One Week, $25

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: One Week, $25

Post by HappyDaze »

I would have to have one type or another of coffee - so would hit Dollar Tree for that. My list would look something like this

Dollar Tree -- Coffee, canister or oatmeal, peanut butter, loaf of bread, 24 oz. box of pasta, 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, pound of lentils, bag of tostadas, olive oil cooking spray, bag of craisins, 16 oz, bag of gingersnap cookies or frosted animal crackers, 6 oz. block of cheese - total $16.25

Save A Lot - 1 lb. bag of fresh kale for $2.59, 2 quarts of almond milk, $2.99 - total $5.58

Regular Grocery - 3 bags of produce (whatever vegetables they have) from the rescued produce rack - total $2.97

Total = $24.80

I can see that this would not be the healthiest diet - wow, yikes!

Breakfasts would be oatmeal with almond milk, craisins, peanut butter, and crushed cookies. Lunches would be cooked lentils with a bit of tomato sauce and cheese, spread on tostadas, suppers would be pasta with kale that was sauteed in the olive oil spray with a little tomato sauce for extra flavor. I would also have the option of peanut butter or grilled cheese sandwiches.

I might swap the cookies for salt and the almond milk for another seasoning like onion powder.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I am cheating and spending $32.18

Bran flakes $2.48
Soy milk. 2.99
1/2 dozen eggs. 1.60
Whole wheat bread. 2.39
Salad mix. 4.99
Sliced cheese. 3.50
3 pounds chicken thighs @2.19/pound. 6.60
2 bags Frozen Veggies. 2.80
Salt. .55 ( I have not bought salt in ages but like Patty I can’t eat eggs without salt)
3 pounds Fuji apples. 4.28

To get it below $25, I’d have to give up the apples and substitute lower-cost salad items. I put $4.99 for the bagged salad but almost never buy it unless it is B1G1.

These are Publix prices except for the apples which are from Walmart. I still have not been to Aldi but everything would be a bit cheaper there. Florida does not tax groceries.

I don’t drink coffee. I do drink tea in the winter but can do without it. I’m a water girl.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I wish OK didn't tax groceries. Having another 9-10% added at the till is a pain.

I've lived in 4 cities in OK and the lowest % of tax I've ever paid on groceries was 8.3714% almost 25 years ago, that area has gone up since.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:14 pm I am cheating and spending $32.18

Bran flakes $2.48
Soy milk. 2.99
1/2 dozen eggs. 1.60
Whole wheat bread. 2.39
Salad mix. 4.99
Sliced cheese. 3.50
3 pounds chicken thighs @2.19/pound. 6.60
2 bags Frozen Veggies. 2.80
Salt. .55 ( I have not bought salt in ages but like Patty I can’t eat eggs without salt)
3 pounds Fuji apples. 4.28

To get it below $25, I’d have to give up the apples and substitute lower-cost salad items. I put $4.99 for the bagged salad but almost never buy it unless it is B1G1.

These are Publix prices except for the apples which are from Walmart. I still have not been to Aldi but everything would be a bit cheaper there. Florida does not tax groceries.

I don’t drink coffee. I do drink tea in the winter but can do without it. I’m a water girl.
Floridacat, I also buy the pricier bagged salads but always look for a BOGO or sale. They are great for my work lunches and if I have another side, like cottage cheese, I can get 2 lunches out of one bag of salad.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I do buy the pricier bagged salads. also there are a few items I must have organic or otherly priced. I buy happy eggs, as an example which are in the four dollar plus range and eat real protein for every meal, so the substitutes I see here regarding oatmeal and yogort for breakfast would not do for me. I eat three veg and three fruits daily, I have to limit my bean intake and I don't eat rice or pasta or rarely potatoes.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

chocolite wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:02 pm Okay I'll give it a shot. Around here, I'd go to Aldi. It has the best prices overall. These meals will be boring and mostly unhealthy, but at least we’d eat. Here's the list I would get, along with current prices from their website:

10-lb bag of chicken quarters: $5.50. It should provide about 8 quarters, which would make at least 4 meals.
1 dozen large eggs: $3.15. Two eggs per person for 6 breakfasts. (No coffee with breakfast – it’s too expensive.)
Imperial fake butter: $1.35. Yuck, but butter is out of the question (to cook eggs in).
Iodized salt: $.55. I cannot abide eggs, chicken, pasta, or beans without salt.
Two loaves of white bread: $2.10. Toast for breakfast, with plenty left over to make sandwiches and have with dinner.
18-oz jar peanut butter: $1.89. Sandwich lunches.
32-oz box of spaghetti: $1.59. Budgeting 2-3 oz/per person at a meal, this would provide enough for several meals/side dishes. This could be served plain with “butter” or with the crushed tomatoes as a sauce.
28-oz can crushed tomatoes: $1.09
32-oz bag of Great Northern Beans: $1.89. This will provide several lunches and/or dinners. By adding salt, they would be okay.

I almost stopped there, but by my calculations I’d have .89 left. So I’d grab a 7 oz package of Goya Maria cookies for .75. Total of 35 cookies in the pkg, so treats or dessert for several days.

If I had to include tax (4% in TN), that would be .79, which would put me over budget. So I’d leave off the cookies.
Patty, for sure real butter would be out of the question. I bought some for the first time in eons today (I'm making cinnamon rolls for someone and they have to be good) and paid $3.59 - yikes!

Charles M. Schultz