Daily Check-in May 14, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check-in May 14, 2022

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matine toute le monde!

I did respond to Quilter last night on her Baby Formula thread and this morning posted a really good article from The Atlantic that addresses the problem very well.

I was SO tired last night that after I posted on the Baby Formula thread, I couldn't check-in for the day. I was knackered and went to bed before 9 pm. I listened to one of my CBC Radio Shows and then drifted off to sleep and got up around 6 am. So it was a very restful night. I feel a lot more rejuvenated than I have for awhile.

Yesterday, Jay and I went for lunch at the soup kitchen Oh! Wow was it good. Pulled BBQ pork, corn on the cob, potato salad, soup and dessert. The pulled pork? VERY GOOD! I wish I knew how to make that and not have it cost me a fortune! I also got some bread and bagels and a bag of hot cross buns. I am throwing them in the freezer so they will still be good when I take the to babysit Charlee this week.

I got up yesterday morning and once more caught a glimpse of my ratty overly long find hair and the mess it was. Oh! It was bad! I kept thinking, "Why do you put up with looking so awful when you DON"T even like it yourself?" So I got on the phone and called the school to see if they were taking appointments. I got one for 1:30 pm. The student, Dylan, who cut my hair did an EXCELLENT job! I walked in with my mess and said, "Cut it as short and like Jamie Lee Curtis!" Boy were they happy to have someone want to go short short! That's a pixie cut that looks good with my uber fine, baby like hair. Once it gets as long as it had been, it's a nightmare. Creative and Patty inspired me to head out and get a spring hairdo!! It was $11.00 for the haircut and I gave a $5.00 tip. I thought that's about 50% but it didn't seem enough really considering how lovely my new haircut is and the time he took to cut it. Sure feels so nice!

Today is a day to pull a couple of the bigger chicken breasts out of the box I bought in January so I can make Chicken Marrakesh for supper tomorrow. I so love that dish over rice or rice on the side. I'll have to drag out the crockpot from the storage room for my small appliances. I might make some waffles tonight so I can get out my waffle maker if I decide to go that route. I LOVE waffles and I have the "old fashioned" waffle maker not the big holes like Belgian Waffles.

I have to unload the dishwasher today. I also want to clear off the counters of stuff that's accumulated. I thought of doing the very small load of laundry I have and decided to wait until Tuesday so I'll have all fresh clothes to pack on Wednesday to be ready to go to babysit Charlee on Thursday. I am also, sometime in the next couple of days, put together a very small grocery list for the few items I'll need to take for food to Charlees. I want to get some Coleslaw and potato salad, cheese slices and meat to make sandwiches for supper. I am still deciding if I will take hot dogs for lunch. I probably will as they are some of my favorite lunch time eats. I need to get a block of cream cheese for my morning bagel too. Tannis and Gary, Charlee's pawrents, said they will provide snacks and I have, as part of my "contract" getting Diet Pepsi to drink while there. I've made CERTAIN to "subtly" tell the friend I had such a horrible experience dog sitting at Christmas that my Doggo Sitting contract now includes, Needing a BED, Diet Pepsi and $15 a day. Charlee's Dad thinks I should be getting at least $20/day. I'm good pretty much with whatever I get paid. I have to watch it because of the disability office. Charlee's house is SO NICE and SO COMFY!! It's like Franki Boi's house, me being paid to be on vacation!! I LOVEZ this doggo/pet sitting gig!!

Not too much else going on around here today. I can't see having a need to go out and have no need to spend any money on anything. I have to go to Shoppers Drug Mart as I have a prescription to pick-up that I've forgotten to get. I figure I'll do that tomorrow though.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Quilter51 » Sat May 14, 2022 10:53 am

Penny, I think the turn around time for your repair is criminal but thankfully I think you got them before the warrantly ran out? I know your budget is very tight but if the wait is too long maybe your son or daughter could pay once or twice for one of those fluff and fold places so you dont have to haul laundry any where.

Mackie, good to hear your hubby's job is safe, but having no debt is helpful.

It's really funny, I sew quilts, home decor, and almost anythingyou canname but not clothing. I suppose I should start but Im particular on color and seem to find enough stuff on sale and the used market to keep me going.

It's already 85 and the temp is heading north quickly. I slept fairly well and as soon as I got up stripped my bed and threw stuff in the wash, watered the plansts, and moved around a bit before sitting down with my breakfast and the laptop. In addition to my normal morning stuff, I spent time setting up my ibotta list and getting a red card from target in order to add a bit more savings to the pot here and there and also got the upside app so I can get cashback for gas.

I ordered some yarn overnight on Amazon to start a summer shawl for me and it's not here. I don't care long as it get's here today.

I REALLY need to go to the fabric store and get a couple things and perhaps to Ace to look at plants. But there are two university graduations this week in my small town and I may decide to avoid the main drag until I head out to my afternooon of irish music at three and maybe pick up a small Target order. I need paper towels and a small dishdrainer that fits in my kitchen so that I can get rid of the huge ever loving thing that sits on y counter now.

Gonna try and earn some money for half an hour or forty mintues then walk the house andhead to the craft room .
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com
We are working out a wash and fold laundry deal. My daughter lives too far away for her washer to make sense.

I have to look into it I don't know how it would work in an apartment building. I have other residents who might take the clothes. A friend had a cart of laundry stolen while she was talking to a friend.

Penny
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Penny, I sure hope you can get something worked out with your laundry while the washer is being fixed. I'm glad you squeaked in under the warranty, and I hope it covers your needed part/service.

Mackie, I said a prayer that your DH's job will remain secure. Debt-free or not, I know the possibility of losing employment is a stressor. (((hugs)))

Clem, be safe and have a good time.

Afternoon, y'all. First of all, I have to say I slept like a baby last night! It was amazing. I woke up feeling RESTED, can you imagine? Yesterday I stopped by a CBD store close to my house and bought a small pack (5) of Delta 8 gummies. This is the CBD plus THC. I took half a gummy about an hour before bed and it worked like a charm. I didn't wake up with pain one time...which is nothing short of a miracle in my book, because I wake up many, many times each night and eventually feel like I have to get out of bed because I can't spend one more minute lying down. This morning after I woke up and looked at the clock, I just lay in bed feeling relaxed, and I actually went back to sleep! I'm so happy to have tried them. Of course, we have politicians in TN who are working hard to outlaw any product containing THC. It's ridiculous because medical marijuana is legal in Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, and Alabama -- all surrounding states of TN. It's so frustrating because I think I could really benefit from it. But the geniuses who run Tennessee will never allow it.

Yesterday I went to a new-to-me salon nearby. I really liked my stylist. She listened to me and really studied the picture I gave her and told me what she would need to do to get mine to look like that. Then she took me to the shampoo chair, washed and conditioned my hair, then gave me a fabulous haircut. She really took her time and finessed the hair. It was a definite splurge but worth it to me. I gave her a big tip. Afterwards, I went to the CBD store, then went by Sonic to grab dinner for us. So it was a big outing for me, and a successful one. My therapist is encouraging me to get out, do the things even if they make me nervous -- just be wise and careful while doing them.

I took a pack of chicken thighs out of the freezer. I'm not sure how I'm fixing them, but I'm leaning towards oven roasted and finishing with barbecue sauce.

I have a load in the washer. It's the last one. I'm reading a good e-book right now that I got for free or nearly free. It's called Strangers We Know and it's about an adoptee doing a DNA test only to find out that she is closely related to a serial killer. It's got some twists and turns in it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Patty
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Hello ... been a bit.

It's 85 here, and the predicted storms are moving in. DH is still out at the baseball fields, hopefully under cover.

Work has been kicking my rear end. Last couple of days have been quiet, but things are supposed to pick up again, and we may be short-handed. Just a few more weeks ...

My back/hip has been giving me trouble again. I finally made an appointment with my family doc for next week. He may refer me, but it will be quicker than trying to get in the practice I was going to.

Went to the supermarket today, and hit the markdown section at the right time. Snagged a few things, including some coffee and some canned cat food. (Hopefully my cats will enjoy a treat.) Afterward, finally planted my herbs in the porch pots. I need to plant my lettuce (in pots) ... hoping it's not too late temperature-wise.

Penny, I'm sorry to hear about your washer. That's ridiculous!
Mackie, crossing my fingers for your DH. Know what it's like to watch as coworkers get laid off :cry:
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Thank you for the prayer, Patty. Your day out sounds wonderful, especially finding something that helps you sleep. Stock up, just in case!

The stuff I give Rosie Dog is marketed as hemp oil, but it actually says CBD oil on the bottle. This may be to get around hold out legislation.. She is so much more comfortable since we started her on it. Her anxiety is pretty much gone and her arthritis pain is a lot more bearable.

Today I finally packaged up all the clean prescription bottles we were saving for the Matthew 25 Missions project, which uses donated medication bottles to distribute pills during medical missions overseas. It took us a year to get a boxful of them. It was nice to keep the bottles out of the landfill.

We spent a lot at the grocery store, but bought non-food things like cat litter and allergy pills as well as the usual. Food Lion finally had fig bars and frozen peas in stock, and DH could finally get the light cranberry juice he prefers.

When we got home, I used some discount codes and saved a good bit ordering some Atkins protein shakes from Vitacost. My fingernails finally started looking better, as a side effect, when I started drinking one of those a day. I started using them to combat getting hungry around 3 pm at work.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

The sun is out and has been for awhile now. Love it.

I did a bit of sewing on the skirt. They managed to leave some of the directions off the paper so I winged it. Tomorrow I will finish off the skirt and hem both the pants and skirt. I really like this skirt pattern and may use some other fabric I have to make another one. I really need to start wearing my skirts and dresses for spring and summer more.

I decided to make a beef roll for supper so I have the mixed veggies cooking and will be putting them through the processor very soon. Then I will make the biscuit dough and get the rest ready to put in the oven. This will give us at least 8 rolls which means lots of leftovers for lunches or suppers. May even freeze a few for a meal down the road a bit.

I am looking forward to youngest DS coming home next weekend and then it will only be about 6 weeks before oldest is home for a week or two. I am hoping that youngest will come home around the same time so I can have them both home.

Slowly making my way through my list of projects for the month. I am not too sure when the outside ones will be done as they depend on the weather, but if the sun is shining the next couple of days and there is no rain in the forecast I may just get the painting of the outdoor furniture completed. Just have to see what happens.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/