Daily Check in Jan 26, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Jan 26, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning, '
I was awake in time to get up and walk, but as soon as my feet hit the floor, my left foot was hurting. So no-go. How Frustrating!

I am working today, but no plans for this evening.

We have schools on a delayed start due to bitter cold temperatures. it is 6 F. We get this occasionally, but not enough to be good about dressing for it.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Jan 26, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is going to be a lovely sunshine day, well at least until later this afternoon when the temperatures drop and the snow starts to fall.

Hubby is up and at 'em early today as he has a doctor's appointment. To save me having to be out and about I am going to phone in our prescriptions and get him to pick them up on the way home as he passes right by the pharmacy.

I will also rework my list a bit as it is supposed to get above freezing today, and then be back down below freezing tomorrow. I won't travel to the store on the outskirts of the city, rather just the one a few blocks from me, the bank, and the church offices this week. There is really nothing I can get there that I can't find at my neighbourhood grocery store at just a bit more cost. Except for Hubby's gum and I have stocked up on that. We will be just fine without anything I can't find in the grocery.

So what frugal past times will I be up to today. I finished the rug, and finished knitting one pair of two needle socks. I pulled the woolen yarn that I made mitts out of and will cast on a toque today. Should be a quick and easy knit for the day. Then tomorrow I will cast on another sock, I may even try double points if I can find some the right size. I could actually make a real sock pattern then.

I will also be looking a boots online to see what is out there. My zipper would not go up or down on one side, and when I checked I found that the zipper had come out. Oh well these boots are 5 years old (we do not have a place to fix shoes and boots here) and I guess just tired out. It does mean I will be spending cash that I didn't want to do until next year on a new pair.... The one good thing is at least at this time of year the winter boots go on sale, the bad thing is that up here in the frozen north there isn't much to choose from anymore.

I do have a short list of household tasks to complete before I get to play and I want to watch at least one more bible study today at some point. I cleaned off half the shelves in the fridge and will do the last half today. Spacing things like that out seem to make it a bit easier on the body most times. Then there is some dusting, working on the grocery list, and phoning the pharmacy to have the prescriptions ready for Hubby to pick up. Pretty easy day all told and just what I like mid week.

After reading so many blogs that talked about a freezer inventory (and hearing that some of you have done this as well) I may figure out a chart on the computer for both the freezers in the basement.

We have almost finished the apple strudel so I need to pull up the apple crisp (or maybe the rhubarb crisp) for dessert the next few days. I may even make some carrot muffins (don't really feel like making cinnamon buns) and use the cream cheese frosting on them.

Supper tonight is Eggplant Parma. Another container gone from the big freezer and pretty much a no cook meal for me.

Today I am grateful that while we ran out of milk last night at supper there will only be one day that we do without.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good Moring,

The dogs went out, waiting for them to come back in so that I can go back to bed.

Yesterday turned out ok.

Didn't start out great.

DH and I had a fight, again, he wants to go somewhere where they will "take care of him" GOOD GRIEF!!! I wasn't very nice I asked him if he should say that to the person that he depends on.

Turned out ok, he got over his hissy fit.

So, took him to breakfast, took Sophie with us, and went to a park, I walked her while he ate in the car.

Came home waited for the dishwasher repair person, a nice man came just on time, turns out that the filters were dirty, he said that they should be cleaned once month, (should I tell you that I've never cleaned them ??? :| ) showed me how to cleans them and he made sure that I knew how to clean them before he left.

IC
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

ICFrugal, you are a saint. I would have said, "The service at Holiday Inn Express is exceptional" and gone for his suitcase. (((Hugs)))

Good morning, everyone. It's 26 degrees and we have no water in our entire building complex. Such fun! However, months after I turned in the work order, I did just see someone walk by carrying the shattered laundry room window that needs to be fixed. Maybe that's progress?

Yesterday I learned that my lovely boss, who totally makes this job tolerable, is leaving in May whether he has a new job or not. He is completely burned out. This put me in a blue funk. I am just about burned out over the Covid care program, which the higher ups already assume I'll be here for next year. It's a huge amount of extra responsibility and I don't get paid more for it, plus the added risk because I'm a senior citizen. (We still do not have any work-supplied PPE in our office except little blue medical masks. Anything with more protection we buy ourselves.)

DH vascillates between wanting to retire as soon as possible and thinking he's going to have to work until he's dead and lately he's in the "until dead" mode, so I am going to quietly look around for what job opportunities might be available. I don't expect there too be many at my age and physical requirements, but it never hurts to scan the horizon.

Otherwise, it's a sunny day. I hope you all have a peaceful day and all the ailing ones beloved to you have a good day too. Hugs all around.
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Mackie, I'm sorry you are feeling so burned out. Seems to me they do ask an awful lot of you. Good luck in your search; I hope you can find someplace else that will value you and your work and pay you accordingly.
Patty
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 am
Yesterday I learned that my lovely boss, who totally makes this job tolerable, is leaving in May whether he has a new job or not. He is completely burned out. This put me in a blue funk. I am just about burned out over the Covid care program, which the higher ups already assume I'll be here for next year. It's a huge amount of extra responsibility and I don't get paid more for it, plus the added risk because I'm a senior citizen. (We still do not have any work-supplied PPE in our office except little blue medical masks. Anything with more protection we buy ourselves.)
I understand completely. I worked in a job that I hated for 30 years only because I couldn't duplicate the pay or vacation time. When they let me go (the day after a Labor Day holiday) I decided that any job I took in the future was going to be one I liked. Unfortunately the one I took after them was even worse. Dumped that one while my boss was in Germany. My last two bosses were the best and I really appreciated them and the job. Here's wishing you the best in your search.