Daily Check-in January 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check-in January 27, 2022

Post by LogicsHere »

chocolite wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:47 pm Jackie, I have a question. I'd really like to go to every other week grocery shopping, but for the produce... How do you keep fresh produce on hand? My DH likes bananas and even in a green bag they're sometimes too ripe in a week. And salads -- do you have a storage tip on keeping salad greens/bell peppers, etc. good for two weeks?
I make 6 to 7 salads at one time and mine last anywhere from 10 to 14 days, but then I'm only one. I take my containers and put in the onions, tomatoes, and beans on the bottom and then the lettuce on top. Then before closing the container I put in a double layer of paper towel and then close the container. The paper towel catches the moisture that turns the lettuce to mush hence the lettuce stays crisp. Then all I have to add when I'm ready to eat them is the dressing. Wrapping your lettuce in a paper towel and changing it as you go along might accomplish the same thing. You can also buy a lettuce keeper which would probably cost less than $10 . . . that too might work.

As far as any other produce I use fresh the first week and then switch to frozen veggies. Fruit on the other hand I have no clue other than to freeze it and bananas don't freeze well in my opinion.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

Maggie, you are much stronger than you think...praying for you.

Mackie, I used to have to leave my office or people would just expect me to work right thru it.

What I was thinking was peach pie filling was apple pie filling, so I have an apple pie made and baked. I also made a rhubarb crumble.

I picked the rotisserie chicken carcass clean and bagged the meat, the bones and leavings are simmering on the woodstove for broth.
I have bottled and marked the beef bone broth from the shortribs. I still have to deal with the fat from the ribs.
I am seriously considering freezing it and seeing if I might make soap this summer. I have done it before ...we shall see.
I have a sinus headache, dull but it is there.
DD2 gets to take a shower today, she was so happy. She has her follow up appointment on Monday. Should be able to go back to work on Tuesday.

We have a few more days of expected cold weather and then hopefully a little warm up.

I have been able to keep the angel wing begonias alive in the house, they are pretty scraggly looking but alive. I am thinking next month I will cut the tops off and try to root them for spring planting. there is new growth coming from the root balls. If the tops don't root at least the bottoms are still going.

Off to piddle around, I really need to clean the kitchen floor as I have a tendency to make messes :roll:

JCKitty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Maggie, good for you!! I'm so glad your boss sees your ability and hard work. I hope the second decade brings a whole lot of good things for you.

Mackie, thanks for the laugh. Your poor DH...I remember that feeling so well. :-D

Good afternoon frugal friends. I did my Walmart pickup this morning. They had everything I asked for except for the no sugar added spaghetti sauce. They subbed out regular. I tried to refuse it at the pickup, but the girl said she was sorry but I would just need to return it. If they only knew how impossible it feels for me to park, walk in carrying a heavy jar of spaghetti sauce, then get myself to the service desk to return it... It was just $2 but still...

I'm going to fix a salad later. Supper will be salmon and stir fry veggies and a salad. I've got a new air fryer recipe I'm going to try on the salmon. I want to start using my air fryer more often so I went online and saved a few recipes to try.

I submitted my first short story for the year on our writers' site yesterday. I'll try to remember to post it on my blog later.

Like a few others have mentioned I'm dealing with a case of the blues. I think mine is pretty much situational but the weather is probably contributing as well. My counselor is helping. I also use my light therapy light most days. I didn't today since I was able to get out in the car for a bit.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

JCKitty, I would leave if we didn't have Covid going on. There's nowhere indoors I can go right now to eat my lunch and it's too cold to sit outside.

The soap sounds like a fun project. My dad's mother used to make soap. I was always intrigued by the cake of brown soap by the kitchen sink. Her house had a cold water pipe in the kitchen and another on the back porch. That was it for the plumbing, and she kept a cake of homemade soap beside each for doing all the washing up.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

chocolite wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:47 pm Jackie, I have a question. I'd really like to go to every other week grocery shopping, but for the produce... How do you keep fresh produce on hand? My DH likes bananas and even in a green bag they're sometimes too ripe in a week. And salads -- do you have a storage tip on keeping salad greens/bell peppers, etc. good for two weeks?
I don't know what it is but our new fridge seems to keep fresh veggies much longer than the old one. It has a humidity control on both crispers and I have that set fairly low. I do my salads like Logics does and that seems to help keep the greens from turning brown and mushy. But I have also taken to making marinated type salads which have a longer life.

Bananas I buy as green as possible and they are the first fruit that we eat in the two week period. Then we are apples, oranges and pears. If we run out of fresh fruit I have canned that we can eat.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

Got a good start on the day. Had some breakfast and my two cups of coffee. I loaded and have the dishwasher running at present. Once it is finished? I'll hook-up my portable washing machine again. I have more loads of laundry than usual and I want to put a little bleach to the towels. The towels will go in the dryer so they are fluffy.

At 3 pm, Zoe is coming over and we are going to boost the van. The weather is nice enough today to do that. I am going to hang out with Emmitt and Dayton tomorrow while Zoe had a PD day at school and John has a trip north to work on a tower and fixing some satellite equipment. I am so looking forward to it as we haven't hung out for quite some time, just the kids and me!

Once the car is boosted and I have run it for a while, I want to go to the store and get a pie crust so I can make tourtiere. I don't have enough counter space to do a rolled out pie crust so this is my option. I have some port that friends gave me thawing out and the little bit of hamburger that goes into tourtiere too. I'm quite looking forward to it. Now? If only I had some of Nori's green tomato relish to go with it. I loved that stuff! The tourtiere should give me about 6 meals depending on how big I cut the slices.

Not much else going on around here. I've been reading up on the truckers for hate convoy. The closer it gets to Ottawa, the closer the reality of this event is, a hate fest on the liberal government. All you have to do is look at the photos of people standing with their signs at roadside "supporting" this mess. The trucks already have their hate Liberals and Trudeau stickers and signs. I have been reading lots of comments on Twitter and Facebook from these convoy crazies and disagree with their violent speech.

Well, it's getting closer to 3 pm and my alloted time to go out and hang out near the van until Zoe stops by after school to give me a boost. I've already got on my socks and boots. Just need to wait until about 2:55pm. I'll message Zoe here online over at FB to let her know i am going out to the van to wait for her. Then? I have to do my part every day going forward and go out and start the van with this weather fluctuating so much.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.