Financial Wellness Challenges at my workplace

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Financial Wellness Challenges at my workplace

Post by MackerelCat »

When I told my son about these, he said, "Let me guess, you entered and are just killing it." I told him it would be totally unfair if I entered because I always make my coffee at home, don't deviate from the grocery list and make not opening my wallet such a habit that I can carry around the same $20 bill for over a month. :-D

Here they are:

Employee Wellness: $$ Savings Challenge for January/February
Campus Information on behalf of Employee Wellness
Fri 1/21/2022 4:15 PM

Happy New Year! As a part of the spring employee wellness program, we are looking forward to sharing some Smart Money Tips and encourage you to participate in one of three Savings Challenges with us!

The three savings challenges are (we will provide detailed instructions for each challenge; this is to help you get an idea of what might be the best fit for you prior to taking the survey):

$5 Bill Challenge- During this challenge you will save all your $5 bills you get. For example, if you hand a cashier $10.00 and she hands you back a $5 bill and a single $1 bill. You would save the $5.00 bill in a Cash Envelope, or you can keep it in a special location to add to a savings account later! (If you are someone who does not carry cash, a slight alteration to this method would be to monitor your spending and each swipe you would have “broken a larger bill” and received change you can then transfer $5.00 into a savings account-based on how you would have received your change.)

Coffee Challenge- During the month of February you will attempt to make your coffee at home vs. buying it at a coffee shop! Each time you make your coffee at home and aren’t spending at your favorite coffee spot you can add what your coffee order would have costed you to a savings account or cash envelope (depending on how you pay). For example, my favorite coffee purchase is $5.45, each time I make my coffee at home vs buying it I transfer $5.45 to a savings account using my bank app. If you slip up and do purchase a coffee out, charge yourself double and add to savings!

Grocery Challenge- We can all get a little off task at the grocery store! During this challenge you will be doing a couple of steps. Step 1: Make a list before heading to the grocery store or stores. Step 2: If you purchase something off your list you will “pay double”. For example: If I pick up my favorite afternoon snack of Oreos, I will put the item in my cart and immediately transfer $3.00 to my preferred savings account.

To sign up for a challenge, complete the survey: Qualtrics Survey | Qualtrics Experience Management

At the end of February, we will reach out to individuals who participated to see how their Savings Challenge went, and those who want to share their success or what worked for them will be entered to win Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover and Total Money Makeover Workbook!
Mackie
Jackielou

Re: Financial Wellness Challenges at my workplace

Post by Jackielou »

LOL, they really don't know who they have working for them do they.... You would certainly "kill" it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

you would win!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Ohhhhh, Mackie, you would own this challenge!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I think they're doing this because our division pays poorly and is very demanding. There has been massive turn-over due to the low pay, so they feel like doing financial education stuff will help.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I want to propose some sort of financial education where I work. I've been there, in various roles, long enough to know that people are struggling and stressed about their financial situation.

That being said, some of them are the same ones who come in with their $5 coffee and go out for their $10 lunch every day - and shopping their weekends away and wearing expensive clothes, big car payment, etc. -- apparently clueless to how that negatively impacts their situation...

i sign off on the student loan forgiveness applications for these people and take the calls from debt collectors trying to reach them at work (yes, illegal) and do the employment verification for their debt consolidation loans.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz