Daily Check-in January 20, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in January 20, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

Quilter51 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:27 am Morning all

Janet, I will be thinking of your family.

I know it's frustrating but I suspect that they are getting medical care there that is at least as good as they would get at home, although it can be frustrating being so far from home. If I could go to the warm and get away from all our political stuff I would do it. I do think we will almost all get Covid in some form before the year is out and that all the vaccine will do is lessen the symptoms. That doesnt mean I'm not masking and all that, but I think it is what it is.

I seem to be on the asleep by ten and up around six thirty to seven thirty merry go round right now which is fine for me. It's a crappy twenty some degrees out right now (which is warm for some of you I know), and will warm up to a crappy thirty six degrees. I am going nowhere. Got out of bed, kicked up the heat, got my coke and am now back in bed till the house heats up.

I've decided that I will cut wherever I need to but 69 at night and 72 or so day is the lowest I am going. Granted that is electric heat.

Today I need to get the trash out and empty the dishwasher and put in a load of clothes. Oh and then throw the pork chops in the slow cooker. That's my housework quotient for the day.

After that I plan to knit, cut out all the fabrics for the valentine quilting from the fat quarter set I ordered and work on other creative projects. I also have a new book. I also need to walk twenty minutes inside and do a seated aerobic routine,

Back later
Quilter, they have been going to Mexico for over 20 years. They have wonderful Drs. A medical Dr as well as a pulmonary Dr and dentist. My SIL has been in the hospital many times due to her lung problems. She said the treatment she receives is comparable to what she has received here.

I too have electric heat. It is a heat pump but when it goes into the 20's it switches over to auxiliary heat and it really get too hot for me.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LogicsHere wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 am Sorry to hear about your family and their bouts with Covid. Wishing them all short and mild cases.
Thanks Logics.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Quilter I stay at around 70 all winter. Even at that it feels chilly some mornings when I get out of bed. I think you all might giggle if you saw me sitting here in a heavy fleece robe, with a blanket wrapped around me and fingerless gloves on my hands. As I warm up, layers disappear and I finally end up with just a shawl around my shoulders.

Not much happening, but it seems I really slept in. I either need to set an alarm on my phone tonight or perhaps pull the echo dot from my sewing/craft room and get that set up in the bedroom with an alarm. I am really thinking of adding a dot for just that purpose at some point this year (relatively inexpensive, really not much more than a very good alarm). Youngest DS would be so proud of me for thinking that way.

So what is my list of old homestead chores for today.... Oh my, it is a short list.

Sweep floors, tidy the hall closet, tidy the hall, do unfinished chores (really isn't any today but I always put this on a few days lists in case I get a bit lazy), and a not real household task but something I do need to get done watch session 4 of the bible study program for Lent.

I hope to get our main closet tidied and organized today along with clearing some items that are lining the hall walls back to their normal homes. I would also like to get the hall bench cleaned off and organized inside. I think another culling of the scarves and mitts is in order.

If I get all that completed (really isn't much in the grand scheme of things) I will perhaps make some cinnamon buns to use up the last of the cream cheese frosting being kept in the fridge.

Then the afternoon will be spent working on the rug, I should manage another 2 or hopefully 3 sections today. I am asking myself if I should just continue with this project until completely done or keep rotating between this and the hand quilting. I am getting very tempted just to finish one off and then the next. It seems to take so very long when I switch them out. I do get bored working on long projects though. What to do.

Frugally no money will be spent today. Tomorrow is another story as we take Hubby's truck in to be serviced and or repaired. I do hope it isn't too expensive. I, wish sometimes that we lived in the US where the costs of repairing a vehicle (well pretty much everything is) is lower. Then I remember our universal health care and say I am staying right where I am.

Supper tonight is going to be a sausage casserole. Hubby loves this and there will be enough left over for us to eat on Saturday.

Today I am grateful for what hopefully is warmer weather today.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 am It is for this exact Covid reason I am worried about relatives who are holidaying in Mexico right now. I heard the cases are rampant, and the countries vaccination rate is very low. Many who have traveled down there from here are now stuck down there with Covid and having to rebook their flights back to Canada as they need to be negative in order to get on a plane and across the borders home. Many have had to change hotels at their cost and the changed flights usually cost an arm and a leg they are finding.
I know when the pandemic broke out my SIL was still there and had a heck of a time getting out of Mexico due to the airlines would cancel the flights if they did not have a certain amount of people flying. It was not profitable. My brother has a timeshare for his guests at the hotel next door to their condo and the nice thing is they make arrangements for someone to come to the hotel to do the covid testing in order to be able to fly. They are so nice to my brother and SIL. Quite a few years back my SIL was out with friends and was mugged for the gold necklace she was wearing. It had belonged to her son who had been killed. Another Mexican man chased the guy down and got the necklace back however my SIL was pretty well banged up and could not walk up and down the stairs at her condo. The guys from the hotel would come over and carry her up and down the stairs in a chair. Really kind and caring people there in addition to the occasional problems which we have here as well.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, I am sorry your SIL and others in the family are sick. This variant is viciously contagious. I hope she will recover well, and the others too.

My brother who is sick with it texts me every day to let me know how he's doing. He's not terribly sick but is not recovering quickly. It does take a while at our age.

Covid is still booming here on campus. School has been in session nine days and there have been over 400 documented cases. Most of them were caught before school started and they convalesced at home, but we've had no true drop-off in those who have to go into isolation at school.

Yesterday's work assignments (on top of Covid kids and other things) including accompanying the guy changing out fire extinguishers, so we climbed many flights of stairs. My worst knee did not give out on me, thank goodness, but I took Tylenol when I got home and collapsed on the sofa. The fire extinguisher guy is very fit but about my age, and even he said, "You've got to be kidding!" when I showed him how far up some of the rooms were. But he was carrying two fire extinguishers at a time, so he was getting pretty tired.

It's turning off rainy again here, and tomorrow is supposed to be very cold again. Typical January.

Hope you all have a peaceful day.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

The weather wasn't as bad as expected. They closed most of the schools in the big city in case we had snow and ice - didn't happen. Which is good. We can't handle that stuff!

But it might be coming later tonight. The temps won't go above 40 or so. Yes that is cold for us.

I'm all bundled up but have take the pack out already. Having some hot coffee. I know it is all mind over matter, but recently my mind is not working at 100%.

Will probably just hang out in pjs today.

Do plan on making my crockpot chicken and dressing.

Have a great day.