Daily check-in January 15, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily check-in January 15, 2022

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I was up at 7 am but after while crawled back into bed. I was tired as I had stayed up late last night. I do that on the weekends because CBC has lousy programming before midnight and I always listen to CBC to fall off to sleep or catch a good show. This morning I stayed in bed longer, when I did wake-up again, because one of my favorite shows was on CBC radio. It was funny and very interesting. It's a show called, Under the Influence," and is done by a reknowned advertising executive who talks about advertising and the way it is done around the Canada/USA and the world. So very interesting.

A good friend who is a trucker called to talk about how harrowing it can be for him, as a Canadian, to go into non-masking states (like South Dakota very anti-mask, no promo on Vaccines, etc. Their governor spent a great deal of their COVID funds to advertise on Fox news to vacation in SD because it was "open and free." It also has a very high death rate per capita but never mind that. . .). He said he gets challenging, nasty glances from people because he wears a mask all the time unless eating or in his truck. If people hear he is from Canada they like to start in on our health care system. LOL They don't know who they are messing with! :mrgreen: Mike was a Corporal in the Canadian Forces and has a history degree from Brandon University. He's very well read and knows how to argue with facts, reality and truth. That isn't something a lot of GQP don't these days. I do worry about his safety in some of those redneck towns.

Me? I'm taking it a bit easy today. I do plan on making a nice rhubarb pie using Mackie's pie crust recipe. That' "struedel" like topping is so nice on it. Thanks to Clem, I have packaged up a bunch of beans in individual servings for lunches this week. I really enjoy my beans, cheese, some sour cream and salsa for lunch. REALLY like it! I was thinking I'd make Chicken Marrakesh for supper in the crockpot. I took out some chicken to thaw out but it isn't quite at that point yet. I'll make it for supper tomorrow. Supper tonight might just be a sandwich and soup. Tomorrow? Brunch is homemade waffles!! I have an old fashioned waffle iron with the smaller squares (not a Belgian waffle) and love it. I'll make up a big batch of batter to have waffles for a couple more breakfasts at the start of the week. I hope to start making Sunday a waffle brunch day.

It's a nice day out -4c/25F here in Brandon. I'm thinking I might make it out to Shoppers sometime this afternoon to get some eggs. I want to get 4 dozen. I can only buy two today and two tomorrow. I want to cook a dozen into hard boiled for egg salad sandwiches and then have that one extra dozen for maybe making more hard boiled eggs. The other two dozen are used for baking and cooking for suppers, etc. A quiche sounds good too!

It's a NFL weekend! They have games tonight too. It's unusual to have Saturday games but with the playoffs and, I think, a delayed regular season start, they have these games tonight, tomorrow and then on Monday night. I sure enjoy my NFL football. College ball too but that season is over.

Well, time to wrap it up and get out the pie plate and Mackie's pie crust recipe and get my rhubarb pie started!

That's the skinny from here!!

MJ
Last edited by Prairie Waif2 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope has a good imagination.
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:19 pm I put the sugar skull fabric into the washer, when they go into the dryer I will do a white wash.

Breakfast was oatmeal.

I did zigzag the cut edges of sone of my new fabric. This cuts down on raveling when I wash them.

Then I cleaned and oil the bobbin area of my HD 4432.

Once I have slowly washed fabric I can then decide just what to do. I have some heat resistant interfacing to make hot pads they need to be preshrunk.

Penny
HD 4432, I recognize that. We've got three 4452's in our fleet. I think they're the same as the 4432s, but came with a few extra accessories (including the must-have walking foot). :)
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

MJ, I am so glad you are loving the pie crust recipe. It turns pastry-phobic people into pie-bakers, so I love to share it.

I bought a huge bag of apples at the grocery store, so it's about time for an apple pie around here. :-D
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Went to my brothers house for his birthday. We are all vaccinated.

Had some good brisket that he made and all the sides.

It is windy out here today. I hate the wind. I came home and the chairs on the back were tipped over - branches broken - small not big ones - knock on wood.

Hopefully it is supposed to stop in a couple of hours. It will be chilly tomorrow and then we go back to the 70s!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by frugalaaron » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:54 pm

itspennyc wrote: ↑Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:19 pm
I put the sugar skull fabric into the washer, when they go into the dryer I will do a white wash.

Breakfast was oatmeal.

I did zigzag the cut edges of sone of my new fabric. This cuts down on raveling when I wash them.

Then I cleaned and oil the bobbin area of my HD 4432.

Once I have slowly washed fabric I can then decide just what to do. I have some heat resistant interfacing to make hot pads they need to be preshrunk.

Penny
HD 4432, I recognize that. We've got three 4452's in our fleet. I think they're the same as the 4432s, but came with a few extra accessories (including the must-have walking foot). :)
Yes, but I wanted a couple of feet that didn't come with that so got the HD 4432 with the extra feet.

I prefer to sew on my 70 year old Singer 301. Straight stitch only but a real workhorse.

Penny
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DS's Covid test came back negative, which is good but puzzling as he had all the symptoms. I have read that the rapid test tends to give a negative result with active cases of Omicron (it did with my lovely boss, who repeatedly tested negative with the rapid test and only tested positive with a lab test). However, DS has been in quarantine so long that he'll be able to go back to work on Monday regardless.
Mackie