frugal things I gave up

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

frugal things I gave up

Post by Quilter51 »

So if any of you read the Frugal Girl (I know CG used to as to food waster if she's still watching silently) her topic today is frugal trips you tried and then abandoned. I have a few, probably some that all of you do, plus I have some frugal things I never did.

PS I'm not gonna put not couponing on tis list cause honestly I think coupons gave me up before I gave them up.

1. I don't line dry my clothes unless they are shrinkable or are my bras. I did try it for awhile, but it is not for me. And it surely woul d not have been with the kids.

2. I used to be a "cheapest on the menu" and or a water only and no dessert person. I like good food and I like to eat out. If I am going out, I am going to have the wine or soda, get what I want to eat and split the dessert with my partner. I am also going to be waited on.

3. Keeping the heat low and the AC high. There was a time when I still had kids at home this was a big thing. But we were all miserable, and I have decided that life is too short to ever be uncomfortable in my own home. So these days the heat is at 72 during the day.

4. Meal planning. I gave this up when the kids left so Im not sure its a frugal practice. I shop to fill the fridge and buy what sounds good and cook from what is onhand but I do not list out a menu. Tomorrow or two days from now is as far as I go, and this was true even when hubby was still with me.

5. Homemade maple srup or other condiments. Too easy to make and I now only use real syrup. Even log cabin never enters this abode.

6. I gave up searching for used clothing, even though I upscycle used clothing in crafts. I decided that with sales and a limited wardrobe I would be fine. I feel like the cost of the average shirt on poshmark is generally in the twenty to thirty dollar range (Mackie may correct me on this) and I can get those prices on sale with ease.

7. books. I now buy books. I still use the library, but on occasion there is a book I want right now, and I download it on my kindle from Amazon without guilt. (the new John Sandford that came out this week comes to mind)

Of course there are also alot of things other people do that I never did: This would include gardening, cutting my own hair, making my own laundry detergent, and anything more than basic diy stuff around the house.
LogicsHere

Re: frugal things I gave up

Post by LogicsHere »

1. Something I never gave up: I do not pump my own gas as there are now 2 gas stations in town who offer full service. If that comes to an end, then I will learn, but until then nope.

2. Coloring my hair. I used to do it myself in order to save money but decided to give it up years ago.

3. Couponing. Did work a long time ago; hasn't worked since TLCs program on Extreme Couponing. Most stuff even with the coupon is far more than I want to spend on it anyway.

4. Didn't start using paper towels for anything until about 8-10 years ago and typically go through no more than 1 roll a month if that much. Still use dish towels and air drying.

5. Never started buying used clothing; I'm just too picky and want something I can return for a refund if it doesn't fit. Don't want to have to deal with store credit.

6. Buying books. I still buy books from Amazon and through Bookbub, but mostly now download the Free ones. I don't use the library much, but if there is something that I can't get for free or discounted by at least 50%, then I'll check the library.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I did a lot of those things when I was younger. It was fun and I learned a lot, but now I just basically just cut back on shopping - clothes' etc. I don't need a lot.

I do like to go out to eat but I now order the smaller meals. I used to pig out! LOL
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

oh yes - quit coloring my hair.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I have never done several of the frugal practices that are common.
- Never line dried clothes
- Never meal planned
- Never made condiments, salad dressing, bread, homemade cleaning products (except vinegar and water)
- I have a lot of bar soap from hotels but don’t use it.

I think the frugal habit that has saved me the most money by far is that I keep items for a long time. My sofa, rocking chair, coffee table, dining set, footstool, end tables, washer/dryer and stove are all over 30 years old. My car is 10 years old.

I buy very few kitchen appliances. I have a toaster oven, electric hand mixer and that’s it. Also a microwave oven.

I don’t shop for entertainment.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I stopped coloring my hair.

I never really line dried anything other than delicates. Ex-H and I both have outdoor allergy issues.

I don't go into an office spurred on by the pandemic and really don't see myself doing do with my current company. So saving on Gas, clothing, eating out.

Pandemic really slowed down my social eating out.

I don't stockpile food like I did when I had a deep freeze and a basement shelving unit for storage.

As said above, I don't buy as many article of clothing because I don't need them.

But I don't need to pinch pennies as much as I did when I was married. I don't have a black hole in my budget that was Ex's credit card bill. I know exactly what I am using the credit card on and that I can pay the balance in full. I spend on things that are important to me and can wait to buy them if need be.