frugal things I gave up

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: frugal things I gave up

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:28 am Happy Daze, I tried making my own pancake mix but could only achieve something my guys liked by spending time cutting in vegetable shortening and adding powdered milk. It's cheaper and easier for me to use the recipe on the Bisquik baking mix box.
mmm pancakes. The COD makes yummy pancakes. Had them twice for dinner last week. Think he uses Hungry Farmer mix. He isn't here this weekend and I was craving them. I didn't want to cook. Went to the store and got Eggo frozen pancakes. Haven't made them yet. I was pigging out on the chicken salad i bought.
clemencia2us

Re: frugal things I gave up

Post by clemencia2us »

icfrugal2 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:31 pm great thread :D

Before the pandemic, I would take my water jugs to The Water Store to refill them .25 a gallon VS 1.00 a gallon.

Now I buy the gallons of water at costco.

A sad side effect is that I have more and more empty gallon jugs. (bad side effect)

I do have a friend who takes out empty cans and bottles to redeem them, but the gallons ones aren't worth it. Space wise.

IC
We buy gallons of distilled water for the Keurig. Yes lots of plastic gallons around

But I decided to just fill them up with regular water and store them in the garage/carport.

We have had issues in our little town where the water has been out for up to three days. We might not drink this water, but it could be used for different things - flushing the toilet. Filling up the birdbath and outside feral animal water. You never know.