Daily Check In January 19, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check In January 19, 2022

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis,

Yes, today starts the first day of my last year in the decade of being in my 50s. I never thought I'd manage to live past 18 and here I am. I have tried to leave many times but some doctor has always drug me back. My poor shrink over all those years. He's managed to keep me alive and today? That seems like a good thing.

I made a BEAUTIFUL sour cream white cake last night. It turned out perfectly. It was a recipe where you take a store bought cake mix (my came in my Christmas Hamper) and add-in sour cream and use THREE eggs instead of the regular 1 or 2. I thought I'd get the lemon filling made last night but only had one egg for the Shirriff Lemon filling box mix. I cheated and bought the vanilla icing. I should get it all together

I have a HUGE dutch oven of chili simmering on the stove. I have been adding in peppers, onions and spices all afternoon. LOL. Zoe and Dayton stopped by with a Birthday surprise of a card and a wonderful goodie bag that included some of her canning and also some of her homemade perogies. I am going to have perogies for lunch tomorrow!! Once the chili is done, I'll have it as I always do on my birthday, Chili over rice!! It's my favorite meal of all time!! This was always my traditional birthday dinner that I had as a kid, well before Dad got sick. Then it kinda just became another day.

I got the dishwasher all loaded up this morning. Because I am out of dishwasher detergent, I'll have to wait to run it. That's okay. I have plenty of dishes in my digs to use. Looks like I have to bleach the counters again. It really is a weekly task as I said before, these counter tops are lousy!

Well, now that Patty has told us all that The Professor and The Madman are on Netflix? I am SO EXCITED to see if it is on Canadian Netflix so I can watch it tonight while having chili and cake!! I must recommend it to EVERYBODY!! What an amazing story it is!! You almost won't believe it is true!! So much real history in it too as it is a true to life story. The book was extremely good, I hope the movie does it justice.

No big plans for tomorrow unless I can get a ride to Safeway again to pick-up a few items that have landed on my grocery list. I'll really try to find a ride as the Van isn't starting and I agree with Zoe that we should boost it on a warmer day. Then? I have to boot my hiney out of the house everyday (regardless of the weather and NFL games) and start it just to keep the battery juiced.

That's the skinny from around here today. If you like chili? I wish you could smell how it smells in my apartment. SO GOOD!! Sorry to taunt other chili lovers!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

icfrugal1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 am Good morning,

Prayers are needed here.

Took DH in for his surgeons/wound care appointment yesterday.

He could barely make it from the car to the office, the wound care nurse had us go to the ER.

They admitted him yesterday, I couldn't go in with him.

He had left his phone at home, they did allow me to bring it and a couple of other things and they gave them to him.

I have told my younger sister and she said that she was on her way over, (how sweet is that?) but I told her not to come, I was just in the car.

DH's sister called last night, I didn't tell her, she has so much to worry about and there is nothing that she can do about it right now.

My family is "older" than the DH's family. his grandmother was just 4 years older than my mother.

We always talked about death, we had so much of it, it was just part of our lives.

Yesterday, DH told me that he didn't want to be buried that he wanted to be above ground not in the ground. (I forget what it's called )

His mother' has room in her's, but he said no he wanted to be with me. that is sweet :shock:

when my father died in 1985 I bought a plot near him, so that won't work now, I'll have to look into another place, the same cemetery as my family, not his.

My parents are buried, not together, but in the same cemetery, also my grandparents, (3 of them) and great-grandparents.

I'm glad that he told me, no, he is not dying right now, but we are 71.

We will find out today if he is released or taken to another hospital for more tests. He does have CHF. (congestive heart failure)

The dogs are missing him.

IC
IC, I will be thinking of you, I am so sorry to hear this news.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good evening, all. Happy Birthday to You, MJ.

I had another successful (that means I didn't fall) on-foot commute to and from work. It was in the 40's today - what we New Yorkers call "warm". Have warmed up a bowl of split pea soup for supper and had that. All is quiet in DD's part of the house. They are either sleeping or she is working on school work and he is doing - who knows what. They did not finish the driveway today but I can tell that all the cats were fed and the dogs were walked.

As I am temporarily without transportation, I called a medial clinic today that is within walking distance to try to get an appointment for my ear. They will not see me. She said one of the doctor's is taking new patients but no openings till Feb. unless I go to another town 20 miles away and SWITCH to that doctor and then they can see me in my town. I explained I don't want to switch doctors and told her my situation - didn't make a difference. I need to make sure I get my car situation figured out this weekend - I am quite sure I only need a new battery for my key fob and get the driveway cleared so I can make an appointment with my own doctor. Fortunately, the discomfort is very tolerable - still at about a "4" - sometimes even less.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Beautiful day - it got up to 80 degrees!

But tomorrow is supposed to be bad - for us south texans anyway. Schools have already announced closures.

We might get sleet, snow or ice. So no school.

Crazy weather.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Update:

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! They are working! It's been a lovely day around here! (even if the windchill brings the temp to -40C/-40F.

I was told there are no calories on your birthday so I really enjoyed my chili. Since I didn't get my lemon filling made last night, due to not having two eggs, I made it tonight and it is cooling in the fridge. I will be up late so I'll probably having my cake closer to 10:30 pm or so. I'm looking forward to it!!

SAD NEWS!! The movie, The Professor and The Madman, isn't on Canadian Netflix yet. I hope it does come to Canada's netflix. Now that I know it exists? I REALLY want to see it! Patty, tell me who stars in each of the two main characters! Thanks! I sure hope you like the movie!

I'm staying up late tonight and just going to be goofing around. When I saw Dayton and Zoe today, I asked Dayton is she remembered I told her that I knew what I was giving her for her birthday this summer. She did! So I told her I had looked all over town (I did) and that I had to special order it in for her (Amazon comes through). The box of 12 watercolor/colored pencils is to come in by Saturday.

I watched President Biden's press conference this afternoon. Almost two hours! I thought he did a good job. One "reporter" from Ultra Right-wing Newsmax asked, "49% of Americans think you're aren't cognitively well. Why would they think that?" President Biden just said, "I don't know." Maybe he should have fought back and said, "Because almost every night on Fox News, Carlson, HAnnity and Ingraham are selling that agenda and those who watch FOX news believe anything." I always remind people that trump's doctors are the ones who asked for him to get tested for cognative decline. Remember the "Man, woman, TV, camera" stuff? That was when then tested him for mental decline. Well, the rest of us knew he didn't need any test. You could see it! LOL Enough politics for today.

Onward to find something else to watch on Netflix. I'm so sad we don't have The Professor and The Madman on Canadian Netflix. Phooey!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Well here it is, seven forty five and I'm just checking in.

Patty, I also have some mobility issues and have fallen twice in the past year. This is why half of my hour workouts are on strenghthen in my legs and my arms. I also took a seminar in Denver before I moved on falling. It wasn't about how to avoid them as such, but how to make walking easier, how to let other people know you need space and not to crowd you and how to ask for help and so on. I started using a cane then even if I didn't need it because on public transportation or in the movies if I waved it about, people would give me space. I now have a ntiro walker as well which I try not to use if I dont need it.

IC, I will be thinking of you.

MJ, Happy birthday.

My daughter is coming Friday to help me instead of today. Since today it was warm and tomorrow and the next day it will be frigid, I took some time to go outside today, and went to have gourmet grilled cheese at our local artisan cheese shop. It hit the spot. I also cut up fabrics, ordred the cotton string to warp my loom and did a few other things including seated aerobics and a ten minute walk.

I am slowly learning to manage myself around my pain level so that I am not exhausted and do not over due.