Stamp Out Hunger, Sat. May 14

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Stamp Out Hunger, Sat. May 14

Post by floridacatlover »

In the U.S., the Post Office food collection is this Saturday, May 14. The postal worker put a bag in my mailbox yesterday.

As in previous years, they are collecting cereal, pasta, peanut butter, canned goods including beans, fruits, vegetables, soup, tuna in water, meat and sauce. No glass containers.

I recent years, I think this food drive has not been great. Either last year or the year before, a food bank in my area said they only received 1/3 the donations of previous years. For several years they didn’t put the bags in the mailboxes and I think that hurt the collection. I hope they do well this year.
LogicsHere

Re: Stamp Out Hunger, Sat. May 14

Post by LogicsHere »

I got the flyer announcement for this yesterday as well. I don't recall them ever giving us bags to fill, only to put the items next to the mailbox in a bag and they will pick it up.

They didn't have the drive in 2020 to the best of my knowledge. And with the food shortages the last few years I can understand the donations being significantly lower. With the current inflation, that will hold true again this year.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I think you are correct, Logics, that donations will not be great.

Last Saturday when I got out early for the mobile recycling, I saw that someone had left a bag of donations at the mailboxes. They were a week early. I hope the postal person still took them and set them aside.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I don't have as much to donate this year as previous years. We used to do two bags, but it's just one this year. Partly that's because I buy a lot of things now in glass jars to avoid plastic, but there's just a bit less to go around as well.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

This is a great event. I dont participate because I am actively involved in a few food pantries and homeless helping situations where they call out for a need and I give.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:58 pm I don't have as much to donate this year as previous years. We used to do two bags, but it's just one this year. Partly that's because I buy a lot of things now in glass jars to avoid plastic, but there's just a bit less to go around as well.
We're kind of in the same boat. I realized my pantry isn't as flush as it used to be. That, and I've been buying more markdown/dented items. I'd find it embarrassing to send dented cans off to the food bank. On second thought, they probably wouldn't take them, would they?

My donation's out at the mailbox. Hopefully the mail carrier will be around soon: We don't always get Saturday delivery. And it's about to rain ...