Daily Check in Jan 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check in Jan 21, 2022

Post by frugalmom »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:29 am Good morning, Maggie and everyone. Today is a day off - but again, my dogs don't understand "day off" so I've been up for a couple of hours. Breakfast was my own concoction of "refried corn bread" with some shredded cheese and tomato sauce - I am in "waste nothing" mode.

I am going to go see if I can get a little more sleep. Later today will be shoveling out the end of the driveway and getting my car going. Everyone take care.
How are you Happy Daze?! That sounds scrumptious-"refried cornbread"-what is it really-just cornbread fried up again in the skillet to warm it up? I have the hankering for cornbread now-lol! It may go good with the sopita (I think that was what it was called) that I made a couple of days ago. Like a tomato soup with star pasta which I made and served with flautas (taquitos) on the side to dip in. Got the recipe from I think it is Simply Mama Cooks on YouTube. The flautas or taquitos (she said it is both) tasted awesome (I cheated with the Costco rotisserie chicken and shredded it for the filling). That really was a hit, but the kids would not even taste my soup! Truthfully, the soup was just ok-like a tomato soup, but I liked the tomato soup in a can better (think bc I used the whole can of tomato sauce so I did not waste it-so don't do that!). I did like the star pasta though-well until it really bloats up. Good to touch base with you and all the fellow frugalites on board!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Well it is chilly but not as bad as they were saying. We were freaking out thinking about snow and ice. It didn't even freeze!

My niece works at a local hotel and she says it got booked up by an electric company sent out here just in case they were needed. So that is good. The sun is almost out.

I slept okay. The COD was still up and about at 7am! The pack went out already and so I went back to bed until after 10. Now I am having my coffee and warming up water for some oatmeal!

Have a great day
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Hi everybody! Checking in with you all! Hope everyone is doing well! On occasion, I do check-in, but then it is usually late at night and if I post at the end of these daily check-ins I don't think anyone is up to read them or goes back the next day to read them as they are on to the next day!

I am back to a lot of kids (almost all grown) back in my house once again! And here I was waiting for the last kid to grow up and go! Second dd is having a baby and moving back home (her fiance had broken up with her prior to finding out she was pregnant). So what is, is what is-she is almost 30 yo. This is the dd who was a tomboy and did not want to start wearing a bra in 5th grade and you guys told me to just put the bra in the drawers for her and she will use it when she is ready! Yeah, she is all grown up now! My dh was very upset (very old school traditional guy) and had to calm down and even though she is 30 yo, I told him I am not happy about her situation, but I am not abandoning my daughter and that is that! For a moment there, I was not sure if he was going to divorce me over this even-he was that upset. Other guy was a scumbag loser anyway-so I do not want her suffering with him (she always tries to see the good in people and I taught her to be a nice person,but she is sometimes too nice for her own good). He ended up going with some other girl anyway. So that was drama in our family.

On a happy note, the baby will be born in April and our first granddaughter named Zoey! It will be a bit crowded in this house as two daughters moved back in with ALL their stuff from apartments, so I had to be creative with furnishings. My dh will not sell or get rid of anything he paid his hard-earned money for-sigh.

So I made a long dresser (took off the mirror) into those long tables in the living room on the sidewall to hold pictures,etc. In the drawers itself, I actually put plastic food containers bc I can never find the set, so one drawer has lids and one has the containers. Then paper plates,etc in one drawer. It is near the kitchen, so I can grab what I need. My kitchen is terrible for storage, so this kind of helped ease that situation. I dealt with the other stuff too but the room was in office (after she moved out) and I had bookshelves built in and I guess we have to undo everything now-we are still in limbo. She has to put the closet back in, my garage is completely full and we are working around her stuff-joys of motherhood never stop even when they are older (she will soon find out)! I do not know what possessed me to have so many kids :shock: !

Oh and we just got over quarantine bc Preston got Covid! Luckily he was vaccinated (not boostered yet). I was really worried we would get it from him because I always get something when he gets anything. Thankfully, maybe bc we were fully boosted/vaccinated we did NOT get it despite he was pretty bad for a bit. He said it was the sickest he had ever been. My other dd who just graduated and hopes to go into the medical field (although she is a hypochondriac I tell her so Idk if that is a great idea-lol! She thinks she has everything under the sun!) was very strict and we had air purifiers going, didn't turn any heat on just in case it goes through ventilation systems and her room is next to his, si she used trash bags to set up his tent wall to go to the bathroom so it would not affect her side. After the tent wall, she slept downstairs for the 2 weeks (he was quarantined for 10 days bc he kept testing positive) and used the downstairs bathroom! Well, I can't complain bc she never gets sick with her methods from others-she will wear gloves and we also masked up INSIDE the house just in case one of us came down with it! Yeah, it was weird I know-but again you gotta do what you gotta do!

Since the house was getting crowded-it didn't seem as crowded when they were kids and sharing rooms. Now it seems like it is really crowded and when the baby comes I am sure it will be even more so. Then we thought we would travel after dh retired, but of course, our luck Covid hit and now I will be taking care of the baby as my dd goes back to work after a few months. Never going to be able to travel-I should have done it when I was younger but then we were raising a big family! Oh btw, be careful if anyone is going to Hawaii-we know so many people who traveled to Hawaii and end up coming back and getting Covid right away so Idk if it was the plane or what but everyone we know who went got it. So just a heads up! I know others who traveled elsewhere and they were fine like to Canada, but Hawaii was the common factor with these people.

Preston's business is doing very well for a teenager starting his own company. I am helping with doing the sales taxes,income taxes, etc and my head is spinning. I just gather the data and figure numbers out, but I have a CPA actually check and do the work so I make sure it is right! But what a headache and I am figuring like how do people know this stuff when opening a business and I know a lot who don't even speak English well and how do they navigate this all!? We are finding out that small businesses are basically taxed up the wazoo in CA and everything seems to be taxed! He was just telling me how some teachers complimented on his hoodies and where did he get them? He said I bought it online-didn't even tell them that was his business and design!

I wanted to show him how hard it was to do your own business(so he would go to college and do something ELSE!) especially with taxes,numbers/accounting and we even have been scammed by a few people who would order and use other people's credit cards so we also had to take some losses. Or they lie and said they never ordered it or did not give authorization for their kid to order,etc and they got the item and of course, don't return it. And credit cards usually take their customer's side and not the business! Luckily it is not too bad, but still!

Ok, so that was a "brief" update on our lives ;)! Yes, it is crazy busy as usual-I wish it was controlled chaos, but ok I admit it is more like a madhouse crazy looney toons life. If anyone has any ideas on how to get it into controlled chaos or more peaceful-please let ME know!! I have been trying to figure it out but it is taking a lifetime for me! Oh and my dh, the one who got a second chance at life-you would figure he would have changed-yes, he did but for the worse! Like I keep reminding him God sent you back for some reason, I am still trying to figure what that reason is!? I mean I am glad he is back and all, but he does drive me up the wall too! He woke ME up at 4 AM this morning to cook his breakfast bc he could not sleep since midnight (when I went upstairs to bed-guess I woke him up). I don't know about YOU all, BUT as much as I love my dh, I am NOT waking up a 4 AM in the morning to cook him breakfast! Then he went back to sleep later in the morning as I heard him snoring, BUT Then I was up from 4 AM til I wake up at 6:30 (I make my son's breakfast before school). So basically as I am typing this, I am a zombie this morning despite the coffee I made. BTW, Costco has some beignets in their freezer section which I bought(hazelnut) and I do not eat sweet stuff usually-but these are pretty good. My kids love them and they don't eat much sweets either but they like these! Best one I have had-Idk how authentic they are but they are yummy-we can only eat one or two bc then it gets too sweet and they are smallish.

Ok wrote too much as usual-sorry-lol! But good to touch base with you all and my love to you all and best wishes for the new 2022 new year! Keep me up to date with you all and if anything happened on our frugal forum like I hope everyone is in good health and doing their best!
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

frugalmom wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm Hi everybody! Checking in with you all! Hope everyone is doing well! On occasion, I do check-in, but then it is usually late at night and if I post at the end of these daily check-ins I don't think anyone is up to read them or goes back the next day to read them as they are on to the next day!

Enjoy hearing from you and always love reading your posts.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Frugal Mom, a grandbaby is always a blessing. And she couldn't ask for better grandparents.

I am back from the ortho guy, who gives the best joint shots ever. He said it would hurt when the numbing agent wore off, so I took Tylenol when I got back to the office as a preventive measure. Probably the best thing was it didn't cost anything other than the regular co-pay.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalmom wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm Hi everybody! Checking in with you all! Hope everyone is doing well! On occasion, I do check-in, but then it is usually late at night and if I post at the end of these daily check-ins I don't think anyone is up to read them or goes back the next day to read them as they are on to the next day!

I am back to a lot of kids (almost all grown) back in my house once again! And here I was waiting for the last kid to grow up and go! Second dd is having a baby and moving back home (her fiance had broken up with her prior to finding out she was pregnant). So what is, is what is-she is almost 30 yo. This is the dd who was a tomboy and did not want to start wearing a bra in 5th grade and you guys told me to just put the bra in the drawers for her and she will use it when she is ready! Yeah, she is all grown up now! My dh was very upset (very old school traditional guy) and had to calm down and even though she is 30 yo, I told him I am not happy about her situation, but I am not abandoning my daughter and that is that! For a moment there, I was not sure if he was going to divorce me over this even-he was that upset. Other guy was a scumbag loser anyway-so I do not want her suffering with him (she always tries to see the good in people and I taught her to be a nice person,but she is sometimes too nice for her own good). He ended up going with some other girl anyway. So that was drama in our family.

On a happy note, the baby will be born in April and our first granddaughter named Zoey! It will be a bit crowded in this house as two daughters moved back in with ALL their stuff from apartments, so I had to be creative with furnishings. My dh will not sell or get rid of anything he paid his hard-earned money for-sigh.

So I made a long dresser (took off the mirror) into those long tables in the living room on the sidewall to hold pictures,etc. In the drawers itself, I actually put plastic food containers bc I can never find the set, so one drawer has lids and one has the containers. Then paper plates,etc in one drawer. It is near the kitchen, so I can grab what I need. My kitchen is terrible for storage, so this kind of helped ease that situation. I dealt with the other stuff too but the room was in office (after she moved out) and I had bookshelves built in and I guess we have to undo everything now-we are still in limbo. She has to put the closet back in, my garage is completely full and we are working around her stuff-joys of motherhood never stop even when they are older (she will soon find out)! I do not know what possessed me to have so many kids :shock: !

Oh and we just got over quarantine bc Preston got Covid! Luckily he was vaccinated (not boostered yet). I was really worried we would get it from him because I always get something when he gets anything. Thankfully, maybe bc we were fully boosted/vaccinated we did NOT get it despite he was pretty bad for a bit. He said it was the sickest he had ever been. My other dd who just graduated and hopes to go into the medical field (although she is a hypochondriac I tell her so Idk if that is a great idea-lol! She thinks she has everything under the sun!) was very strict and we had air purifiers going, didn't turn any heat on just in case it goes through ventilation systems and her room is next to his, si she used trash bags to set up his tent wall to go to the bathroom so it would not affect her side. After the tent wall, she slept downstairs for the 2 weeks (he was quarantined for 10 days bc he kept testing positive) and used the downstairs bathroom! Well, I can't complain bc she never gets sick with her methods from others-she will wear gloves and we also masked up INSIDE the house just in case one of us came down with it! Yeah, it was weird I know-but again you gotta do what you gotta do!

Since the house was getting crowded-it didn't seem as crowded when they were kids and sharing rooms. Now it seems like it is really crowded and when the baby comes I am sure it will be even more so. Then we thought we would travel after dh retired, but of course, our luck Covid hit and now I will be taking care of the baby as my dd goes back to work after a few months. Never going to be able to travel-I should have done it when I was younger but then we were raising a big family! Oh btw, be careful if anyone is going to Hawaii-we know so many people who traveled to Hawaii and end up coming back and getting Covid right away so Idk if it was the plane or what but everyone we know who went got it. So just a heads up! I know others who traveled elsewhere and they were fine like to Canada, but Hawaii was the common factor with these people.

Preston's business is doing very well for a teenager starting his own company. I am helping with doing the sales taxes,income taxes, etc and my head is spinning. I just gather the data and figure numbers out, but I have a CPA actually check and do the work so I make sure it is right! But what a headache and I am figuring like how do people know this stuff when opening a business and I know a lot who don't even speak English well and how do they navigate this all!? We are finding out that small businesses are basically taxed up the wazoo in CA and everything seems to be taxed! He was just telling me how some teachers complimented on his hoodies and where did he get them? He said I bought it online-didn't even tell them that was his business and design!

I wanted to show him how hard it was to do your own business(so he would go to college and do something ELSE!) especially with taxes,numbers/accounting and we even have been scammed by a few people who would order and use other people's credit cards so we also had to take some losses. Or they lie and said they never ordered it or did not give authorization for their kid to order,etc and they got the item and of course, don't return it. And credit cards usually take their customer's side and not the business! Luckily it is not too bad, but still!

Ok, so that was a "brief" update on our lives ;)! Yes, it is crazy busy as usual-I wish it was controlled chaos, but ok I admit it is more like a madhouse crazy looney toons life. If anyone has any ideas on how to get it into controlled chaos or more peaceful-please let ME know!! I have been trying to figure it out but it is taking a lifetime for me! Oh and my dh, the one who got a second chance at life-you would figure he would have changed-yes, he did but for the worse! Like I keep reminding him God sent you back for some reason, I am still trying to figure what that reason is!? I mean I am glad he is back and all, but he does drive me up the wall too! He woke ME up at 4 AM this morning to cook his breakfast bc he could not sleep since midnight (when I went upstairs to bed-guess I woke him up). I don't know about YOU all, BUT as much as I love my dh, I am NOT waking up a 4 AM in the morning to cook him breakfast! Then he went back to sleep later in the morning as I heard him snoring, BUT Then I was up from 4 AM til I wake up at 6:30 (I make my son's breakfast before school). So basically as I am typing this, I am a zombie this morning despite the coffee I made. BTW, Costco has some beignets in their freezer section which I bought(hazelnut) and I do not eat sweet stuff usually-but these are pretty good. My kids love them and they don't eat much sweets either but they like these! Best one I have had-Idk how authentic they are but they are yummy-we can only eat one or two bc then it gets too sweet and they are smallish.

Ok wrote too much as usual-sorry-lol! But good to touch base with you all and my love to you all and best wishes for the new 2022 new year! Keep me up to date with you all and if anything happened on our frugal forum like I hope everyone is in good health and doing their best!
I for one always go back and read posts in a thread that are done after I go to bed. Go ahead and post whenever as we have missed you greatly.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/