Daily Check In January 16, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In January 16, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm All this hate for anyone who is different makes me despair. :(

On lighter subjects, we would have had a nice snow had it been a couple of degrees colder. The dogs kept coming in with big clumps of flakes on their backs, but it melted on the ground.

I had a big cookfest and am sitting down now to rest. I made a pork-black bean-sweet potato chili loaded up with spinach, tomatoes, sweet corn and some green peas. Used the rice cooker to make a big batch of a quinoa-millet blend to layer the chili over. Then I cooked a big pot of Irish steel-cut oatmeal with raisins and flaxseed and portioned that out in containers for my breakfasts. Final thing for my meals was making a batch of pumpkin muffins using a yellow cake mix and a can of pumpkin as the base.

For the dogs, I took the bones that I trimmed the pork from, cooked them a bit in a skillet to give them more color and flavor, then made broth from the bones and added a half cup of brown rice to cook in the broth. When the bones are cool, I will pick off the meat and run the meat and rice through the blender. That will probably tempt Lily Dog to eat a little.
Wow Mackie you have been busy, I am impressed with the way you are combining food to make meals and to get ready for the work week. Seems like Lily Dog is going to have some yummy food to temp her to eat. I admire how much you and your DH do to take such good care of all of your pets.
Janet Alliesmama
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

It seems to be warming up around here, the temperature this morning is just at the freezing mark, so we should be above freezing for most of the day. Makes nice walking weather that is for sure. I might just take today off and rest up a bit though.

Not much happening on the old homestead today. I think I can probably organize, declutter and tidy one of the 2 double cupboards today. I am running out of steam and I really would like the front of the house organized and tidy before I take a break. After the kitchen all that is left is the dining area and I can probably do that in three or 4 days. So wish me luck.

I have pulled out one of my old organizing books to read a few chapters of at some point today. As I age, I notice that it gets harder and harder to reach those upper or very bottoms shelves. I am going to research ways to improve that so we can actually stay in our beloved home as long as possible. I am also researching the idea and cost factors of those various ways. At a certain age maintenance of property becomes the main cost factor rather than costly additions that you might not get back if and when you sell your property.

Tasks for today along with the above cupboard task are to do some baking, make next weeks to do list (adding in the truck service) and finishing anything on the previous weeks list that did not get completed. So the homestead will have it's usual quiet Sunday.

As Omicron takes off across multiple provinces and areas within the provinces Hubby and I have now definitely decided not to attend in person Mass. With Hubby's other problems (high blood pressure, enlarged heart, weight) and my osteoporosis and arthritis, we decided to err on the safer side and continue with online attendance until case counts ease. I know eventually we will succumb, but the longer it can be held off the better as far as I am concerned. Still it isn't the same as being in community and we really miss that. The envelopes will still be made out and either mailed or slipped into the office at times when there are very few people around.

I hope to be working on the hand quilting this afternoon as well as getting the ends sewn in on the scarves that were finished last night and the dish cloths that were finished a bit before. Two projects for the month actually completed.

I cast on the beginning of my first 2 needle sock pattern and managed to do about 1/2" before I hit the bed to read last night. That will be my project for evenings for awhile. I do have to get the sock loom out and read the instructions as I really would love to make a pair or three using that.

Supper tonight was supposed to be roast chicken, but there is a fridge full of leftovers that I want to clear out (not getting eaten by Hubby for lunches it seems, or me either) so tonight's meal will be a hodge podge of things. I should be able to make a fairly decent clearing of the shelves foray.

Today I am grateful that I remembered to take my bone building pill on the correct day. Not so grateful though that I couldn't have coffee right away.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
we are making accommodations in our home so that we can stay here as long as possible.

Taking doors off so that DH can get into some rooms easier, now with his walker, but earlier with his wheelchair.

greatful to our handyman, he listened to Dh to make changes, some of them are ugly, but not today's problem.

When we do leave, fixing up of things, new paint and flooring, it will be a "handyman special" and as is.

My girlfriend's mother in the last 10 years or so of her life, moved things that she used down on lower shelves. I'm starting to do that now. Part of the decluttering process.

IC
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

frugalaaron wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:10 pm Big, beautiful flakes of snow are falling now. I'm not sure if we will end up with much accumulation though, here in the valley. Guess we'll see if my roof repair on the studio worked. On the other hand, the cabin--which sits on the plateau--might receive 5 inches.

MJ and floridacat, I'm sorry that our world is out of balance. Here's a 15 minute break (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert) from it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrEJmvuKSwo

Have a great day, everyone.
A very nice message in that song. I’ve heard the name Maclemore but really didn’t know him so looked him up on Wikipedia. Interesting guy. Thanks.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

icfrugal1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:16 pm we are making accommodations in our home so that we can stay here as long as possible.

Taking doors off so that DH can get into some rooms easier, now with his walker, but earlier with his wheelchair.

greatful to our handyman, he listened to Dh to make changes, some of them are ugly, but not today's problem.

When we do leave, fixing up of things, new paint and flooring, it will be a "handyman special" and as is.

My girlfriend's mother in the last 10 years or so of her life, moved things that she used down on lower shelves. I'm starting to do that now. Part of the decluttering process.

IC
IC one of the things I have in my kitchen is the middle shelves in the lower cabinets slide out for easy access. They came with the house. I am checking into having them installed in the very bottom of the cabinet as well. Not sure if your husband has difficulty using his hands? I have arthritis as well as ALS. (Lou Gehrig's disease). ALS affects the hands and feet first them moves up the legs and arms. When I moved here, I had the lever type door handles installed on all of my doors. You do have to twist or turn them to get the door open. Just put pressure up or down to get the door open. Also, I am having a wheelchair height toilet installed in my second bathroom. When I moved here, I also had a taller toilet put in the master bathroom. Makes a huge difference on how easy it is to get up and down. Glad you are making things easier for him and you to stay in your home.
Janet Alliesmama
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:37 pm Nooooo! My Bucs were bad for SO many years that I am hoping they will win. (Yes, we won the Super Bowl last year but let’s make it two in a row 🙂.)

I was sorry that New England was crushed last night. My cousins in RI are of course big NE fans so I was hoping they’d win.
Congratulations Florida! The Buccaneers had no equal playing them today. The Eagles were lucky to have scored the two touchdowns they did.

Now let's see where your Buccaneers go next!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, I got the rice and pork gruel made up and Lily ate very happily. The other two dogs also got a plateful. They love a homemade hot meal.That it sneaks good fiber into their diet is a secret plus.

I did the math one time, and it would cost me $40 a week to eat just lunch in the dining hall at work, and an additional $20 if I bought breakfast there. That's $3,000 per working year. So my hourly wage (in savings) for a couple of hours of prepping breakfast and lunch on Sundays is $30 an hour. This week I spent only $2 on lunch ingredients, as everything else was purchased some time ago.
Mackie