Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal Friends,

It's cold, some snow it coming down. But I have nowhere to go as of now. I want to call DS1 & DDIL and make sure I can see them tonight or Sunday. Saturday night I have a ticket to see Hamilton.

That is all I have for today.
Have a great day,
Maggie
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning Maggie and all. I have the day off. Dogs let me sleep till after 6. We are all back in bed. Warm this morning - 26 degrees. Yesterday morning was 4 below 0. More bitter cold coming tomorrow.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning, everyone. I slept well but woke at 5:00 AM. Worked on my daily money-making sites. We have cold weather 29 F but feels like 21F and the temp is going to gradually go down as the day goes on. It will be 9 F by this afternoon. There are light snow flurries in some areas. Not here yet. Not much going on other than the usual household chores.

Yesterday the various gluten free flours that I needed to make my gluten free bread in my new bread machine arrived. Tomorrow I plan on trying to make my first loaf of gluten free bread. This machine has a gluten free bread cycle, so I am excited about making it. With gluten free baking I feel a bit like a mad scientist. You need a little of this and a little of that until you get the right amount to make the correct blend. I had to order gluten free dough enhancer from Amazon and that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Thank goodness for Amazon because I do not know where I could have bought it in my town. I am hoping that in the overall picture of things this will save me money. Gluten free baking is very expensive but buying things gf at the store is really expensive. I am going to keep records to see what the bottom line is going to be.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

mbrudnic wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:40 am Good Morning frugal Friends,

It's cold, some snow it coming down. But I have nowhere to go as of now. I want to call DS1 & DDIL and make sure I can see them tonight or Sunday. Saturday night I have a ticket to see Hamilton.

That is all I have for today.
Have a great day,
Maggie
Enjoy the show. Live theater is the one thing I miss most of all since this pandemic and although they are now open, I'm truly afraid to take the risk, vaccinated or not.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Wasn't too happy to see that the storm shifted in the opposite direction of where I had hoped it would shift and now we're in the 6 to 12 inch range although our local weather is saying to 9 inches. Keeping my fingers crossed that the storm moves faster and back in the other direction. But hey, it's winter.

Debating with myself if I should go out and pick up another bottle of water and some bananas, but I do have enough fruit (fresh and canned) to get through the weekend and I can always boil my tap water to get out the yucky taste and make iced tea or Crystal Light with it.

Was looking through the local paper today and came across one of those Look and Dine theaters opening in our area. I was curious so I went to the website to see what they offer. Their offering included alcoholic beverages, Sushi, Sandwiches and Wraps, Salads and pizza, sliders and more plus desserts. Apparently it hasn't officially opened yet because I couldn't find any idea of what prices would be for something like this, but the menu was totally amazing.

Woke up more my regular time today, 5:00A, but have only managed about 1/2 of my exercise time in. Will try to get some more in a bit later.

Was looking for a new shade for one of my lamps in the living room. It was a lamp I had gotten for my mom's apartment that I kept and the shade is a "wheat" color. It doesn't really go with the colors I have in my living room so I was looking for a white or off white one. Couldn't believe that all of the shades that fit it were totally out of stock . . . none to be had anywhere . . . result of COVID I guess. With some you actually have to take your lamp apart and change the harp on them . . . heck no. Where are the days when you just unscrew the current one and screw the new one on. And for what they are charging for them, you can almost buy a new lamp!

Well guess I'll go for now. Stay warm and have a great day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Right now it is shaping up to be a lovely day. It is -14*C (6*F), I may actually put on my cleats and go for a walk today. Not a long one just something to get some fresh air.

Monday the day I am to be out on the road traveling 120 miles for some tests, they are saying we will have a big snowfall. So I may talk to Hubby and we will go up a day earlier and maybe even stay a day longer if my late afternoon appointment takes too long. Decisions will need to be made soon as a hotel room will need to be booked.

We got a text during the afternoon that youngest DS was taking a second look at one of the last two houses he toured after work. Then got a text that there had been an offer made on that one already. So he decided to take another look at the second house. He has put in an offer on that one, it needs a bit more work done (especially in the basement) and has some minor work needed doing (painting the garage, the kitchen counter top, and an inside door needs replacing). The offer is 10K lower than what they wanted and will be hinged on a house inspection. Youngest figures that he will know sometime today if they accept his offer or counteroffer. I am keeping my fingers crossed for him. He is so excited.

With the texting back and forth between youngest and myself, the checking of oldest DS's tweets and his Facebook page, I really did not get much knitting done. So I am still working on toque number 2 and hoping to move on to pair of socks number 2 for the month tonight. It does not look likely that I will be getting my project list done completely for this month. I might have taken on a bit more than I should have.

Frugally speaking there will be no money spent today. I plan on going and getting gas probably on Sunday as well as our allowances out of the bank. That would give me 23 no spend days for the month. Not the 25 that I would have liked, but a respectful number.

I have noticed that some bloggers are doing a no spend January.....they don't count bill paying or grocery shopping as spending. Actually they don't count anything that is a "necessary spend" as spending. I guess that most of us here have been doing this for years and if I used their method I would have 31 days of no spending. That to me is just not right!!!!

Supper tonight is going to be either scrambled eggs on toast or cheese and veggie (peppers, onion, mushroom) omelets. Not proper omelets but my take on them.

Today I am grateful that we have the ability to travel a day early to my appointment if necessary.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/