Daily Check-in May 14, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check-in May 14, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

It has been a busy day - housework, a hair appointment and grocery shopping (I did not do a $25 challenge). It was sunny and warm which I appreciate so much.

Sad news about the shooting in Buffalo, about 2 and a half hours from here. My daughter lived there for 12 years. Going to try to have a relaxing and restful night.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:39 am Creative,

My bike is still in storage at Zoe and John's house. I now have a bigger problem with riding it. I have no place to put it because our caretaker, &#@!, won't let them be stored outside anymore and I don't have the room in my apartment without making it difficult to open the front door. UGH! Maybe I'll talk to &#@! about him letting me store it under the stairs. He might go for that but I'm not holding my breath. &#@! runs warm and cold on what he wants to do or give for accommodations.

I also have to admit to being a bit scared to ride it. With my right leg causing me to crash twice on steps this winter, I hope it would hold up to biking. I have a walking/bike path less than 50 yards away from the front door of my apartment buidling so that is a good thing. Just gotta test it out and see where it goes from there!!

MJ
The scaredy cat!!
MJ please don’t call yourself a scaredy-cat! It would be foolhardy to attempt to ride it if you don’t feel comfortable. You must remember I have the opportunity to ride my bike every year, so it’s not a skill I must relearn. My Dh also keeps it very well tuned and ensures the tires are inflated and brakes are working.

If you do decide to test it out, please test the brakes first. Ride only a short distance on a smooth, level trail. Make sure you can touch the ground with your feet and that the seat is at the correct height. And always wear a helmet. I am very fortunate to not have any mobility or balance issues.

Not having a place to store it for protection from the elements and theft is a pain too. Now I feel badly about asking, but I remember you seemed quite excited. Riding a stationery bike is good exercise too!

Please exercise caution!

Creative
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:23 pm MJ please don’t call yourself a scaredy-cat! It would be foolhardy to attempt to ride it if you don’t feel comfortable. You must remember I have the opportunity to ride my bike every year, so it’s not a skill I must relearn. My Dh also keeps it very well tuned and ensures the tires are inflated and brakes are working.

If you do decide to test it out, please test the brakes first. Ride only a short distance on a smooth, level trail. Make sure you can touch the ground with your feet and that the seat is at the correct height. And always wear a helmet. I am very fortunate to not have any mobility or balance issues.

Not having a place to store it for protection from the elements and theft is a pain too. Now I feel badly about asking, but I remember you seemed quite excited. Riding a stationery bike is good exercise too!

Please exercise caution!

Creative
Creative,

Thanks for all those good tips. Yes, with the hill down from my apartment to the flat walking/bike path, I would be walking it over to the bike path.

Yes, I WAS really excited about my bike last year. That was before my friend "jinxed" it by the laughing at me when I told her she'd hurt my feelings after telling me to shut up because I "just go on and on and on." That was the day I was telling her about my bike and how excited I was to get it and we had gone to Canadian Tire so I could get a tire pump. It's been "jinxed" ever since. I keep trying to get away from that VERY big hurt and how it has changed my view of what I will discuss with that friend of over 30 years but I just can't seem to separate the two. I know to some people it is really silly but my poor, beautiful new bike gives me "bad juju."

I told Zoe, before they got my bike to store at their house (aren't they just the loveliest people EVER?!) and she told me I would get past it but so far, even this year, I haven't. I'm still debating what I am going to do especially now that I have no place to store it. It would literally be a fire hazard to have parked in my little hallway coming into my apartment. Phooey. Maybe, I can go over to John and Zoe's and try it out on their flat level street and see how it goes. I haven't reached a decison yet as I am waffling back and forth about what to do.

You've offered good safety tips and I'll definitely keep those in mind!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.