Daily Check-in January 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in January 24, 2022

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Partly sunny day today with temp hovering in the high 20s.

Mondays are typically the busiest day of the week for me, social-wise. I have my Monday morning chat and my Coloring group after lunch. I really look forward to them as it's pretty much my only face-to-face (Zoom), one-on-one (library) for the week. I do get to see tidbits of people in my Thursday Zoom bingo but only when someone wins and calls out their numbers. The bingo board hides everyone otherwise.

I have a few errands to run after my Coloring group session and then home.

I enjoyed my meatloaf yesterday as it turned out really well. I know I ate more than one portion size of it, but cut down the rest of it into 6 other meals.

Well that's it for now. Have a nice day.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check-in January 24, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, Logics and everyone. Logics, your activities sound like fun - I miss doing things and need to get back into some social activities - even if they are on Zoom. I do still have a standing coffee date with a fiend - once a month and more frequently in summer (she doesn't work in summer) but she has had family stuff going on - her husband had the virus and other stuff was going on so we have had to cancel the last couple of times.

I do not want to wake up this morning but I'm trying. It is currently zero degrees. I woke up a couple of minutes before the alarm went off and was just drifting back to sleep when it announced its annoying self.

The dogs are still in bed. I yelled at them at some point last night. They are into this routine where they wake up and whine like they have to go out - so I get up - and they go to the "treat area" - asking for a treat! I never give them a treat when they do that - we go back to bed - but after the second time of that last night, I lost my dang mind and raised my voice. They got in the bed, laid down and still haven't made a peep. I hate that I yelled - but that is not acceptable - there is nothing in this world that I need more than a good night's sleep. It is difficult as I can't tell the difference between "I need to go out" and "I want a snack". UGH.

I imagine I will be very busy at work today, with having had Friday off - the day will fly by fast. I wish you all a good day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up early this morning, took my bone pill and now am waiting for coffee. I have another 15 minutes to go before I can have my first cup of the morning. I really, really, need one this morning.

There are crazy things happening in Canada again. Normal, vaccinated people want no part of it, in fact normal people are just staying away. The good thing is that many who took part in the first go round years back here in my area can't get time off work to take part, their employers are putting their foot down.

Yep, we are having another cross country truck convoy! Started yesterday in B.C. and is heading east to Ottawa. Supposedly 100's of thousands have joined and are being cheered by every anti-masker, anti-vaxxer, racist (still saying the "China virus") red necked idiot that lives in this country. What bothers me is that they are "hanging" politicians in effigy off overpasses, call these people hero's and just using no logic at all to think things through. Since they are truckers or in some cases (I think many cases) unemployed oilfield workers or retired folk I wonder how they are paying their way across this rather large and in some cases meagerly populated country. They say it is to fight the mandates here in Canada and take our country back. Well it ain't going to work as there are still mandates to enter the US. Both our mandate and the US mandate have been spoken and advertised for months, vaccination saves lives. Meaning while it might not protect you from some variants, it makes darn sure you don't end up in the hospital on a vent or dead!!!

After truckers complaining that our government is going to cause shortages, what do they thing they are doing "slow rolling" through cities and taking up two lanes of a two lane highway. The stupidest thing I have heard them say recently is that if we have empty shelves not to blame a trucker....Who else is disrupting those truckers who are still working and working hard.

Sorry guys I had to get that off my chest. I am not worried about me or Hubby, we are well prepared. Oldest DS has the same mentality as we do, it is youngest DS who have very little storage space and a very small freezer that I worry about. Hopefully he gets a house picked out soon and can start to put together a decent pantry. I also worry about my friends as some of them have no idea about stocking up, I worry about those who need a certain drug and because of the upset might not be able to get said drug.

Frugally the usual will be happening around the old homestead. The temperature has once again plummeted and with the rain last night this rather breakable person is going to be staying close to home. My only outside trip will be to pull the various bins either out or back in.

I pulled some apple pie filling from the freezer and plan on making a type of strudel with it and some phyllo pastry sheets. Should give us dessert for a bit. I will also probably make some cinnamon buns. Got to use up the cream cheese frosting in the fridge.

For extra cleaning today I am going to wipe down the fridge shelves. My fridge will be nice and clean then.

I need to watch some more of the bible study. I can't seem to get into this one, for some reason I find the video very boring....I have a feeling it is the rather monotone speaker on the video causing the problem. Kind of wish he would get a bit excited when he speaks about things.

My household tasks this morning are laundry, dusting, vacuuming, deep cleaning the kitchen sinks and counters, putting away the dishes, deep cleaning the bathroom, sweeping and mopping floors, dusting the bedrooms (giving them a tidy as well), cleaning the fridge, and finishing the paper work for my appointment. Add in the baking and I have a very hectic morning.

This afternoon I hope to finish watching the first half of season 4 of Ozark while working on 2 more sections at least of the rug. This means a very busy morning for me.

Supper tonight will be something made with the leftover ham. I wonder if I could use up even more phyllo pastry concocting something different.

Today I am grateful that I am well stocked and hoping that our meds will make it through to be ordered this week from the pharmacy.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I slept well. This is our coldest morning so far this year, 39 F. on the app, but it is very sunny unlike yesterday.

I’m finishing up my passport application. I have not stapled my photo on it yet. Stapling is an odd way to attach the photo IMO. The small P.O. where I often go is on the grounds of the local VA hospital in a separate Spanish-style building. When I stopped to pick up the Priority envelope, the VA was limiting traffic to one road and triaging all cars (I think it is called). They had a tent set up, asked me where I was going and asked if I had symptoms. There were signs everywhere saying No Visitors - just for the hospital I believe. I still think I’ll go there to drop off the passport application because the P.O. is almost always empty and I’ll have only the Postmistress as a contact. The P.O. is public even though it is on VA property.

Tomorrow is my Zoom deposition. I’m probably most nervous that I won’t know some things to do on Zoom. I’ll read over the police report tonight. I really remember everything well. There is a photo of the accused in the police report and there is no question that I can identify him even though it has been 2 1/2 years. I will really try to be brief in my answers (not my strong suit). As Patti advised, it is not the time to tell my “story.”

It is supposed to warm up to 60 F. I’ll probably work a bit in the yard at mom’s house this afternoon.

Have a good day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. We had a low temp this morning, but it is starting to warm up to around 43 F which is good. Teddi has a grooming appointment late morning and after dropping him off I will run errands and pick up my Walmart curbside order. I hope the warmer temp and sun will melt the ice off of my driveway. The tall pine trees provide too much shade and it stays icy. It was kind of funny yesterday Teddi does not understand what ice is and he is set in his ways on where he wants to go to potty. While walking back to the house on the ice he sneezed and slid about a foot sideways. Poor little guy however it was funny when it happened.

Not much going on here after I get home. I have enough leftovers from my birthday so I will not need to cook today which is good.

Not sure if I mentioned it but my brother in Mexico now has covid. Both him and his wife were fully vaccinated and boosted. So was his DIL. I am still waiting to hear about my nephew. In order to fly back to the US from Mexico you need to have a negative covid test which they had. So, on the flight home they came in contact with covid. My nephew had covid a while back and it was pretty rough on him. He was vaccinated and just a few days away from getting his booster shot.

Have a good and frugal day and stay safe.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Logics, meat loaf does sound so delicious. Janet, Teddi's sneeze sounds hilarious! Good luck, FloridaCat!

Shelia, our old cat wakes DH up between 4:30 and 5:30 every morning because he's lonely and wants to cuddle. We tried letting him in the bedroom once, but he was so delighted to find me there that he climbed all over me and drooled on my hair. It was not restful. So DH gets up, goes to the recliner and has "night part two" with his needy cat almost every night. This morning the cat woke me up too, but I pulled a pillow over my head and went back to sleep.

I was so happy to check on things at work this morning and see that the Covid isolation census had dropped from 23 in our building on Friday afternoon to only eight this morning. Still have fingers crossed that this is the real decline of Omicron on campus.

I was not happy to clean out the office fridge and throw away an entire huge trash bag of expired meals that were brought after isolation students had checked out. (The food service has one guy who can't seem to get things together and actually read the daily meal list.) Some things I could rescue for the students: bottled juice and water, individual apple sauce bowls, packaged snacks, bananas and apples, but 90 percent of it went into the garbage. That hurts my heart.

On the frugal front, DH received a letter about a lawsuit against the Nissan automotive corporation involving dimming headlights. It turns out that certain vehicles with halogen headlights had the headlights dramatically dim because the headlight lenses were delaminating on the inside. His car has this problem, which is expensive to fix because it requires replacing both headlight units. He did some research, and his car qualifies to be repaired under the legal settlement. So today he's going to take all his paperwork to the Nissan dealership.

For my brown bag lunch today, I have one of the meals I made last week (very veggie black bean chili with seasoned rice), an apple bran muffin, two tangerines and a store-brand ginger ale. Lately tea has been slightly upsetting my tummy, so it's water and the occasional ginger ale for me.

Hope you all have a peaceful day. ICFrugal, I hope your DH continues to improve. (((Hugs)))
Mackie