Daily Check In January 16, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In January 16, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm Janet, I got the rice and pork gruel made up and Lily ate very happily. The other two dogs also got a plateful. They love a homemade hot meal.That it sneaks good fiber into their diet is a secret plus.

I did the math one time, and it would cost me $40 a week to eat just lunch in the dining hall at work, and an additional $20 if I bought breakfast there. That's $3,000 per working year. So my hourly wage (in savings) for a couple of hours of prepping breakfast and lunch on Sundays is $30 an hour. This week I spent only $2 on lunch ingredients, as everything else was purchased some time ago.

Happy to hear all of the pups had a yummy meal made with love and a few ingredients at home. I know when we crunch numbers it really makes things more real about being more frugal. You are saving a lot of money that most people do not even think about. You go girl.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:21 pm I only have two lower cabinets that have doors. The rest are all pull out drawers - love it. A local guy built them for me. I even showed him my crock pot and big sauce pan so he would make sure to build them so they would easily fit. Our trash bin is also a slide out.

In one of the door cabinets, I added stainless stool pull out racks.
Clem Wow! What great ideas!
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:11 pm Heavy, wet snow is falling fast and furious - they are saying we will get 16 inches. The dogs are sacked out on my bed after a late evening walk with DD and company. I put an old blanket over everything because I knew they would be wet when they came in - even after we wiped their paws with a towel.

I did not get my cabbage bread made today - maybe tomorrow, maybe not. I got plenty done and will make chili tomorrow at the least.
I love snow but maybe not that much all at once. I hope you all stay warm and cozy. There is something about being warm and cozy when it is snowing that makes me want to cook and bake. Enjoy your day off and enjoy making your chili. That should hit the spot on a cold snowy day.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We had snow sometime between the time Teddi went out at 8:30 PM and 10:40 PM. Just enough to cover the areas of my driveway concrete that had melted today. Teddi is so curious when he goes out and sniffs and sniffs. So funny when he sniffs and then looks up at me as if to say What the heck?..lol.

Have a good night, everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm Janet, I got the rice and pork gruel made up and Lily ate very happily. The other two dogs also got a plateful. They love a homemade hot meal.That it sneaks good fiber into their diet is a secret plus.

I did the math one time, and it would cost me $40 a week to eat just lunch in the dining hall at work, and an additional $20 if I bought breakfast there. That's $3,000 per working year. So my hourly wage (in savings) for a couple of hours of prepping breakfast and lunch on Sundays is $30 an hour. This week I spent only $2 on lunch ingredients, as everything else was purchased some time ago.
I tried to show my niece this some time ago as to how much she was spending on Starbucks in a year. Unfortunately it didn't sink in. I looked at money like this for decades. I think that's why I held off on a cell phone for so long and then it's only a Pay as you Go Tracfone. My sister once told me she was spending around $130 a month for cell phones years ago for a period of 10 years. When I told her she spent $15,600 just for cell phones, it went in one ear and right out the other.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I totally agree that Mackie’s lunch calculations are the way to financial security, especially for anyone making a low or moderate income. I never made a lot of money but I was always VERY careful with what money I had. I was never into many of the Tightwad Gazette-type frugal activities (saving soap scraps, making homemade condiments and laundry detergent, etc.) but I almost never went out for lunch when I was working. Even now the vast majority of my Starbucks get togethers once or twice a month use Starbucks gift cards earned on Bing.

I must say I’m a believer that many people who say they “can’t make it” are not trying hard enough. Not the case for those who earn a very low income but for many. That is why I’m against some of the benefits in the Build Back Better bill which to me sets the income qualification level too high.