Daily Check-in January 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in January 24, 2022

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 am Good morning beautiful people,

My main excitement for today was picking up my Walmart groceries. They had most of what I ordered although the sweet kale salad expires tomorrow. I got a pound of fresh strawberries as a treat. Fortunately all the berries were good and fresh - a good thing as it cost me $4.97/pound! I usually don’t get them at that price but just had to splurge. We don’t eat out at all so I will try not to feel guilty. Overall I was pretty happy with my order, given what’s going on with our truckers. Dh came along to get out of the house and ventured into Safeway for meat. Walmart pickup has a very limited selection of fresh meat and it all seems to be in cyrovac packages, which he doesn’t like. He bought some pork shoulder. I can get the antibiotic free chicken through Walmart, and there’s lots of frozen salmon. We need beef, but Dh almost keeled over at the price

Jackie, I heard on tv that we should not be stocking up too much, especially with fresh produce. Generally when you buy it, it will be staler than previously. The message was not to panic if something you were wanting isn’t available. Instead go back in a few days and see if it’s there. I guess this is fine if you don’t mind going into the stores all the time. Omicron is still rampant in our city, which is why I am relying almost totally on pickup. So that’s a strategy I won’t be using. My pantry and freezer are very well stocked! I just haven’t been able to find bran flakes for the past three weeks . I think Dh will have to settle for BranBuds or AllBran or RaisinBran,

It’s a lovely sunny day but-25 C not considering the windchill factor. So I have decided to defer my walk until this afternoon. At least there doesn’t seem to be much wind.

I have been watching some cruise videos (post pandemic) on YouTube. I certainly wouldn’t consider taking a cruise right now but the ships looked pretty empty and almost all cruise lines require you to be fully vaccinated and produce a negative result before boarding. Upgrades are being offered galore. I often think about all the wonderful people we encountered when we took our cruise and the hotel and other hospitality workers. This dang Covid has certainly turned our world upside down! I still haven’t watched the Polish carpet cleaner yet

Tomorrow I receive my second Shingrix vaccine and my car goes into the dealership for a recall repair to the fuel pump, so at least no money out of pocket.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
I found Publix bran flakes last week and bought two boxes, probably should have bought three. I also sometimes buy All Bran but it was out at Publix last week and has been unavailable at Walmart for many years.

A friend took a repositioning cruise in November, timed well because it was before Omicron. She went to Rome, Florence, Nice, a few places in Spain and then across the Atlantic to NYC. She went with a cousin and they got an incredible deal, something like $2,800 each including the one-way airfare to Rome. She said the ship was very empty which was so nice. They had to do a lot of testing and could not do port visits on their own but had to go with a group and that was extra $. I think it was Norwegian Cruise Line which she said was OK but weird cabin layout.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:
DD2 is out of surgery, it went well and surgeon happy with the procedure. But she is in a lot of pain, and they are trying to get that under control before letting her go.
This is the DD that does not handle pain at all. I am hoping they can get her thru it quickly, but of course safely.
I think she thought it was going to be in and out and just take it easy for a few days and all will be well. I knew it would be a little more intense than that.
Thank goodness she lives close and I can run down there easily.

JCKitty
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

My sister was put on hospice Friday with the round of visits starting today. Oxygen was increased to 4 liters and nebrilizer treatment 4 times a day. Just found out one daughter has COVID. Granddaughter has it too, different households and not seen each other since Christmas.she is quarantined with 3 kids. Her dad is the one up here helping about every day. We have all been vacacanated. I have had a sore throat for awhile,so hope I don’t have it. Did see daughter Thursday.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

jckitty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am Hello all,

Janet, my old dog has gotten to where he hates the ice and snow...I shovel a nice potty place for him and he very seldom wants to spend much time outside in winter weather.

DD2 is in surgery right now, getting the esophageal hernia repaired, her ex took her as they were worried about me taking her in bad weather and I have been in contact with them. He said the roads were terrible. He is military and is used to driving in any type of weather and road condition.
We woke up to more snow and the ice is under the snow. I dislike this weather so much.

DD1 is out clearing snow and salting for the greenhouse/landscaping company she works for. I have spoken to her and she is worn out already, they had to do this yesterday also,
Everyone else made it to work okay but said the roads were icy.

I really wanted to cook ahead for DD2 for after her surgery but we had no idea what kind of restrictions she might have. I have a full freezer and pantry so as soon as I get the word I will commence to cooking. :roll:

I have dog rugs in the washer, when the cycle is complete I will hang close to the woodstove to dry.
Just staying close to tele and keeping busy.
Thanks to all for the encouragement I have received regarding the renter situation.

JCKitty
Kitty the funny thing is the whole front acre and side yard are clear of snow and ice, but Mr. Teddi insists on going his usual route across the icy driveway. That is the only place we have ice.

I had surgery a couple of years ago on my esophagus. They started me off on clear liquids and then full liquids then soft foods. Believe you me none of it went down well due to pain. The one thing I did tolerate were popsicles and ice cream and even swallowing them was painful. I wish her well and will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:12 pm Update:
DD2 is out of surgery, it went well and surgeon happy with the procedure. But she is in a lot of pain, and they are trying to get that under control before letting her go.
This is the DD that does not handle pain at all. I am hoping they can get her thru it quickly, but of course safely.
I think she thought it was going to be in and out and just take it easy for a few days and all will be well. I knew it would be a little more intense than that.
Thank goodness she lives close and I can run down there easily.

JCKitty
I am glad that your DD came through the surgery well. Hope that they can get her pain under control.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ownedbydogs wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 pm My sister was put on hospice Friday with the round of visits starting today. Oxygen was increased to 4 liters and nebrilizer treatment 4 times a day. Just found out one daughter has COVID. Granddaughter has it too, different households and not seen each other since Christmas.she is quarantined with 3 kids. Her dad is the one up here helping about every day. We have all been vacacanated. I have had a sore throat for awhile,so hope I don’t have it. Did see daughter Thursday.
I hope all come through with very light cases. Owned I really hope that you don't have the Omicron variant.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/