Daily Check In January 16, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
snowangel729

Re: Daily Check In January 16, 2022

Post by snowangel729 »

Afternoon yall.

We had a huge snow storm for us last night and continuing into today. So far we have 8 inches of snow and its still coming down. With the windchill our heater is struggling to heat our house up. Current temps are 66 degrees in the house which is a little chilly for us.

Last night in preparation for today I made a 14 pound turkey so we have plenty of food even if we were to lose power.

Sadly this month is probably not the most frugal, DH had to pay.a 273 dollar speeding ticket and my car is currently in the shop and is going to cost an estimated 500 dollars and I had to pay for my application for licensure in nc and my jurisprudence test which was right around 290 this month so sadly we spent over our budget

Hoping next month is more frugal.
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

Big, beautiful flakes of snow are falling now. I'm not sure if we will end up with much accumulation though, here in the valley. Guess we'll see if my roof repair on the studio worked. On the other hand, the cabin--which sits on the plateau--might receive 5 inches.

MJ and floridacat, I'm sorry that our world is out of balance. Here's a 15 minute break (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert) from it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrEJmvuKSwo

Have a great day, everyone.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:41 pm His name is Jorge Diaz-Johnston and he was one of the people who sued for the right to marry his partner in Florida in 2014 so he was high profile. Killed near Tallahassee. That part of Florida is especially redneck. What a sad case. He was only 54.
I read about that - so sad
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:41 pm His name is Jorge Diaz-Johnston and he was one of the people who sued for the right to marry his partner in Florida in 2014 so he was high profile. Killed near Tallahassee. That part of Florida is especially redneck. What a sad case. He was only 54.
It's just so very sad. And they left their "final message" that to them he was "trash" by tossing him in a landfill. It's the Ku Klux Klan's newest reincarnation. How sad for his family and those who loved him. Rest now Jorge, you did well in your time here and loved big for the community of people who didn't love you back.
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

frugalaaron wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:10 pm Big, beautiful flakes of snow are falling now. I'm not sure if we will end up with much accumulation though, here in the valley. Guess we'll see if my roof repair on the studio worked. On the other hand, the cabin--which sits on the plateau--might receive 5 inches.

MJ and floridacat, I'm sorry that our world is out of balance. Here's a 15 minute break (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert) from it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrEJmvuKSwo

Have a great day, everyone.
Thank you Aaron.

I will listen to this desk concert tonight after my Sunday of NFL wild card games.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

All this hate for anyone who is different makes me despair. :(

On lighter subjects, we would have had a nice snow had it been a couple of degrees colder. The dogs kept coming in with big clumps of flakes on their backs, but it melted on the ground.

I had a big cookfest and am sitting down now to rest. I made a pork-black bean-sweet potato chili loaded up with spinach, tomatoes, sweet corn and some green peas. Used the rice cooker to make a big batch of a quinoa-millet blend to layer the chili over. Then I cooked a big pot of Irish steel-cut oatmeal with raisins and flaxseed and portioned that out in containers for my breakfasts. Final thing for my meals was making a batch of pumpkin muffins using a yellow cake mix and a can of pumpkin as the base.

For the dogs, I took the bones that I trimmed the pork from, cooked them a bit in a skillet to give them more color and flavor, then made broth from the bones and added a half cup of brown rice to cook in the broth. When the bones are cool, I will pick off the meat and run the meat and rice through the blender. That will probably tempt Lily Dog to eat a little.
Mackie