Daily Check-in May 12, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check-in May 12, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. I brought my coffee from home this morning but have switched over to ginger ale.

Maggie, my DH has been doing a certification course in his spare time since before Christmas. That's pretty much what he does on weekends.

Today is day four of no water in our office. I sure hope the workmen get the plumbing to the building repaired soon, as Lovely Boss and I are really clocking in the steps walking a block round trip to visit the bathrooms in the nearest building. On Tuesday I refilled the big container of homemade hand wipes I keep at work so that we are able to keep our hands clean even without water.

No meetings today, but I will be doing computer work for two other offices that don't have assistants. It's one of those things that's a tedious click, copy, paste, review because the propriety software our department uses will not import information from Excel spreadsheets. Hey, it keeps me employed! :-D

Hope you all have a safe and peaceful day.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Morning all. Mid seventies but it will hit niney today so after this I will work on watering my patio flowers and plants and do a quick round of the apartment and pickup and also get some steps in.

I need to dig out my bedroom today. Yesterday I brought bras in two sizes and a couple other things home knowing that half would need to be returned (the store is okay with it, I just cannot try on in dressing rooms with all my issues). Somewhere is my receipt but darned if I know where, so I will search for it. I am never getting an underwire bra again after my last good one wears out (still good), swear, volupuous or not.

Yesterday I went to grilled cheese lunch and then I got my annual mammo and my first bone density test, so my day was fairly well shot in terms of doing stuff at home. after that, I did the lane bryant bra shop and met friends at a new restaurant called Shuck Me for happy hour where they each had a small platter and I just had lobster shuckers (hush puppies with lobster inside) and a drink.

Since my eating yesterday consided of a glazed donut for breakfast, the half grilled cheese for lunch and the hush puppies, I came home and had a large bowl of vegetable soup for dinner!

Today and tomorrow I plan to be mainly at home, other than perhaps walking to our little in community food pantry and maybe driving to the senior center. I want to spend some intensive time on some quilting and other projects, including my on line work.

I'm tentatively making a large casserole dish of shepherd's pie (never did homemade before) so that I can break it down into freezable portions. Since my energy and ability to stand is pretty much shot by six, I will make it mid afternoon and then just leave out one day's portion to eat tonight. I also need to make a dozen poached eggs again.

Ye
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Terrible night of no sleep. Up and down all night. Worse than when I had to get up to tend to senior pup.

And I had to set my alarm at 8. Have to go to siblings house when the home health people come by. Someone has to be there to take in what they say. She forgets.

So off to put on my face - lol

Have a great day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Clem, you are probably so used to be awakened by the elderly dogs that a night of unbroken sleep is weird to you. I hope everything goes okay with your sister.

I spent most of the morning cleaning out closets in the office. We have five, and two of them were full of junk. One was almost entirely full of belongings left behind by a graduate student who moved out a year ago. A third was full of Covid supplies, which will be moved out. Now I have everything sorted between the first two and corralled the Covid supplies on one side of the meeting space for easy pick-up. There's a chair full of items for me to take to Goodwill on the way home. I did score three more rolls of toilet paper, bringing the total to 32 rolls. My family is set for the next shortage. :-D Also found a dollar bill inside a discarded book.

We had a lot of large laminated maps of the buildings and posters that wouldn't fit on the closet shelves, and also a box of clothes hangers that were being thrown away, the kind pants are sold on with built-in clips. Inspiration struck and I clipped the maps and posters on the hangers and hung them in the closet. It worked great!
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Clem, sending you a big (((hug))).

Mackie, you're so smart! That was an ingenious idea.

Good morning frugal friends. Add me to the list of those who did not sleep very well last night. I never thought that would happen to me; I was always a champion sleeper, lol.

Well, I made an appointment tomorrow afternoon to get my hair cut. I'm nervous about it which is so weird b/c I used to be fearless when it comes to my hair. More than once I've gone from super long (middle of my back) to a super short pixie. Now though it's scary. Maybe because my face has aged so much and I use a walker, I just don't want my hair to be one more thing I hate? Plus it doesn't grow back as fast as it used to. Oh well. Sorry I keep moaning about this; I know y'all are sick of reading about it, lol.

DH's birthday is next week. I've sent a group text to his family and our neighbor to see if we can all meet for lunch either this Saturday or the next. Hopefully we can make it work.

I'm not sure what I feel like making for dinner tonight. Maybe breakfast.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Patty, that is a really cute hairstyle you picked out. And if you find you don't like the bangs, once they grow a little bit, you can pull them back with a head band and just fluff out the very short bits at your hairline for a new look.

I already need a haircut again as the stylist didn't cut the layers on top of my head. My hair is really thick and grows forward in an S-shape, and it's already flopping forward and driving me crazy. When the stylist listens to me and layers with a heavy hand, I can go four months without needing a haircut.
Mackie