Formula shortage in Canada?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Formula shortage in Canada?

Post by SandiSAHM »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:58 pm We survived many things that were not optimum and about which we now know better. I spent 10 years as one of four kids in the back seat of a sedan, and my parents gave me ipecac for gums.
When I think of how many miles I biked as a kid with no helmet...

Or skateboarded, also without a helmet or pads. Did have an accident doing that, wound up with a bad case of road rash - never skateboard in a sundress, not even if it's just for transportation rather than fun.

What really alarms me is I remember taking aspirin as a kid :shock:
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Well I take to 325s daily now and have for over ten years, so as an adult that doesnt bother me.

But anytime people say well we survived, I have to say first that a lot less survived than did now. Canned milk and karo syrup were considered a last resort and not nutritional sound and failed alot of babies. Infant mortality and young child mortality and all that. When I was sixteen I hit a tree going a speed I wont even share without any seatbelt type protection. here an I a alive to speak about it. But I know darned well that I was lucky in that my body went parway though a (rolled down thankfully) window and a really heavy car. But it still affedted me for life.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I know that Mom did not put corn syrup in hers. I used to watch her make it for our youngest brother. It was something else that the doctor said to use in place of. She was always so careful to fully sterilize all the utensils, the bottles and nipples. Mom usually made about 15 glass bottles at a time and stored them in the back of the fridge.

Yep, I remember the baby aspirin given to us growing up, loved the taste of those.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

My daughter was born in Germany in an US Army hospital. We were told we could use any one of several different formulas.

At that time you made formula put it into glass bottles and then cooked in a sterilizers for a time I don't remember the time now, but might have been 20 minutes.

You could only keep for one day.

If you used one of the commercial formulas you followed instructions on can of liquid.

My daughter couldn't tolerate Enfamil, so I made her a formula with Dextro-Maltose and evaporated milk. When we went out I had a bottle made with boiled water and the Dextro-Maltose for one bottle. I added some evaporated milk and either pitched the rest. If we were visiting German friends we would offer them the rest of the can. They were very happy to accept.

Penny
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:35 pm I was reading about a formula shortage in the US; I didn't realize it was in Canada too.

Shelves here are fully stocked; I love grape pedialyte (cures headaches) and keep a bottle in stock and that's the same aisle - no empty slots.

Maybe, in places where it's in short supply, it's either a supply chain thing or a hoarding thing - like TP at the beginning of the pandemic.

My ex MIL says ex-h was allergic to everything *except* buttermilk. Why buttermilk would be any different than cow's milk...? But he grew up not to have lactose issues. Sure does love buttermilk, though. Only person I've ever seen drink it straight. :shock:
I can confirm with Jackie that there is no shortage in our Canadian city either.

Creative
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:37 pm Well I take to 325s daily now and have for over ten years, so as an adult that doesnt bother me.

But anytime people say well we survived, I have to say first that a lot less survived than did now. Canned milk and karo syrup were considered a last resort and not nutritional sound and failed alot of babies. Infant mortality and young child mortality and all that. When I was sixteen I hit a tree going a speed I wont even share without any seatbelt type protection. here an I a alive to speak about it. But I know darned well that I was lucky in that my body went parway though a (rolled down thankfully) window and a really heavy car. But it still affedted me for life.
I hate to admit it but I STILL love the taste of children's aspirin. DH takes it 4 times a week (just the 325mg) at our PCP's suggestion. I don't need it (my cardiac calcification score is 0 - his is only 6, faaar off from the ~400 or so where things become problematic), which is a drag, none of the stuff I do need tastes that good!