Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

There are a lot of versions of no spending. I guess if one's spending is so out of control that paying the bills and buying only necessities (with a pretty flexible definition of necessities) is considered no spending, then at least they are trying.

Our No Silly Spending was/is spending only what's necessary to keep us, the cars, the house, and the pets running. There's no room for "fun" spending in it, but Covid did away with virtually all outside of the house fun activities, so this has not actually been a hardship.

It's a chilly, hazy morning here. It's supposed to be colder today. The tiny weather people living in my finger joints agree with this, as the joints are twanging today. Since it's Friday and we can unofficially wear jeans, I have on my heavy pair of denims, wool knee socks, and warmest athletic shoes, a turtleneck sweater that's old so it's worn a bit thin (but it still looks good) and a wonderful long coat sweater bought a couple of years ago from Swap.com. I am READY to be cold today. :-D

Hope you all have a peaceful day and stay snug.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Maggie, enjoy Hamilton! I would love to see it. I hope you will give us a report on how you like it.

HappyDaze, I’m glad that you don’t have to walk to work in that bitter cold today! I once had to walk to work (subway to my office) when it was 5 F. and it wasn’t fun.

Janet, enjoy your new bread machine!

Logics, I hope you get the low end of the snow total. The theater you described sounds like what I remember as a dinner theater. They were fun. One of my proms was at a dinner theater.

Jackie, good luck to your DS on the house.

I slept well. Our weather is good today (60s) and the sun just came out. Tomorrow or maybe tonight is when the cold front comes through. I moved the begonias on the front step at moms house but did nothing else there. I’ll probably move some of my own flowers Saturday night.

This morning I’m going to run to CVS for Tide Pods and haircolor. Not a fantastic deal on the Tide pods but I like to use them as well as liquid detergent. P&G, the maker of Tide, is going to raise prices 8% on laundry products (Tide, Gain, etc.) in February but I think the increase is planned for later in the month. Still, today I’m going to buy a larger pack than I usually buy.

Not much else in my world except for my puzzle which I did not work on at all yesterday.

Have a good day.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Morning. When I do a no spend, I make it specific and it generally does not include grocery shopping, the monthly bills or my church donation. Those are mainly what I consider fixed items (I realize groceries can vary but I have it down to a certain amount). It also does nto include what I usually put in my gas envelope. For me no spending is no entertainment, or eating out, or buying hobby supplies and so on.

I do consider myself frugal but I also have those expenses built into my budget-ie lunch out once a week, a certain clothing budget and so on. When I do a no spend it includes those. That said in generaly I think that when one does just a no spend month we often make up for it before or after. something like Mackie's no silly spend over months is probably more effective.

I feel better. the pain is surely still there but not as bad and I did use the walker to walk thirty minutes yesterday. Im not going dancing or partying any time soon but it is slowly improving and at least I could bend over enough to empty the dishwasher yesterday, although it was not fun.

Logics, I have lived through a Winter Cyclone Bomb and if you get it it will not be fun for about twelve hours. NOt sure if NY has had one recetnly but it is literally what it sounds like.

Today once I get up from this chair I am going to make slow cooker pot pie filling (I have it with biscuits on top) and then freeze the rest. I also need to make my large grocery list as I probably won't be able to pick it up till sunday now. Other than that, sewing, knitting, walking and perhaps going to the pharmacy andhaving a chat with them before I email my doctor.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

My H-E-B order came, they took my nuts off the order. Then substitued small oranges for the large ones I had ordered. The perishible items are all away. I still need to put away the shelf stable items. I also have move around the water bottles as I got a new carton of 3. I also want to cut out the interfacing for the placemats.

The dishwasher has been emptied and reloaded, I have washed all the hand dishes.

I haven’t decided on my dinner yet. I did get a lamb steak. So may fix that.

Penny
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Lamb steak sounds wonderful, Penny.

Jackie, I hope your journey for medical testing goes well and your DS gets the house he wants. Your DH is so handy that I bet he can help with any sprucing up.

My DB called and he has finally tested negative after quarantining with Covid. The experience has cured him of eating out in restaurants, at least!

We are having a mercifully quiet morning at work and I have been able to catch up on some organizing that's been neglected since school started. We have a big, low bookcase of stuff that I sorted out this morning. Found some unsharpened Ticonderoga pencils in the process -- my favorite brand -- and squirreled those away.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:17 am There are a lot of versions of no spending. I guess if one's spending is so out of control that paying the bills and buying only necessities (with a pretty flexible definition of necessities) is considered no spending, then at least they are trying.
That is what I would consider a no-spend month. Not buying any extras beyond necessities like food, utilities, car expenses, insurance and I’m sure other items is an accomplishment IMO! I have only half heartedly tried this myself in the past and it is hard and generally I’ve failed.