One Week, $25

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
GMPG54

Re: One Week, $25

Post by GMPG54 »

My thoughts would be it's not taking food allergies or special diets into consideration,e.g.peanuts, diabetics celiac.
Which would make it nearly impossible.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:48 pm Let's imagine you have only $25 to spend to feed yourself three meals a day for 5 days. You have nothing in the house - no spices, condiments, etc. What would you purchase? What would you prepare?
Rice and beans!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:51 pm Rice and beans!
And eggs, light sprinkling of cheese on all of it.

(If I go light on the rice, that helps with my sugars, and it's vegetarian and gluten-free - a win all around :lol: ).

There would be a couple days in there where it was mostly just scrambled eggs with a little cheese, and maybe a slice of toast with butter, I can't do beans or lentils every day, but every other is usually okay.

I'd miss my fresh veggies and salads though, at least 'til the whole of the garden is producing.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm Great ideas. I would not have thought about a food pantry because in my county? or state you need to be on SNAP or prove that you were below a certain income and be recommended to join by a church. And as far as friends and relatives (1) I would never have thought about that either because I'm too independent for my own good and (2) having never been in that position it just would never occur to me.
I would first try a Church-based food pantry. As I said, I see it being an emergency-type situation. I have a large extended, supportive family that would help too.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I live in an area with some no questions asked religion based food help and my senior retirement community has a food pantry. I also have family near by.

I'm comfortable using these options because I regularly give to both my church and local pantries during those times I am able.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Quilter51 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:56 am I live in an area with some no questions asked religion based food help and my senior retirement community has a food pantry. I also have family near by.

I'm comfortable using these options because I regularly give to both my church and local pantries during those times I am able.
We also have a no questions asked foodbanks here. One church does it weekly.

Once a month we have a mega food drive put on by the San Antonio foodbank. Tons of food and they just get asked some general questions - number in the household, any seniors or veterans.

There is one that is for senior commodities once a month at city hall. You have to be 60 or over to get supplies.

There are also food lockers in the other towns. People leave non perishable foods and other household goods in a shelf - and anyone can go buy get what they need or leave supplies.