday afternoon after work and wound up sleeping two hours. DS and DH ordered a pizza for supper, which really was not good. Whoever made it piled so much cold green sliced pepper and canned mushroom slices on top of the cheese that the cheese did not melt nor did the marina sauce get hot in those areas. Ick.

Well, off to make another cup of tea. I hope you all have a peaceful day.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I woke up too early at 5:30 this morning.

I went down to the mail box and mailed a grandsons Birthday present to my daughter. With Omicron we are not taking any chances.

By making his present I determined that my sewing machine is up to sewing the heavy fabric. And up to 8 layers of denim. I ordered a Tune up kit for the Singer 301. It is out for delivery today.

I want to cut out and press interfacing on the rest of the denim key fobs. I want them ready to sew.

Then I plan on putting away the cutting pressing surface. Until I need to cut again. I can just press on my kitchen countertop with my pressing pad if I need to press something.

Penny
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m home from Publix and I’ve never seen some sections so poorly stocked. Yes, it is Monday morning but I don’t think that’s the problem. The cracker aisle is a wasteland. Absolutely no store-brand crackers. I gritted my teeth and bought a box of Premium even though I had to get salted. (One of my favorite snacks and sometimes lunches is salsa and crackers.) I wanted soup crackers and there were none of any brand. I bought the last two cartons of regular soy milk. (They still had the vanilla flavor.) I wanted store-brand bran flakes, usually $1.80. Nope. I wouldn’t pay the $5.39 for Kellogg’s so I bought none. I again couldn’t get my preferred store-brand bread but bought another type of the store brand. Do you see a pattern here? What I and many others have always liked about Publix is their store brands. And then to top off my shopping trip I bought the wrong cheese - not on sale. On a positive note, they had a fairly good selection of the on sale salad kits.