Daily Check in Jan 26, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Jan 26, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mackie, I hope you can find a job that is less stressful.

Quilter hope you are feeling better soon.

IC((Hug)) for you due to what your DH is putting you through. It is not easy being a caregiver.

Kitty hope your DD is doing better with her surgery.

I had a sick pup. Teddi threw up about an hour before we had to leave for his grooming appointment. He is better now.

We have had really cold weather move in the last two days. I think this morning it was (-5 F). I know those of you up north deal with colder temps however we have a damp cold here. Years ago, we had a friend visiting from the Twin Cities in Minnesota. It was in the (30's F) here. He said he about froze to death here and could hardly wait to go home to warm up even though it was below (0 F) there..lol

The increased cold is really causing my arthritis to flair, and I am not really feeling all that chipper. Plus, my aide has been sick and had to call off of work several times.

I have been taking short spurts and doing an inventory of canned foods that I have. Found a few things in the freezer that had been buried too long so decided I need to do a check on the canned goods. I do my usual 10 min or less then rest on the couch for a while or stretch out on my bed. Nothing is that essential that I have to work long periods of time. It eventually gets done.
Janet Alliesmama
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

We managed to get a long walk in today, though it was cold and windy--I guess that's January weather for you. I can't wait for Winter to be over. It reminds me a little too much of the countless times in the Army when I thought I was going to lose my fingers to frostbite, or freeze to death. Not a PTSD thing, just unpleasant memories.

Erin made a moist and delicious carrot cake in the bread machine today. Lucky for me, she's obsessed with her new(used) bread machine--same brand as Jackie's, btw. I call it "Mr. Zojirushi", which is not a very creative name, considering it's a Zojirushi brand breadmaker. But, I like saying it. Earlier in the week, she made several bread machine lemon pound cakes. Before that, it was bread machine banana bread--also moist and delicious. And, of course, B-R-E-A-D.

Well, that's all folks. Hope everyone is staying warm.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalaaron wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:07 pm We managed to get a long walk in today, though it was cold and windy--I guess that's January weather for you. I can't wait for Winter to be over. It reminds me a little too much of the countless times in the Army when I thought I was going to lose my fingers to frostbite, or freeze to death. Not a PTSD thing, just unpleasant memories.

Erin made a moist and delicious carrot cake in the bread machine today. Lucky for me, she's obsessed with her new(used) bread machine--same brand as Jackie's, btw. I call it "Mr. Zojirushi", which is not a very creative name, considering it's a Zojirushi brand breadmaker. But, I like saying it. Earlier in the week, she made several bread machine lemon pound cakes. Before that, it was bread machine banana bread--also moist and delicious. And, of course, B-R-E-A-D.

Well, that's all folks. Hope everyone is staying warm.
I started to love this brand when our oldest son bought me a Zojirushi rice maker (that is now passed on to youngest son) many years ago. I was looking for replacement for my old Black and Decker bread machine when it was on it's last legs and found that this company also made Bread makers. Using Amazon credit, and a bit of cash I got mine and have never looked back. I haven't made any sweet loaves in mine just bread and dough for buns (can't knead anymore because of the twice broken wrist) but now you have me thinking I should give it a try.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 am I started to love this brand when our oldest son bought me a Zojirushi rice maker (that is now passed on to youngest son) many years ago. I was looking for replacement for my old Black and Decker bread machine when it was on it's last legs and found that this company also made Bread makers. Using Amazon credit, and a bit of cash I got mine and have never looked back. I haven't made any sweet loaves in mine just bread and dough for buns (can't knead anymore because of the twice broken wrist) but now you have me thinking I should give it a try.
Erin will probably share more recipes in the near future. She posted her lemon pound cake recipe a few days ago: https://www.myfrugalhome.com/bread-mach ... ound-cake/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalaaron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:48 am Erin will probably share more recipes in the near future. She posted her lemon pound cake recipe a few days ago: https://www.myfrugalhome.com/bread-machine-lemon-pound-cake/
Thanks I will have to give it a try.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 am ICFrugal, you are a saint. I would have said, "The service at Holiday Inn Express is exceptional" and gone for his suitcase. (((Hugs)))

Good morning, everyone. It's 26 degrees and we have no water in our entire building complex. Such fun! However, months after I turned in the work order, I did just see someone walk by carrying the shattered laundry room window that needs to be fixed. Maybe that's progress?

Yesterday I learned that my lovely boss, who totally makes this job tolerable, is leaving in May whether he has a new job or not. He is completely burned out. This put me in a blue funk. I am just about burned out over the Covid care program, which the higher ups already assume I'll be here for next year. It's a huge amount of extra responsibility and I don't get paid more for it, plus the added risk because I'm a senior citizen. (We still do not have any work-supplied PPE in our office except little blue medical masks. Anything with more protection we buy ourselves.)

DH vascillates between wanting to retire as soon as possible and thinking he's going to have to work until he's dead and lately he's in the "until dead" mode, so I am going to quietly look around for what job opportunities might be available. I don't expect there too be many at my age and physical requirements, but it never hurts to scan the horizon.

Otherwise, it's a sunny day. I hope you all have a peaceful day and all the ailing ones beloved to you have a good day too. Hugs all around.
I'm sorry to hear about your work issues. I can relate. Shortly after leaving the military, I took a job that I hated everyday for over 10 years. It was a toxic place to work, to say the least. If I was in your shoes, I would start working on an exit plan. This might give you something positive to think about on the roughest days.