Daily Check In January 22, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In January 22, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:05 am and me stuck with a Lab and a beagle...and whatever multi-mix my daughter's dog is...lol. I LOVE German Shepherds!
Growing up we usually had German Shepherds or beagles. There were a couple of collies, and our first dog was a Crocker spaniel. That was when we lived in town. Have always had lovely dogs in my life until I got out on my own. Did not have them due to working. After retirement got Allie from my neighbor and then Teddi from a friend. Both have added so much to my life.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The best watchdog we ever had growing up was an Irish wolfhound my dad got from one of his work colleagues in Atlanta. He was a very low key dog unless a stranger drove onto the property and then he demonstrated how wolfhounds got their name.

He also despised people who had been drinking, which our rural route mailman did regularly while working, and he had the guy so terrified that our mail was left in the road: the mail man did not dare stick his arm out to put the mail in the box.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:25 am The best watchdog we ever had growing up was an Irish wolfhound my dad got from one of his work colleagues in Atlanta. He was a very low key dog unless a stranger drove onto the property and then he demonstrated how wolfhounds got their name.

He also despised people who had been drinking, which our rural route mailman did regularly while working, and he had the guy so terrified that our mail was left in the road: the mail man did not dare stick his arm out to put the mail in the box.
That is amazing that he did not like people who drank.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Yeah, he must have been Ireland's only temperance watchdog! :-D Seriously, though, looking back on it, because he was so large, he probably was rough-housed with inappropriately when his owners drank or had parties, and he made the connection between the smell and behavior that would hurt him. They are usually gentle giants.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:40 am Yeah, he must have been Ireland's only temperance watchdog! :-D Seriously, though, looking back on it, because he was so large, he probably was rough-housed with inappropriately when his owners drank or had parties, and he made the connection between the smell and behavior that would hurt him. They are usually gentle giants.
I think that is an interesting deduction. Very well could be the reason.
Janet Alliesmama
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yea but those beagles will bark until the cows come home. And they guy on the other side has no idea what dog you have, just that you have a (they think) mad one.