Daily Check-in January 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-in January 27, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well I have managed to get all the shopping done, and the household tasks. However knitting has gone by the wayside right now. I have been too busy checking our eldest sons and other peoples twitter accounts on what is happening with the Convoy here.

Eldest son has been interviewed on National news here three times as an expert in the field of the far right who seem to have taken over aspects of this protest. He is really worried that bad things are going to happen. He has another interview coming up on Saturday or Sunday. I really worry that some of the nuts will go after him. Still he won't stop and some very important people in the government, and the police are following him and backing him.

Supper is cooking and hopefully I will be in a better mood after so that I can perhaps get close to finishing the second toque.

My grocery bill was not as high as I was dreading. In fact I saved just over $46.00 shopping the sales. Not too bad really.

Off to finish setting the table and get the noodles started. I decided on a stir fry kind of meal to use up the leftover chicken instead of a casserole.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The sky was so clear today, which means it will be much colder tonight. I am in my warm pajamas, robe and fuzzy socks. My feet have been cold all day.

Have had a slightly touchy tummy for days and did not want a real supper tonight. Wound up using one of the bananas rescued from work, some frozen strawberries and frozen grapes to make a smoothie. It was quite good.

DH and I had a mini-budget summit this evening. We have paid off our smallest consumer debt and will knock a chunk out of the big one the first week of February. That one will take at least until May to put to bed. Steady licks kill the devil, as the saying goes.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Update:

Got the van started easily. I let it warm up in the parking spot for about 15 minute and then did the drive-thru at Tim Horton's to get a hot chocolate. That was my "timer" for driving around enough to get the battery all charged up. It's always good hot chocolate from Timmies! At least I like it. :-)

I drove around the city "square." Up to the highway on 18th Street, across to 1st street and as far south on the main drag and then across again to 18th Street. I then came home and parked the van. I turned it off and sat for a few minutes and listened to a song on the radio. I then tried to start the van again and it was good to go. Since I knew it would start again after being turned off, I then went to the store and got a pie crust and a box of salt. How many times in a year does someone need to buy a box of salt? I think the last box was two years ago. I had maybe a teaspoon or so in the salt shaker and Zero else where! So, I spent about $5.00 on that. That wasn't too bad.

I don't know if I will get my tourtiere made tonight. I have had a sore left shoulder for a VERY long time. It hurts really bad at night as I put my arm under my pillow to prop me up. I think I hurt it by slinging heavy groceries over my shoulder. I did make an appointment to see my doctor but they had to call and cancel the appointment. They apologized and said she was required to work on the COVID floor of the hospital. They said they will call and make another appointment as soon as she is back. It doesn't sound like that will be before March though. Poor woman! She has two young children and I fear for her and them. Me? I am going to check on YouTube for some shoulder exercises and see what might be there that could help. I am not sure if it is bone mechanical or muscle mechanical. I just know it hurts and the Tylenol goes down every night with my bedtime meds.

Well, off to see what the ingredients are for my tourtiere and see if I can swing that tonight. I'd really like that for supper but then again, rice would be okay too.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:11 pm Good afternoon beautiful people,

I didn’t check in yesterday as I wasn’t feeling well - guess the side effects of the Shingrix vaccine caught up with my after all. My arm felt like it weighed 100 pounds! The good thing is I feel pretty much back to normal now.

We got a dusting of snow, so I helped Dh and shoveled the back deck and sidewalk clear. It felt good to get outside. Still fairly cool at minus 17 C or 1.4 F but bearable when bundled up. I wasn’t outside at all yesterday and honestly slept most of the day away.

This morning Dh needed to go to the bank to cash two cheques (frugal) and then went to fill up my gas tank ( not so frugal but absolutely necessary especially with our cold.) We never like to let the gas get below half in the winter. I went along for the ride and it helps to see a change of scenery even though I didn’t leave the car.

When we came back I cut up the fresh pineapple and cut up some sweet peppers, grape tomatoes and green onions for our lunch salad .

I will go for at least a two mile walk this afternoon in our neighborhood. It’s really sunny outside and I will be fine when bundled up. I certainly seem to need to spend time outside to feel good. I have two books to return to our little library and will check for some new reading material.

I hope you all have ja wonderful day!
Creative
Creative good to hear that today you are feeling better. I am always amazed at the amount of exercise you get in especially living in Canada and going for a 2 mile walk or skiing or whatever. You go girl.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

mbrudnic wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:17 am Good Morning,
Cold here too. But we are most likely out of the range for snow this weekend.

Yesterday I had a good, positive one on one with my manager. There is going to be a bit of a reorg of the team, but she does not yet know where she will end up, let alone us. Some of us will merge with another team. but his is good news, more help. But she said she thinks I woudl do well in a leadership role and that I just lack confidence. Thinking about it last night, the second decade of the 20002 was hard on me. IN 2011 I lost what I thought as my "dream job". I knew at the time that it was business. Then of course in 2006, the surprise-to-me ending of my marriage, a decade of contract work... Yep. Confidence shaken. But the conversation made me feel good.

So a usual day ahead for me.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie that is good that your boss had a conversation with you that indicated how much she values you as an employee. You have had some rough times for sure but looks like things are getting better for you.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

A regular winter's day here as far as temperature right now. At least the wind has stopped and the sky (what I can see of it in the dark of the morning) is clear. Yesterday the wind came up and the little bit of snow we had gotten started to blow causing whiteout conditions on highways, and very slippery sections in town. I do hope the sanding of corners has been completed so that my grocery shopping will not have me sliding sideways around corners or being rear ended by crazy drivers. We shall see.

Today will be a spend day. I do hope to just visit one shopping establishment, the bank and drop off the envelope at the church for this month. I don't even want to go to the other pharmacy to pick up anything. I really stocked up on Hubby's gum so there is no desperate need to do so.

I do have a fairly long list though and just know this is going to be an expensive trip. It is the last one this month so I am hopeful that I have stayed under budget for the month even with the cost of groceries and such rising.

I almost have this once every two weeks shopping down and am thinking of trying for once every three weeks. Just our fresh milk does not go for that long and I tried freezing and thawing it once (took forever in the fridge) and even after shaking it the taste was a bit too sweet for our liking. I guess what I could do is just a dairy run on the second week and a bigger shop on the third.... Must think this out logically.

Yesterday I finished one toque with the leftover wool yarn and then noticing there is more to be used started a second one in the darker colour (will finish it off with the lighter grey). I will use the small bits left to do another project that I have in mind a bit later, perhaps as early as next month.

I also have an idea for the leftover knit strips so perhaps those will be gone as well.

This challenge of using up of the various rather large craft stashes is going well so far, I am pretty happy with it. Mind you there is a lot of year left.

Frugally the only money spent will be on bills, groceries, the church tithe, and a donation made to the network that our oldest son sits on the board of. They need the cash as their grants are running low. I know they would like monthly donations, but I will just do a yearly one.

After getting back from shopping and errands I will be working on the second toque and finding a new series to watch on Netflix, Prime, or BritBox. I may try and find something that I read about on my computer to play as well. It is just many of the shows are not available in Canada that are talked about online.

Supper tonight will be that chicken casserole dish that I didn't make a couple of days ago (made chicken breasts instead). Since I will have been shopping I will make a nice salad to go with.

Today I am grateful for the fact that while the mornings do not seem to be lightening up much here, the evenings are staying just a touch lighter each and every day.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, I have not done this yet but on one of my other forums someone mentioned that when they open a new container of milk, they put a generous pinch of salt in the container and shakes it up. She said it helps to extend the life of the milk and you do not test the salt. She said you can do this with half & half and cream.
Janet Alliesmama