Daily Check In January 22, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 22, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Morning, off to get coffee and so just starting us off. Back soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In January 22, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I've got 30 minutes until work. I have laundry going and I just had a good MacGyver moment. I use the mesh laundry bags for things I want to line dry, but they keep coming open. The other day I had a moment of inspiration and used some of my 2 inch long safety pins for pin-basting quilts to secure the bags. I am hoping it works.

I did not feel like cooking last night, so I went to the gourmet grocery store and had them cook my up a burger. It was dry, must have been low fat meat.

Not much else going on other than work.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I got up this morning to a lovely gentle snowfall. While it is coming down thickly, it is so pretty falling in the light of the streetlight across the road from us. I could watch this all day. We are supposed to get quite the accumulation so I am glad that we picked up Hubby's truck yesterday and that I have no where I need to be.

In fact this afternoon I have a Zoom meeting with other quilters, stitchers around the world as well as a phone call to be made to my brother. That leaves only this morning to get things done around the old homestead. Thank heavens supper is made and just needs to be warmed up.

My household tasks are not many today, sweep the floors, send my scan in for points, bake a loaf of bread, and tidy/organize/declutter the last hallway closet and perhaps move on to the shoe cabinet. I am also going to take the cleats off the runners they are on now (extremely old ones) and put them on the less old pair tossing the oldest. I will probably save the laces if they are decent. I really have too many shoes and boots littering the hall floor. Bills must be printed off for payment next week as well.

Between times I will be watching the next bible study, and working on the rug. I did get three colour strips cut yesterday and I hope to get a few more done while watching and participating on the Zoom meeting. I don't say much as these ladies are way above my quilt making skill. I just absorb their knowledge.

I will be walking inside today just so I can get ahead start on tasks. Starting the bread will be the first.

It will be another frugal and no spend day here. I believe this makes 18 so far this month when I looked at the calendar. I still have a full week to go, I could very easily reach the 25 days I wanted depending on when the bills need to be paid. If Hubby had not had to take in his truck, well we would be at 19 no spend days.

Not spending or driving around is really saving us some cash. I know some people think you purchase more the less you shop, but unless something is on sale for a very good price, it does not enter my cart. My pantry is still in very good shape as when items I have used up go on sale I purchase them to replace what is missing. Really the only thing that disappears quickly around here is fresh fruit and veggies (sometimes the milk as in this biweekly period I think I am going to run out).

But in the next couple of months I want to save the equivalent of what we paid to get Hubby's truck fixed and that means tightening the frugal belt a bit and making things stretch. It could even mean finding a bit of a side gig, or selling items on our garage sale sites here in the city. I really am looking forward to seeing if I can manage this. This isn't really something I have to do, it is something I want to try.

Supper tonight is going to be the leftover sausage casserole along with slices of homemade bread.

Today I am grateful that there are areas where I can still find a way to be frugal.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:47 am
Not spending or driving around is really saving us some cash. I know some people think you purchase more the less you shop, but unless something is on sale for a very good price, it does not enter my cart. My pantry is still in very good shape as when items I have used up go on sale I purchase them to replace what is missing. Really the only thing that disappears quickly around here is fresh fruit and veggies (sometimes the milk as in this biweekly period I think I am going to run out).
I agree with you on keeping a good pantry, and meat in the freezer as well. My frequent shopping is also due to going through veggies, fresh fruit and milk.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Up relatively early, but I did get 8 hours worth of sleep so feeling pretty good right now.

Another cold day, 8 degrees F., feels like 2 degrees; but it is SUNNY!!!!

Have already done the few Saturday chores, watched a couple of You Tube Videos, and completed my exercise for the day. When I'm finished here, I will do a quick look through of today's newspaper as I've already skimmed some of the headlines on line.

Today I have a Zoom chat with a friend and later today, I will be viewing a Zoom play being put on by one of the local theater groups. I saw it announced in one of my senior publication free subscriptions and checked the link for its price. The link went right to Zoom so the presentation is free!

For the last couple of days my sister has been saying that she misplaced a rather expensive battery charger here and I kept telling her the closets were totally empty when she left. She keeps telling me how she hasn't "forgot it" yet and that she knows that she left it here because she looked through all her closets, suitcases and car a couple of times and she didn't have it. Well, she called to tell me this morning that she FOUND IT in the one closet she admitted to not looking in, but again accused me of not looking for it. I was a bit annoyed and told her that she needed to stop accusing me of NOT doing something just because SHE didn't see me do it and again why she even would say anything after she did find it after all right where she had put it - she just hadn't looked there before. Now if I did that to her, I would never hear the end of it. GRRRR

Anyway, going to go for now. Have a great day everyone.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I slept really well last night and didn’t wake up all night until 6:45 a.m. I took an anxiety pill before bed so that is the reason but I feel better than I’ve felt all week.

Nothing special on the agenda today. I plan to make a decent-size donation to the World Food Programme (wfp.org) for the people starving in Afghanistan. I’ve never thought much about Afghanistan one way or another and never known anyone who served in the military there. But last night I watched a segment on the PBS NewsHour that touched (and shocked) me and stayed in my mind. We have hunger in the U.S. but there is always food available. There, they have absolutely nothing. If you want to watch, here is the segment but it is very difficult to watch.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/starving-afghan-kids-sold-forced-into-labor-amid-dire-economic-and-humanitarian-crises

I’m finding new pop-up video ads on the bottom right side of the forum. I first saw these ads on my iPod touch where they are especially distracting but now they are on my iPad. I have always quickly closed sites with this type of distracting ads so I’ll be visiting the forum less often and look into ad blockers, which I’ve never used. I have always understood the need for ads but I really don’t like video ads.

Have a great day.