Daily Check-in January 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check-in January 27, 2022

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I know that the milk with an extended refrigerator shelf life is more expensive. I use it because I can’t go to the store when I get low on milk.

To me it is well worth the extra cost. I

Once you open the container it is good for one week.

Penny

Edited to correct typo
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

chocolite wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm Maggie, good for you!! I'm so glad your boss sees your ability and hard work. I hope the second decade brings a whole lot of good things for you.

Mackie, thanks for the laugh. Your poor DH...I remember that feeling so well. :-D

Good afternoon frugal friends. I did my Walmart pickup this morning. They had everything I asked for except for the no sugar added spaghetti sauce. They subbed out regular. I tried to refuse it at the pickup, but the girl said she was sorry but I would just need to return it. If they only knew how impossible it feels for me to park, walk in carrying a heavy jar of spaghetti sauce, then get myself to the service desk to return it... It was just $2 but still...

I'm going to fix a salad later. Supper will be salmon and stir fry veggies and a salad. I've got a new air fryer recipe I'm going to try on the salmon. I want to start using my air fryer more often so I went online and saved a few recipes to try.

I submitted my first short story for the year on our writers' site yesterday. I'll try to remember to post it on my blog later.

Like a few others have mentioned I'm dealing with a case of the blues. I think mine is pretty much situational but the weather is probably contributing as well. My counselor is helping. I also use my light therapy light most days. I didn't today since I was able to get out in the car for a bit.
Patty that is not right. My Walmart sends me an email ahead of time about the subs. Then when they come to my car, they ask me if I want the subs or not. I have refused a few and they take if off of my bill with their hand-held phone or whatever it is they are using. I would go online and tell them at the store what happened, and they might give you a refund. I once bought a pork roast for Teddi and just put it in the freezer without checking the date. When it came time for me to thaw it out, I looked at the date and realized it had expired before I even bought it. I just clicked on the area indicated where you can make complaints and I did not have to do anything other than click on "out of date" and they immediately gave me a full refund even though it had been several days since my purchase. It is worth a shot.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:28 pm Update

Well I have managed to get all the shopping done, and the household tasks. However knitting has gone by the wayside right now. I have been too busy checking our eldest sons and other peoples twitter accounts on what is happening with the Convoy here.

Eldest son has been interviewed on National news here three times as an expert in the field of the far right who seem to have taken over aspects of this protest. He is really worried that bad things are going to happen. He has another interview coming up on Saturday or Sunday. I really worry that some of the nuts will go after him. Still he won't stop and some very important people in the government, and the police are following him and backing him.

Supper is cooking and hopefully I will be in a better mood after so that I can perhaps get close to finishing the second toque.

My grocery bill was not as high as I was dreading. In fact I saved just over $46.00 shopping the sales. Not too bad really.

Off to finish setting the table and get the noodles started. I decided on a stir fry kind of meal to use up the leftover chicken instead of a casserole.

Jackie I really admire what your son is doing. When you say he is worried about bad things happening is that in regard to him and his safety or the country? Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers to be safe.

Great frugal save on the groceries.
Janet Alliesmama
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:02 pm I don't know what it is but our new fridge seems to keep fresh veggies much longer than the old one. It has a humidity control on both crispers and I have that set fairly low. I do my salads like Logics does and that seems to help keep the greens from turning brown and mushy. But I have also taken to making marinated type salads which have a longer life.

Bananas I buy as green as possible and they are the first fruit that we eat in the two week period. Then we are apples, oranges and pears. If we run out of fresh fruit I have canned that we can eat.
Thank you for the info. I'll have to ponder this some more.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

LogicsHere wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:12 pm I make 6 to 7 salads at one time and mine last anywhere from 10 to 14 days, but then I'm only one. I take my containers and put in the onions, tomatoes, and beans on the bottom and then the lettuce on top. Then before closing the container I put in a double layer of paper towel and then close the container. The paper towel catches the moisture that turns the lettuce to mush hence the lettuce stays crisp. Then all I have to add when I'm ready to eat them is the dressing. Wrapping your lettuce in a paper towel and changing it as you go along might accomplish the same thing. You can also buy a lettuce keeper which would probably cost less than $10 . . . that too might work.

As far as any other produce I use fresh the first week and then switch to frozen veggies. Fruit on the other hand I have no clue other than to freeze it and bananas don't freeze well in my opinion.
Thanks for the tips.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:48 pm Patty that is not right. My Walmart sends me an email ahead of time about the subs. Then when they come to my car, they ask me if I want the subs or not. I have refused a few and they take if off of my bill with their hand-held phone or whatever it is they are using. I would go online and tell them at the store what happened, and they might give you a refund. I once bought a pork roast for Teddi and just put it in the freezer without checking the date. When it came time for me to thaw it out, I looked at the date and realized it had expired before I even bought it. I just clicked on the area indicated where you can make complaints and I did not have to do anything other than click on "out of date" and they immediately gave me a full refund even though it had been several days since my purchase. It is worth a shot.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.
Thanks for the advice, Janet. Our Kroger is like that but Walmart has really gotten lax about a lot of things. I'll give it a shot.
Patty