NPR piece on overcoming money avoidance

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

NPR piece on overcoming money avoidance

Post by MackerelCat »

It's money avoidance in the sense of not dealing with money issues. It's a really interesting take about how we are hardwired from our primitive selves to avoid things we find unpleasant and how to overcome it:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/23/1067497505/money-avoidance-spending-habits-change
Mackie
clemencia2us

Re: NPR piece on overcoming money avoidance

Post by clemencia2us »

Interesting article

And yes I sometimes practice that!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I am setting this aside to read tonight!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Finally did something I had been avoiding

Pay the property taxes! They are due by the end of the month if you do not want a penalty.

And really it is only for the undeveloped back acre. We are exempt from taxes for the homestead due to the CODs 100%VA disability

And yes I had the money - but for some reason I just hate using pay site. I get nervous thinking I am going to hit the wrong button etc. The older I get the more I worry. Should it not be the other way around???

Well it is done and receipt has been printed.

I also had to pay my share of the taxes on the mansion and I had no problem logging on and taking care of that as soon as I got the bill. See I can do things for others but for myself - so hard.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Clem, I always put myself last. I think women have it culturally pounded into them to serve others first.

DH and I finally made a decision about a financial institution to set up our property tax and house insurance account with. The property insurance includes the vehicle insurance and is paid twice a year, and the property tax is once a year, so a lot of money accumulates and he wanted to find something that paid a little better than what Regions and USAA were offering. This took us a while because we are totally wedded to our comfort zones.
Mackie
GJspins

Post by GJspins »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 am It's money avoidance in the sense of not dealing with money issues. It's a really interesting take about how we are hardwired from our primitive selves to avoid things we find unpleasant and how to overcome it:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/23/1067497505/money-avoidance-spending-habits-change
I do this with Dr visits amount owed & insurance. Well I don't mind doing it for me & kids, but not for DH, ugh! I think he could do his own just fine, especially as he has the CC's and I don't.