Daily Check In January 17, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In January 17, 2022

Post by clemencia2us »

Patty

My BIL does intermittent fasting. I think he has gone as much as five days without eating. He seems okay. My sister, his wife does it occasionally. If it helps - why not.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

chocolite wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:05 pm Evening, all. Late check in for me. I’m watching the Rams beat the Cardinals in the playoffs. I’m pulling for the Rams, so yay.

Had a good day today. I got out for an ophthalmologist appointment. I was dreading it, but it really did me good to get out of the house. I double masked, but I noticed I was the only person there that did. Most everyone else was wearing the disposable medical masks. I had that one on plus a cloth one over it. It may be inevitable that we get Covid but I’m gonna put it off as long as I can.

On the way home I stopped at a Great Clips to get my hair cut. It gets shaggy so quickly these days. Then, I walked two doors down to a nail salon and got my eyebrows done. My eyesight just isn’t good enough to do them anymore, and I’ve been needing them done for so long. THEN, I walked back next door, ordered mine and DH’s supper, and brought it home. He had meatloaf, mashed potatoes. green beans and cornbread; and I had grilled catfish, green beans, cabbage and cornbread. I also got DH some banana pudding. Anyway, it was all really good. I told DH a cook with SOME SOUL made this food. Plenty of pepper and seasonings. Yum.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pain NP. I've learned about a new drug (actually, it’s an older drug) that has been proven to reduce nerve pain in a majority of patients. I want to ask her about prescribing it for me in lieu of a different drug that’s not really helping. I learned about it by watching a youtube presentation by a Dr. Ian Carroll on nerve pain at Stanford. She’s usually pretty open to my ideas and questions so hopefully this will work out. I’m always willing to try new things, as long as they are not detrimental, if there’s a good chance they may help me. And, I’ve found out that no one is going to advocate for me like I will advocate for me. So…it’s up to me to keep looking.

Anyway, I will double mask then too. I have a chuck roast that has thawed in the fridge, so tomorrow morning before I leave for the doctor I’ll brown it and pop in into the roaster along with some carrots, lots of celery, a small amount of diced potatoes, and onions. Then once I’m home from the doctor, I’ll put it in a low oven to cook for about 3 hours.

Then, tonight I did a grocery order from Walmart and am doing pickup – on Thursday morning between 9 and 10. So three days in a row! Red letter week indeed. My therapist will be thrilled. She gave me homework to just get out…even if it was standing on the front porch. Which I did Sunday morning, to admire the snowfall and take some pictures. It’s about all melted now but it was pretty while it lasted. Anyway, she won’t believe everything I’ll have done this week.

I got a new light therapy lamp, and a new three-tier cart to put it on, and I’ve been sitting with it on every morning for about 20-30 minutes. I think it might be helping. I guess time will tell.

I’m almost reluctant to bring this up but I’m really interested in what y’all think. I think I mentioned since the new year I have been on my eating plan which sort of combines intermittent fasting (17fasting/5eating) with low(er) carb eating. No simple sugars, no sweets. I’ve been losing weight which is a huge relief because I’ve felt stuck for so long, but even more impactful to me is the fact that my constant pins/needles sensation I have in both feet (but much worse in my left foot) seems like it could be letting up some. It’s still there every minute of every day, but it’s not as torturously painful. What do you guys think – could eliminating sugar actually help my chronic radiculopathy?

Hope everyone rests well tonight and has a good day tomorrow.
Patty my brother has short nerve degeneration disease. He does intermittent fasting and avoids sugar and gluten. However, he also did a leaky gut diet to get his body back under control. He has stopped the progress of the disease and even reversed some of the problems which involved severe pain and numbness. It is worth trying. I used to be in severe pain due to fibro however once I went gluten free the muscle pain decreased significantly and is gone unless I cheat and eat gluten. If I accidently eat gluten and sometimes, I do cheat I have severe muscle pain and increased tremors with my ALS. All of my relatives that have ALS that avoid gluten find their tremors are decreased by avoiding gluten and they have slowed down the progress of the disease. The last couple of months I have gone back to being dedicated to not knowingly eaten gluten and I feel so much better. I do not have celiac disease, nor does my brother we are both gluten intolerant.

Good for you getting out and doing so many good things for yourself. We used to have a sign in the therapy dept that stated. Never say "I can't" say "I will try "instead. Keep trying. You go girl!
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

chocolite wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:05 pm Evening, all. Late check in for me. I’m watching the Rams beat the Cardinals in the playoffs. I’m pulling for the Rams, so yay.

Had a good day today. I got out for an ophthalmologist appointment. I was dreading it, but it really did me good to get out of the house. I double masked, but I noticed I was the only person there that did. Most everyone else was wearing the disposable medical masks. I had that one on plus a cloth one over it. It may be inevitable that we get Covid but I’m gonna put it off as long as I can.

On the way home I stopped at a Great Clips to get my hair cut. It gets shaggy so quickly these days. Then, I walked two doors down to a nail salon and got my eyebrows done. My eyesight just isn’t good enough to do them anymore, and I’ve been needing them done for so long. THEN, I walked back next door, ordered mine and DH’s supper, and brought it home. He had meatloaf, mashed potatoes. green beans and cornbread; and I had grilled catfish, green beans, cabbage and cornbread. I also got DH some banana pudding. Anyway, it was all really good. I told DH a cook with SOME SOUL made this food. Plenty of pepper and seasonings. Yum.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pain NP. I've learned about a new drug (actually, it’s an older drug) that has been proven to reduce nerve pain in a majority of patients. I want to ask her about prescribing it for me in lieu of a different drug that’s not really helping. I learned about it by watching a youtube presentation by a Dr. Ian Carroll on nerve pain at Stanford. She’s usually pretty open to my ideas and questions so hopefully this will work out. I’m always willing to try new things, as long as they are not detrimental, if there’s a good chance they may help me. And, I’ve found out that no one is going to advocate for me like I will advocate for me. So…it’s up to me to keep looking.

Anyway, I will double mask then too. I have a chuck roast that has thawed in the fridge, so tomorrow morning before I leave for the doctor I’ll brown it and pop in into the roaster along with some carrots, lots of celery, a small amount of diced potatoes, and onions. Then once I’m home from the doctor, I’ll put it in a low oven to cook for about 3 hours.

Then, tonight I did a grocery order from Walmart and am doing pickup – on Thursday morning between 9 and 10. So three days in a row! Red letter week indeed. My therapist will be thrilled. She gave me homework to just get out…even if it was standing on the front porch. Which I did Sunday morning, to admire the snowfall and take some pictures. It’s about all melted now but it was pretty while it lasted. Anyway, she won’t believe everything I’ll have done this week.

I got a new light therapy lamp, and a new three-tier cart to put it on, and I’ve been sitting with it on every morning for about 20-30 minutes. I think it might be helping. I guess time will tell.

I’m almost reluctant to bring this up but I’m really interested in what y’all think. I think I mentioned since the new year I have been on my eating plan which sort of combines intermittent fasting (17fasting/5eating) with low(er) carb eating. No simple sugars, no sweets. I’ve been losing weight which is a huge relief because I’ve felt stuck for so long, but even more impactful to me is the fact that my constant pins/needles sensation I have in both feet (but much worse in my left foot) seems like it could be letting up some. It’s still there every minute of every day, but it’s not as torturously painful. What do you guys think – could eliminating sugar actually help my chronic radiculopathy?

Hope everyone rests well tonight and has a good day tomorrow.
Intermittent fasting can and does work for the weight loss, I wonder if that (the weight loss) and lower carbs is what has impacted the pins/needles sensation.

I haven't had much luck with intermittent fasting. I have lost some weight but need to stretch out the fasting portion of the day. I don't think I can go more than 16 hours at a stretch without having something to eat. I might combine a partial intermittent fast with making sure my daily snack (mid afternoon) is usually an apple or some kind of fruit or a fiber bar. Also need to get back to portion control.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 am Patty my brother has short nerve degeneration disease. He does intermittent fasting and avoids sugar and gluten. However, he also did a leaky gut diet to get his body back under control. He has stopped the progress of the disease and even reversed some of the problems which involved severe pain and numbness. It is worth trying. I used to be in severe pain due to fibro however once I went gluten free the muscle pain decreased significantly and is gone unless I cheat and eat gluten. If I accidently eat gluten and sometimes, I do cheat I have severe muscle pain and increased tremors with my ALS. All of my relatives that have ALS that avoid gluten find their tremors are decreased by avoiding gluten and they have slowed down the progress of the disease. The last couple of months I have gone back to being dedicated to not knowingly eaten gluten and I feel so much better. I do not have celiac disease, nor does my brother we are both gluten intolerant.

Good for you getting out and doing so many good things for yourself. We used to have a sign in the therapy dept that stated. Never say "I can't" say "I will try "instead. Keep trying. You go girl!
Wow Janet, that is so interesting about your brother and how his diet has actually reversed some of his numbness issues. And so encouraging, thank you for sharing. I will keep going. I hope over time to continue to reduce our gluten intake. It's in EVERYTHING these days, ugh.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 am Intermittent fasting can and does work for the weight loss, I wonder if that (the weight loss) and lower carbs is what has impacted the pins/needles sensation.

I haven't had much luck with intermittent fasting. I have lost some weight but need to stretch out the fasting portion of the day. I don't think I can go more than 16 hours at a stretch without having something to eat. I might combine a partial intermittent fast with making sure my daily snack (mid afternoon) is usually an apple or some kind of fruit or a fiber bar. Also need to get back to portion control.
Good luck with it, Jackie. On some level I've always known that, for me, it's all about the carbs. That's really the only way I've been able to successfully lose weight. The intermittent fasting on its own just doesn't give me the same results. I'm not being too hardcore for right now, but I'm trying to make sure that the carbs I do eat have some nutritional value to redeem them. Anyway, it's working for me to lose weight and I couldn't be more thrilled. Weighed this morning and I'm down 3 1/2 pounds from last week. When you have as much to lose as I do, it really helps keep me motivated to see a good loss like that, especially in those first weeks. I know the time will come when the weight loss will slow and stall, but by then I'm hoping that the difference in how I feel will sustain me to keep going.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Patty, the comedian and actor Tig Notaro nearly died in 2012 from an intestinal infection caused by C. diff, contracted as the result of antibiotics prescribed for pneumonia. She suffered from chronic intestinal pain afterward until she read that a vegan diet might help. She tried it and was completely pain free four days into the diet. She said that any time she tries to sneak a little cheese, the pain flares back up.

This probably works for her because it spares her body from exposure to other animal proteins, but it does speak to the power of diet to work on pain. If you find something that helps, go for it.
Mackie