Daily Check In: January 13, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Daily Check In: January 13, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

Getting us started. Be right back.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In: January 13, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning. That I'm the first one here is really unusual. Hope you are all well this morning and not buried in snow or work or something awful.

I am taking an early coffee break, in this case a ginger ale break out of respect for my touchy tummy. The packages to be processed are already piling up around my desk. *sighs* The UPS truck makes its delivery after I leave for the day, and that drop-off was so large the driver left behind one of the huge cardboard tubs they use. I've never seen one of those before.

We've been discussing spot shortages in our grocery stores, and there's an article on the National Public Radio website that details why that's happening:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/1072462477/grocery-shortage-shelves-reasons?utm_source=pocket-newtab

After the shortages with the Alpha phase of Covid, I got smart and have built up the pantry, freezer and cleaning supplies, being careful to not let anything run out and replenishing when things got moderately low. So right now the pantry is well-stocked, the freezer is full and we're in really good shape for paper products and such. The only grocery store item we consistently can't find is cream cheese for DH's morning bagel.

Okay, back to work. Got a ton of parcels to process and cart to the mail room. Hope you all have a snug and peaceful day.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We are supposed to get a winter storm arriving this afternoon with snow accumulations up to 12 cm and blowing. I will be heading out this morning before the storm hits. That really is only about 5" or so of snow, but the melting conditions of the previous two days will have turned to ice and the snow on top of that will make driving conditions treacherous at best and the way some people drive down right deathly.

So on to some family news.

Eldest DS got his money refunded from the dealership for his catalytic converter repair. Still had to pay for the turbo repair, but is happy to have gotten back almost 2K from the other job. He sounded downright giddy about the whole thing as instead of being close to 5K it is now only just under 3K. Still a great deal but more manageable in his eyes. Not as big a debt to cover.

I will more than likely phone youngest DS and see how he is doing today. Texting is lovely, but I do actually need to hear his voice and ask if there is anything we can do from here to help him out. This is the time I hate living so far from one son and 2 1/2 hours away from the other. Not much we can do.

Hubby has his truck going in for service come the 21st of the month. Hopefully just an oil change and a sensor change on one of the tires. I would like to get my vehicle in after that for an oil change before we head to the city for my bone scan at the end of the month.

Tasks for today are shopping, banking, paying bills, sweeping the floors, tidy/organize under the sink in the kitchen (really messy under there), and then I get to have fun. Working on hand quilting in the afternoon and watching an Aussie series, and then in the evening finishing off scarf number two and watching Women of the Movement (second show of a limited series based on a true story).

Frugally this is supposed to be a clean out the fridge night for supper, but Hubby ate some of the leftover pulled pork not leaving enough for tonight, and I really do not feel like eating the leftover chili today. I will search the fridge for some bits and bobs to make into a meal, thus getting rid of a few need to use items as well.

My grocery list is made and I plan on sticking as close as possible to it unless a really good sale comes up and hits me in the face.

Combining errands has been saving me a great deal over the years and so banking, and shopping all being done on one day helps. I am hoping not to have to go out for another 2 weeks, perhaps the chances of getting Covid will have dropped by then.

So that's my day plan, and if something changes I will go with the flow...Which reminds me I need to go and print out a bill so I can pay it.

Today I am grateful that any storm that is coming will not start until this afternoon so I can get things accomplished this morning, and I even managed a few hours extra of sleep this morning after a fairly rough night.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:57 am Good morning. That I'm the first one here is really unusual. Hope you are all well this morning and not buried in snow or work or something awful.

I am taking an early coffee break, in this case a ginger ale break out of respect for my touchy tummy. The packages to be processed are already piling up around my desk. *sighs* The UPS truck makes its delivery after I leave for the day, and that drop-off was so large the driver left behind one of the huge cardboard tubs they use. I've never seen one of those before.

We've been discussing spot shortages in our grocery stores, and there's an article on the National Public Radio website that details why that's happening:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/1072462477/grocery-shortage-shelves-reasons?utm_source=pocket-newtab

After the shortages with the Alpha phase of Covid, I got smart and have built up the pantry, freezer and cleaning supplies, being careful to not let anything run out and replenishing when things got moderately low. So right now the pantry is well-stocked, the freezer is full and we're in really good shape for paper products and such. The only grocery store item we consistently can't find is cream cheese for DH's morning bagel.

Okay, back to work. Got a ton of parcels to process and cart to the mail room. Hope you all have a snug and peaceful day.
Thanks for the link, it made really interesting reading and just reinforced what I have been telling people about shortages here.

That being said I have see those hashtags here and now the anti-whatevers up here are using something similar only with our Prime Minister's name instead. We also have one of them calling for truckers to stop hauling on the 23rd or is it the 21st of this month, tying up the highways and causing more shortages. Yeah that's really going to make people follow you.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning Mackie and all.

Mackie, if your DS does test positive, I hope he has a mild case. I hope that Jackie’s DS has a mild case, too. It is everywhere. Friend who I visited at Christmas’s DS and his family all have Covid. I hugged them all on Christmas Day but they weren’t infected yet.

MJ, I’m glad that you have heat!

Owned, I hope that your DSis is settled at your house.

Patty, I’m glad that you are getting out in the nice weather.

I plan to mostly stay home but will go to mom’s house for a bit this afternoon. I think I have a bag of yard debris almost full to put out for tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have an eye appointment. Apart from my normal worrying about my eyes, I am a bit concerned about Covid since the doctor and assistants are so, so close to me. I could reschedule but I want to get it over with tomorrow.

I have Shediac, NB on the list I check for weather. That is the area I visited in 2019. They get a lot of snow but it is beautiful in summer. The beautiful B&B where I stayed in Cocagne is out of business. It looks like the restaurant where I ate two nights is also out of business. Covid has hit the area hard. I’m so glad that I visited when I did.

I need to renew my passport. I asked about passport photos at CVS. She said the cashier takes the photos. They are $16.99. Walgreens is $14.99. Mom had passport photos at Walgreens and they were rejected so I’m wary. But I called AAA. Their passport photos are only $8.50 for members and I have more confidence in them so I’ll go there, probably next week. (I want to color my hair first!)

Have a good day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, I hope all your tests come back showing you to be in excellent health, and that your DS has a very mild case. That's great news about your oldest son's vehicle. Getting $2K back must feel like a second Christmas.

FloridaCat, I was really concerned when I last went in for an eye exam, but everything was sanitized and everybody was wearing the high-protection masks. If the doctor's office is following the same protocol, you should be okay.

DS was feeling well enough to send me funny texts this morning. I need to look around and see if I can find a place where DH and I can get tested quickly, just in case.
Mackie