frugal things I gave up

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: frugal things I gave up

Post by MackerelCat »

Jodi, one of my steadfast volunteers at the public radio station told me once that were only about 25 things she bought at the grocery store and she was not interested in buying anything else. She had reached the age where she knew what she liked and that's what she bought. That alone saved her money because she wasn't wasting it trying new things. Her words really struck a chord with me.
Mackie
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

great thread :D

Before the pandemic, I would take my water jugs to The Water Store to refill them .25 a gallon VS 1.00 a gallon.

Now I buy the gallons of water at costco.

A sad side effect is that I have more and more empty gallon jugs. (bad side effect)

I do have a friend who takes out empty cans and bottles to redeem them, but the gallons ones aren't worth it. Space wise.

IC
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

After trying a new to me pancake mix I got at Walmart yesterday, I have decided to give up making my own from scratch. It is so much better than my homemade ones and I'm willing to give up the hassle . I don't like that the product may contain eggs (I haven't looked) - but I'll live.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Happy Daze, I tried making my own pancake mix but could only achieve something my guys liked by spending time cutting in vegetable shortening and adding powdered milk. It's cheaper and easier for me to use the recipe on the Bisquik baking mix box.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:28 am Happy Daze, I tried making my own pancake mix but could only achieve something my guys liked by spending time cutting in vegetable shortening and adding powdered milk. It's cheaper and easier for me to use the recipe on the Bisquik baking mix box.
Yikes, with the prices of shortening and powdered milk, I would imagine so!

Honestly, the pancakes from the mix remind me of the ones my grandparents used to make - yummm!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I could never use many of those mixes that they used to share with the make your own in advance because I use oil. I use pancake mix for pancakes, but I do make my waffles from scratch and seperate the eggs. When I bother to do it they are nothing like frozen. I also keep a good brand of frozen pancakes (not eggo, german) in my freezer.

I also keep cake mixes on hand. Next week for coffee hour I am making a sandwich cookie based on the fun fetti cake mix with some additions and looking forward to it.