Daily check-in January 15, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily check-in January 15, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

Just to get us started.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Re: Daily check-in January 15, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning, everyone. It is 33 F here. We had a little bit of snow starting last night around 9:00 PM. Looks like there might be an inch or two on my deck but right now we have sleet coming down. It is still pitch black outside so cannot tell what we might have on the ground.

I did not make it to the recycling dumpster yesterday. Poor little Teddi got sick and threw up on my bed. He did try to jump off but did not make it. I tried to strip the sheets off quickly, but it went through to the mattress pad so had to do 3 loads of laundry before I could go anywhere. My aide does help but it took up too much time and too much energy to make the run before it was time for her to leave. We can go sometime next week.

Today I am going to make a loaf of bread of some kind in my new bread machine. Not sure yet what it will be. I am looking for a recipe that will go with the ingredients I have in the house.

Have a good and frugal day everyone and stay safe.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have woken up to a windy, but warmer morning so I hope to get out for a bit of a walk. I will need to make sure I have a toque on to protect my ears (I get terrible ear aches in the wind) put on the cleats and go for it.

I hope to get through the early morning chores very quickly so I can work on my hand quilting. I only plan to work on that project today and tomorrow so I hope to get an early start on it today. I, honestly thought that I would be finished the third scarf (and last one for the month) last night. Well I am not. Guess there was more yarn on this ball of fancy fur yarn than I thought there was.

I tried out the air fryer last night and this is another one of those trial by error appliances. Not sure if I am going to use it as much as I thought I would, but I bought it and now need to figure out how to use it. I think an actual deep fryer is something I really should have considered before this.

I am moving on to the last 2 sections of my kitchen to tidy, organize, and declutter. I have a feeling that the only section that will get done today is the drawers. A bit of an achy back and thighs today so I don't know how far I will get down on my knees for a long period of time. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Frugally no money will be spent and I have found some more darning to do (it is in a basket beside my chair to be done on Mending Tuesday). It seems like I do the same frugal things by habit every week, and truth be told I really need to find some new frugal habits now. Simple little things add up, and during this time of economic upheaval, pretty sure more could and should be done. I, am going to read some of my frugal books over once again and see if there are any tips that fit in with my lifestyle.

While I have noticed prices rising, mostly in the area of food, nothing brought this rise to my attention quite as much as this. I was walking past the pharmacy in Walmart and saw the masks on one of the end caps. Thought to myself hmmm, perhaps I should pick up another box of masks, if in the future we need to double mask (okay they are saying it is a good thing to do even now). I went to reach for a box and saw the price, pulled my hand back quite quickly. No way was I paying $14.97 for a box of masks that I paid $7.97 for just two weeks before. I will make do with what we have and if necessary use a cloth mask with a filter over the other mask.

Supper tonight is going to be pork chops, mashed potatoes, and a salad. I might even pull out the slow cooker and do the chops in there. If I put them in frozen on high to begin with I can always lower the temperature as the day progresses.

Today I am grateful that once again I can go out for some fresh air.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

nice sunny morning - didn't get as cold as I thought it would be. And not as windy.

I didn't go help at the food bank. No energy. I woke up at 5 to use the bathroom. I swear this this bladder - and then every hour after that. The pack went out at 7 and again just now.

Having my first cup of coffee. Hope to get some get up and go. Going to my brothers 60th birthday dinner.

Boy the pups are sleeping well! Lucky boys.

Have a great day
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I slept only eight hours last night, so I may be caught up on my rest.

Today's list includes washing all the sofa throws in the den. The pups like to snuggle on us when we're covered up with the throws. Also need to go to the grocery store, make something for my lunches, and cut DH's hair.

DS says he's feeling better. He finally gets a Covid test today: there's a local shortage of tests due to the massive number of cases. I can be tested at the university health clinic if need be, and I think DH may not even bother since he works from home and rarely leaves it during the week.

Hope you all have a peaceful day and all the ailing loved ones see some improvement.
Mackie
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

8 degrees here. Lots of frost on the windows.
I will bundle up in a minute for a quick blast of fresh air.
I am making pumpkin curry soup for dinner...a favorite of ours. And..it is a good day for soup!
My January reset for the house is going well. The kitchen is done and I am moving on to the bedrooms.
So far for January..I have only spent on groceries.
Stay safe!