frugal things I gave up

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: frugal things I gave up

Post by Jackielou »

I no longer sit in a pile of separated 2ply toilet paper. Did that once, and will never, ever, do so again.

That is pretty much the only frugal thing I gave up (and as you can see gave up quite quickly).

There are things I have never done and those are a great deal. Never washed tinfoil, never dyed my hair, never washed ziplock bags to name just a few.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I haven't given up the UN-frugal habit of buying my favorite natural peanut butter even though it's $3.39 for a small jar - and I probably won't give that up - although I may use less of it if the price gets too much higher.

I go back and forth with getting good, professional hair cuts and colors and not. The pandemic put a hold on them for awhile.

I have a bit of a "used book habit" - but I probably sell as many as I purchase - so it's close to being a wash.

I stopped buying cheap (as in low quality) candles. If I'm going to light a candle, I want it to have a strong scent with a lot of throw, and to burn cleanly and evenly. The best good candles I have found are the Huntington Home ones at Aldi, or I'll get them from Bath and Body Works when they go on sale.

I stopped buying cheap dog food. I want my dogs to thrive and enjoy their food, not just exist on it.

I stopped not giving to good causes and put a giving line in my budget so I can contribute to organizations and causes that I care about and that are important to me. Not giving isn't frugal - it's selfish - I see it as a responsibility and a privilege.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

A shirt at Poshmark is much less than that if you shop very wisely on the site. But it takes a lot of time.

I gave up automatically buying the cheapest thing. I also had a short stab at making my own cleaners and laundry detergent and no longer do that. Our mineral-rich water does not work with homemade stuff well at all.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I buy both new and used clothes. But the thing I like about used clothes, particularly older things and those from certain labels, is the the quality is often much better that you find today.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Mackie, I will have to do more due diligence. I seem to find that the things I like are in the twenty dollar range and I can do that with both AVenue or Macy's or whatever on sale.

Admittedly I am VERY color oriented and many colors I simply do not wear.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

AH! Here's something "frugal" I no longer do .....

I take Tums (chewable antacid) a few times a week. I don't even always need it, but it's calcium (and frankly it's almost a "candy treat" for me, LOL)

I usually buy a store brand of assorted flavors, and there's always one flavor that I just do not like at all. Usually the green one, lol But, to be frugal and not wasteful, I'd eat it, anyway, BLEH!

One day, I dropped a green one on the floor, ate a pink one, instead, then threw the green one away, thinking.....at least it was one i hate. I realized.......so, why don't I just throw the green ones out???

Seriously, why am I eating it if I hate it, to save a few cents???

So now I just throw them out, whenever it comes out of the bottle, lol

That got me to thinking.............why am I using or eating ANYTHING that I truly do not like? Just because I spent the money? So now, I'll only go so far to "improve" any food I've made, or can of soup I opened, etc. If i buy any product (soap, shampoo, etc, etc) that turns out I do not like, I either return it, or give it to my sisters

Having said that, I also have stopped hunting for the cheapest anything.....like lotion, dish liquid, salad dressing, ketchup, toothpaste, cleaners, socks, anything at all, ink pens, you name it etc. I KNOW which products and brands that I like, so I just buy them. Maybe there's a sale, maybe not. If I can get it a little cheaper somewhere, I try to do that, but I don't go out of my way to do so. Coupons, BOGO, rewards, never entice me to buy something I don't love, or even try something new if I know what I like. i figure if I'm 100% happy with an item, then it's 100% frugal. Saving half the price to be zero % happy is a waste of money, and life!
ohjodi