Daily Check In January 17, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In January 17, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:43 pm I got the chicken and rice cooked after laundering all the dog beds and making a run to the At Home store. I bought DS a foam mattress topper and also bought a roll of egg crate foam and a sheer curtain panel for a couple of quick projects this evening.

I used part of the roll of foam and sewed together some scrap upholstery fabric pieces to make Rosie Dog a new bed. Her old one was worn out and smelled bad even after it was washed and dried. The extra pieces of foam went under the other two dog beds to make them more comfortable.

There was a big length of flannel in the fabric box that was just right for making into new blankets for each dog bed. I hope that everyone having the same blanket that smells the same will keep any jealousy from arising over the new bed. They are like a bunch of little kids!

Today when I took down the curtains in DH's office to wash them, I had an idea. Regular curtains are too dark on that wide, shallow window that's right up at the ceiling -- this is something you see in urban 1950s houses because it lets in light while maintaining privacy.

So I hung the curtain panel vertically over the rod that spans the windows, with an equal amount of sheer fabric hanging over the back and front of the rod. It fits perfectly and lets in just the right amount of light. Best of all, it cost only $7.99. He likes it, and he hasn't liked anything I put up there before.:D
Way to go Mackie. You are always an inspiration.
Janet Alliesmama
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

jckitty wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm Hello all,

Just as quick check in to let you know that while all is not wonderful around here we are okay.
I will try to check in more often but can't promise daily.
The virus has been thru my family more than once for some and now DD2 has to have surgery on the 24th. She developed an esophageal hernia and has to have surgery to fix it. She has had digestive issues for years and now this...but it is fixable. Just trying to get it fixed before it gets worse. You can see it thru her t shirts. Not going to lie, it's scary looking.

Because of all of the stuff going on and around I very seldom leave the property, I made a trip to the recycle depot and according to my life 360 app had not gone anywhere in 19 days and 20 hours.
I have watched the grands once a week for awhile, covid in the schools so remote learning. Then we went thru a week of pink eye...from the school.
I am still cooking at home and have been making buckets of soup and beans for the family as requested. I won't lie I am sick of my own cooking :roll: But the idea of going somewhere to eat sceeves me out to the point that I just can't do it.

I do try to read the forum daily, and pray for all of you. I continue to ask for your prayers for me and my family. This grey dreary weather gets to me a lot...seems to get worse as I get older. Trying to stay positive, hurry Spring!

JCKitty
Thanks for checking in. Sounds like you've been put thru the wringer. I hope things get better for you soon.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 pm MJ your Marrakesh sounds so yummy. I love Indian food. A dear friend of mine was from India, and she used to make yummy foods and have me over for dinner. I miss her she decided to return to India to teach psychology at a University in India near her family.
OMG - probably not the same, but when we were deployed to Kuwait - the food was so good. The shawarmas - mmmm.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well did the Zoom dance class tonight and found out that our neighbors both have Covid. We will be okay as we haven't really talked to them since Christmas. We kind of wondered as their vehicles haven't moved in three days.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

jckitty wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm Hello all,

Just as quick check in to let you know that while all is not wonderful around here we are okay.
I will try to check in more often but can't promise daily.
The virus has been thru my family more than once for some and now DD2 has to have surgery on the 24th. She developed an esophageal hernia and has to have surgery to fix it. She has had digestive issues for years and now this...but it is fixable. Just trying to get it fixed before it gets worse. You can see it thru her t shirts. Not going to lie, it's scary looking.

Because of all of the stuff going on and around I very seldom leave the property, I made a trip to the recycle depot and according to my life 360 app had not gone anywhere in 19 days and 20 hours.
I have watched the grands once a week for awhile, covid in the schools so remote learning. Then we went thru a week of pink eye...from the school.
I am still cooking at home and have been making buckets of soup and beans for the family as requested. I won't lie I am sick of my own cooking :roll: But the idea of going somewhere to eat sceeves me out to the point that I just can't do it.

I do try to read the forum daily, and pray for all of you. I continue to ask for your prayers for me and my family. This grey dreary weather gets to me a lot...seems to get worse as I get older. Trying to stay positive, hurry Spring!

JCKitty
Kitty, I'm so happy to see your post. Have thought about you a lot. You've been in my prayers and will continue to be. And I'm with you on asking Spring to just come on. (((Kitty)))
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Evening, all. Late check in for me. I’m watching the Rams beat the Cardinals in the playoffs. I’m pulling for the Rams, so yay.

Had a good day today. I got out for an ophthalmologist appointment. I was dreading it, but it really did me good to get out of the house. I double masked, but I noticed I was the only person there that did. Most everyone else was wearing the disposable medical masks. I had that one on plus a cloth one over it. It may be inevitable that we get Covid but I’m gonna put it off as long as I can.

On the way home I stopped at a Great Clips to get my hair cut. It gets shaggy so quickly these days. Then, I walked two doors down to a nail salon and got my eyebrows done. My eyesight just isn’t good enough to do them anymore, and I’ve been needing them done for so long. THEN, I walked back next door, ordered mine and DH’s supper, and brought it home. He had meatloaf, mashed potatoes. green beans and cornbread; and I had grilled catfish, green beans, cabbage and cornbread. I also got DH some banana pudding. Anyway, it was all really good. I told DH a cook with SOME SOUL made this food. Plenty of pepper and seasonings. Yum.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pain NP. I've learned about a new drug (actually, it’s an older drug) that has been proven to reduce nerve pain in a majority of patients. I want to ask her about prescribing it for me in lieu of a different drug that’s not really helping. I learned about it by watching a youtube presentation by a Dr. Ian Carroll on nerve pain at Stanford. She’s usually pretty open to my ideas and questions so hopefully this will work out. I’m always willing to try new things, as long as they are not detrimental, if there’s a good chance they may help me. And, I’ve found out that no one is going to advocate for me like I will advocate for me. So…it’s up to me to keep looking.

Anyway, I will double mask then too. I have a chuck roast that has thawed in the fridge, so tomorrow morning before I leave for the doctor I’ll brown it and pop in into the roaster along with some carrots, lots of celery, a small amount of diced potatoes, and onions. Then once I’m home from the doctor, I’ll put it in a low oven to cook for about 3 hours.

Then, tonight I did a grocery order from Walmart and am doing pickup – on Thursday morning between 9 and 10. So three days in a row! Red letter week indeed. My therapist will be thrilled. She gave me homework to just get out…even if it was standing on the front porch. Which I did Sunday morning, to admire the snowfall and take some pictures. It’s about all melted now but it was pretty while it lasted. Anyway, she won’t believe everything I’ll have done this week.

I got a new light therapy lamp, and a new three-tier cart to put it on, and I’ve been sitting with it on every morning for about 20-30 minutes. I think it might be helping. I guess time will tell.

I’m almost reluctant to bring this up but I’m really interested in what y’all think. I think I mentioned since the new year I have been on my eating plan which sort of combines intermittent fasting (17fasting/5eating) with low(er) carb eating. No simple sugars, no sweets. I’ve been losing weight which is a huge relief because I’ve felt stuck for so long, but even more impactful to me is the fact that my constant pins/needles sensation I have in both feet (but much worse in my left foot) seems like it could be letting up some. It’s still there every minute of every day, but it’s not as torturously painful. What do you guys think – could eliminating sugar actually help my chronic radiculopathy?

Hope everyone rests well tonight and has a good day tomorrow.
Last edited by chocolite on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patty