Formula shortage in Canada?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Formula shortage in Canada?

Post by Quilter51 »

I know we are not new parents here for the most part, but it's been suggested to me that you can change your Amazon residence to Canada and have formula shipped here. So I'm asking. Is this only a US thing?
Mrscreative

Re: Formula shortage in Canada?

Post by Mrscreative »

I had to go to the pharmacy today to pick up my prescriptions and out of curiosity I checked the baby formula aisle and it appeared to be very well stocked. I checked the packages and all our formula is manufactured in Canada. They had a variety - premature, lactose free, regular, soy based. I think Moms may breastfeed a lot longer with paid maternity leave for 40 weeks, and additional unpaid leave. So there may not be quite as much demand. I should add this is for the province of Ontario. I think maternity leave could vary by province.

Apparently you can get it in the U.S. from Amazon by going to the Canadian Amazon website. How shipping and customs works, I am not sure.

I hope this helps.

Creative
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm I know we are not new parents here for the most part, but it's been suggested to me that you can change your Amazon residence to Canada and have formula shipped here. So I'm asking. Is this only a US thing?
Hello Quilter!

I"ve been reading a lot on this as my niece, a lawyer, had my great nephew last week and has no maternity leav, so she is formula feeding.

The USA has onlyy FOUR formula manufacturing plants in the ENTIRE USA. Only ONE of them is currently operating according to a Congresswoman interviewed on CNN today. This is an effect of corporation all being bought up and corporate consolidation of manufacturing.

The Abbott Laboratory, in Sturgis, Michigan, is where the problem was first discovered in February when many infants were hospitalized due to a bacteria and two died. They traced it back to plant contamination at Abbott's Michigan plant and the plant has been closed since them for decontamination. The FDA has yet to re-approve manufacturing at the plant but Abbott says it will be begin production within the next two weeks. I won't take their word for.

So, that is the big reason their is a formula shortage. Another article I read said that the new NAFTA that trump negotiated left infant formula only to be allowed to be distributed if it was made in the USA. THIS IS A LARGER problem BECAUSE IF YOU TRY TO IMPORT FORMULA, customs can seize it has a 17% tariff on it to pay due to it having been manufactured in CANADA.

Another thing is that the supply chain plays a small part in this as each state is not receiving the same amount of formula as other states. This statistic I didn't find very helpful because it didn't state why the formula was distributed the way it was, was it by state population? Previous sales stats? Didn't provide that information.

AND finally, THE PANDEMIC. Another article I read stated that when people were busy hoarding Toilet Paper, parents were hoarding formula. SO at the beginning of the pandemic they manufactured more. Then? Just like with Toilet Paper, people were stocked up and stopped buying. This lead the plant "estimators" to reduce production and so the problem had started up and was in the early stages before the Abbott Lab's plant in Michigan was such down for contamination.

IF trump's new NAFTA didn't negotiate out infant formula from being imported? The situation wouldn't be so dire. If there were more than 4 formula manufacuting plants in a country of 330 Million people the situation would be so dire. If more than one plant were operating. If only formula COULD legally be imported from Canada or Europe. *shrugh* I'm hoping that some parents who are trying to import it can get it past customs but if it is labelled correctly by the shipping agent? Hard to say.

It's a tough gig for parents in the USA. CANADA is still doing okay on that front. I hope my little great nephew is able to have a formula that is still manufactured and they are able to access it!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:00 pm Hello Quilter!

I"ve been reading a lot on this as my niece, a lawyer, had my great nephew last week and has no maternity leav, so she is formula feeding.

The USA has onlyy FOUR formula manufacturing plants in the ENTIRE USA. Only ONE of them is currently operating according to a Congresswoman interviewed on CNN today. This is an effect of corporation all being bought up and corporate consolidation of manufacturing.

The Abbott Laboratory, in Sturgis, Michigan, is where the problem was first discovered in February when many infants were hospitalized due to a bacteria and two died. They traced it back to plant contamination at Abbott's Michigan plant and the plant has been closed since them for decontamination. The FDA has yet to re-approve manufacturing at the plant but Abbott says it will be begin production within the next two weeks. I won't take their word for.

So, that is the big reason their is a formula shortage. Another article I read said that the new NAFTA that trump negotiated left infant formula only to be allowed to be distributed if it was made in the USA. THIS IS A LARGER problem BECAUSE IF YOU TRY TO IMPORT FORMULA, customs can seize it has a 17% tariff on it to pay due to it having been manufactured in CANADA.

Another thing is that the supply chain plays a small part in this as each state is not receiving the same amount of formula as other states. This statistic I didn't find very helpful because it didn't state why the formula was distributed the way it was, was it by state population? Previous sales stats? Didn't provide that information.

AND finally, THE PANDEMIC. Another article I read stated that when people were busy hoarding Toilet Paper, parents were hoarding formula. SO at the beginning of the pandemic they manufactured more. Then? Just like with Toilet Paper, people were stocked up and stopped buying. This lead the plant "estimators" to reduce production and so the problem had started up and was in the early stages before the Abbott Lab's plant in Michigan was such down for contamination.

IF trump's new NAFTA didn't negotiate out infant formula from being imported? The situation wouldn't be so dire. If there were more than 4 formula manufacuting plants in a country of 330 Million people the situation would be so dire. If more than one plant were operating. If only formula COULD legally be imported from Canada or Europe. *shrugh* I'm hoping that some parents who are trying to import it can get it past customs but if it is labelled correctly by the shipping agent? Hard to say.

It's a tough gig for parents in the USA. CANADA is still doing okay on that front. I hope my little great nephew is able to have a formula that is still manufactured and they are able to access it!

MJ
They did a news report on this last night on a Canadian channel I watch. Reporters asked people not to go crazy as we here do not have a shortage of formula.

Also I remember my Mom saying that for me and my sister she made her own formula using canned milk, hot water, and I think a couple of other ingredients. There used to be the recipe right on the Carnation Milk evaporated milk can. I think it is gone now but the recipe should be an easy Google.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm I know we are not new parents here for the most part, but it's been suggested to me that you can change your Amazon residence to Canada and have formula shipped here. So I'm asking. Is this only a US thing?
I know I blabbed on a lot on this but here is one of the really good articles I read on the topic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/baby-formula-shortage-abbott-recall/629828/

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

The recipe that our parents used is not safe and does not have the nutrients needed. they used it because there was nothing else and here in the us there has been a big push to NOT make your own formula, which is why I was asking. This is one of those, "well our parents did it thing" that is not wise to return to

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/well/homemade-baby-formula.html