Daily Check In: January 13, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In: January 13, 2022

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 am I should go to the crafting classes my library has and such more than I do.

So people, my kid gave me codes for both Apple TV and Hulu. If you have them what do you watch. Not in love with the Ted Lasso thing.
I had Apple TV free for a year and found very little to watch. The only short series I enjoyed is called Tehran, an espionage story with a woman main character. I’m a fan of international espionage series.

I have Hulu now (.99 deal) and have started watching Only Murders in the Building, a comedy mystery. Only 30 minute episodes. It is not fantastic but cute. Last year I watched Mrs. America and really enjoyed it. It is about Conservative activist Phyllis Schaffly but really is about the women’s movement in the 1970s. I think you’d like it. Also, if you haven’t seen Killing Eve, I think the first three seasons are on Hulu. Very quirky and some violence but I really enjoyed it. Both Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh are really good in it.

Edited to add that a lot of people like Handmaid’s Tale. Two friends loved it. I started watching a year or two ago and found it too depressing.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Hi everyone. It seems Murphy has packed his steamer trunk and moved in. Previously I mentioned my Glucose monitor had died. My NP ordered a new one. I had to pay for it because it is a new year and new deductible. So, $30.00 not too bad. I get home and open the box and it is a different monitor than I had been using. I call CVS and they said that model is no longer being manufactured. I have almost a 90-day supply of testing strips that are useless. Since Medicare already paid for them, I do not qualify for them to pay for new strips. So, I bought 50 strips out of pocket for $30.00. Bummer. I have asked various people if they can use the other strips. Nope. There is a company that will buy your extras strips but since the box has been opened, they are not interested. I might call a couple of nursing homes to see if they can use them.

I took my car in for service on Tuesday and to see why my check engine light was on. It had something to do with emissions. So, with the oil change and the repair everything came close to $400.00. I have decided not to buy a new stove now because I think I need to build a bigger emergency fund before I buy a big-ticket item.

The dealership sent someone out to pick me up after the car repair. He could not find my house. He called me three times trying to locate me. He actually had driven past my house. After he picked me up and we were out on a different road he said, " oh I need to pick up someone else" and he named the Village near me. He should have turned left after leaving my road, but he had turned right. So, I told him how to go cross country to that road. When we got to the road, he did not bother to look for the address since he was supposed to go" 6 miles out of town" to this other person's home. He did not bother to look for a house number until he had driven close to 6 miles from the village. He was way off. He finally called the other client and we had to drive back towards where we had met the main road. If he had looked at the house numbers when we got to the main road, we were only about 3/4 of a mile from the house... A drive that should have taken maybe 25 min ended up to over an hour and a half. I can only think that Murphy had a hand in this. lol.

It seems declaring January as a No Spend Challenge was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Murphy said, Dream on girl." lol.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, I think the modern age has given people attention deficit disorder all over the place. So sorry about the meter and strips: it makes a person dread having to replace anything.

Bev, you did the right thing. Rest up, even if you don't have Covid. (((Hugs)))

Logics, I am so sorry about your sister's car and her son being such a b*tthead. I hope she can get the car fixed without too much trouble.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I am so sorry to read of all the DSs with COVID cases. I hope they are all mild and are able to return to full-health quite soon. Bev, I am glad you took the time for yourself to make sure you are healthy and that you can avoid COVID. Everyone rest well and stay as healthy as we can under the circumstances of Omicron.

After my Grocery shopping adventure of yesterday, my back was killing me so bad, I resorted to taking a couple of "big gun" pain-killers i treat like gold for such occasions, Tylenol 3s with Codeine. That did the trick and I went to bed to straighten out and relax those muscles. I don't know if it is because of my spinal cord injury in 2011 or the back fusion a couple of years later but when my back has "had enough," I can barely lift my feet, usually my right leg which has always been weaker despite al the PT in 2011. I was SO glad to have hired that service yesterday! She was double masked, as was I, and gave me hand sanitizer when I got into the back seat. Leaving Safeway, I could barely lift my right foot to get into her car, I usually then just pull on a pant leg to get it in. That works. I would really have been a disaster is Courteny hadn't brought the groceries to the door of my apartment. There were a lot of canned goods in there and those things are killer heavy. I'm sure glad I don't live on any other floor but the first floor!

Zoe and I were comparing prices on groceries last night as the flyers from last week ended yesterday and the new ones are out. We are frugal shopping buddies and share out finds on sales and unadvertised good deals. I told her I was looking for the ranch dressing mix so I could make Patty's Taco soup. Within a few seconds she had found it on sale for 97 Cents at Canada's Giant Tiger Store. I didn't know they had so many groceries there! I thought it was mostly clothes but almost half the store is now groceries with really good sales. I hope the van starts this afternoon and after I shut it off, it will start again. I want to go and get those items at Giant Tiger.

I got green peppers and jalapeno peppers yesterday for my chili making for my birthday. The green peppers weren't in fantastic shape but they were good enough. I will have to chop all of the peppers up today and put them in the freezer. It will be good to have them there to use at will. I also have to repackage the hamburger into amounts for my tourtiere, Taco Soup, and Chili and then individual servings. That will keep me busy for a while.

Jackie's blizzard is going to come to Brandon later tonight. The snowfall warnings are out and we are to get a lot more snow than Jackie. We are estimated to get 10 to 20 cms. Usually, with that much, the TransCanada Highway gets closed as the wind across our VERY flat portion of Manitoba (from here to Winnipeg) causes zero or very bad driving visibility. As Jackie has stated, we have had 3 days close to melting or melting and so there will be a lot of icy roads in town and out. I hope things don't get too terrible. I sure hope we don't get icy rain!!

Mackie, I read the article. Very interesting. I found it particularly interesting that in order to recruit more grocery store workers they are increasing store security as people have been quitting due to trying to explain to customers why they had to follow COVID protocols in the store. The Hy-Vee grocery chain in my home neck of the woods (Mn, Iowa, South Dakota and a few other states in the area), had a training video made specifically to deal with the current store protection problems for staff and customers and have been hiring retired or current law enforcement (some who want extra money for the current ones) to be store security. Here's the kicker, they will be ARMED. I can't believe people are so entitled and angry as to hurt other people but look what has happened? People have been MURDERED for asking a customer to put on a mask. How did it come to this?? UGH.

Well, that's the skinny from around here. Time for lunch.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Beverley wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:11 pm Good morning,

Went to work yesterday to learn my class was closed. While there I got a call from the district office to report to another location for pre-K. It was a bit of a drive so it took me over 20 minutes to get there. In the meantime the teacher there closed her class before she knew I was coming. So I went home and the district office called. Told me another site needed help for the PM class. So I went there. While we were out for recess my son called me to tell me he had just tested positive for covid. So I was sent to the school nurse to be tested. Results came out negative. I finished my shift then went home totally exhausted. After giving a lot of thought I contacted the district office and the site I was at yesterday to let them know I was staying in. I could still be getting covid from DS since I live with him and also since I am diabetic felt the need for extra precaution. This morning would have involved being with up to 24 students in a small classroom which I felt would be unsafe for everyone. I will be out of work until Wednesday as it stands. I plan to get retested again on Tuesday. If the results are still negative I will consider that the all clear to return to work.

So for the next five days I will quarantine to be on the safe side. I am all vaxxed and boostered so if I do catch covid I should at least be able to avoid hospitalization. DS has had it for a few days and so far it has been mild for him even though he has not gotten his booster yet. I am not feeling that great so will rest up and take it easy. I hope all of you stay warm and safe. Rumor has it that this latest virus should be subsiding by the end of the month.

Bev
I cannot believe they had you driving all over the city for the day. That's kind of a crazy way to do things when the teachers have called off a class without knowing the division has sent you to be there. Seems like some better co-ordination should be going on there! Just my opinion.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 pm Hi everyone. It seems Murphy has packed his steamer trunk and moved in. Previously I mentioned my Glucose monitor had died. My NP ordered a new one. I had to pay for it because it is a new year and new deductible. So, $30.00 not too bad. I get home and open the box and it is a different monitor than I had been using. I call CVS and they said that model is no longer being manufactured. I have almost a 90-day supply of testing strips that are useless. Since Medicare already paid for them, I do not qualify for them to pay for new strips. So, I bought 50 strips out of pocket for $30.00. Bummer. I have asked various people if they can use the other strips. Nope. There is a company that will buy your extras strips but since the box has been opened, they are not interested. I might call a couple of nursing homes to see if they can use them.

I took my car in for service on Tuesday and to see why my check engine light was on. It had something to do with emissions. So, with the oil change and the repair everything came close to $400.00. I have decided not to buy a new stove now because I think I need to build a bigger emergency fund before I buy a big-ticket item.

The dealership sent someone out to pick me up after the car repair. He could not find my house. He called me three times trying to locate me. He actually had driven past my house. After he picked me up and we were out on a different road he said, " oh I need to pick up someone else" and he named the Village near me. He should have turned left after leaving my road, but he had turned right. So, I told him how to go cross country to that road. When we got to the road, he did not bother to look for the address since he was supposed to go" 6 miles out of town" to this other person's home. He did not bother to look for a house number until he had driven close to 6 miles from the village. He was way off. He finally called the other client and we had to drive back towards where we had met the main road. If he had looked at the house numbers when we got to the main road, we were only about 3/4 of a mile from the house... A drive that should have taken maybe 25 min ended up to over an hour and a half. I can only think that Murphy had a hand in this. lol.

It seems declaring January as a No Spend Challenge was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Murphy said, Dream on girl." lol.
Ah, shucky darn Janet. Somehow you got Jinxed! Maybe you need to clean out the air with some nice lavender smell in your house! ;)

I am so very sorry that all these expenses have caused you to defer the purchase of your stove. You seems so excited to be able to cook some things again that you haven't for a long time. Phooey!!

Oh, as for the testing strips, if the local nursing homes won't take them and you are a facebook user, check to see if you have a site for your town or area. We have two for our area, "People of Brandon" and Brandon Mutual Aid." On both of these sites people ask for help and give help. I have asked and gotten help when things were pretty dire around here. People will post that they have an item to give away and there are usually a number of people that need it or want it. That might be a good option as a home test user wouldn't be as concerned (or have rules and regulations against) using an open box of strips. Just a thought.

MJ