Daily Check-in May 18, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in May 18, 2022

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

I’m home from the dentist. One more thing off the list. I thought I might have to have a filing but luckily she said no. Last time she said she was watching one bottom tooth but today she said I might never need a filing if I keep cleaning well.

The shopping center across the street from the dentist is being renovated. Most of the stores look gutted, down to the basic structure. I have fond memories of a fabric store there. It later turned more into a quilting store but in the end couldn’t make it. I’m glad that the center is being renovated and not torn down. Dental receptionist said the center is hoping to add more restaurants. People say they are struggling but still frequent restaurants. Crazy.

Have a good day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

chocolite wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:31 am Good morning, frugal friends. It’s a quiet, overcast day. It looks like rain. Neither of us will leave the house, though, so it’s fine. I slept okay last night but was wide awake at 5am, so I got up. I just don’t require the sleep that I used to.

Today is my DH’s birthday. I went for convenience this year – got a beautifully decorated chocolate cake from a bakery (we had it before at our neighbor’s and he loved it) and I will order in dinner tonight from wherever he wants. I miss doing all that myself, but if I’m just not able to.

I did get out and about yesterday. I went into the pharmacy and picked up our prescriptions. Then I went to the bakery to pick up the cake. Saturday we are doing DH’s birthday lunch with some of his family and our next-door neighbor.

I was so happy to see that Madison Cawthorn lost his North Carolina congressional seat. When you look up TRAINWRECK in the dictionary, his picture is there. :-D

I am continuing to sort and purge in my closet, while switching out summer/winter clothes. I do a little most days, but I am really slow…which is okay. I used to be so fast and efficient, lol.
Happy Birthday to your DH 🎉

I’m glad that Madison Cawthorn lost, too. I’m sure that Fox News will welcome him with open arms. The GOP candidate for Pennsylvania Governor sounds awful. Depressing.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:02 pm Happy Birthday to your DH 🎉

I’m glad that Madison Cawthorn lost, too. I’m sure that Fox News will welcome him with open arms. The GOP candidate for Pennsylvania Governor sounds awful. Depressing.
He didn't last very long
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Patty, happy birthday to your DH. The birthday cake sounds wonderful.

FloridaCat, even in the Great Recession, people kept eating out. It was only in towns like the one we were living in, where almost the only employer was the carpet industry, that people stopped buying fast food or eating out. The carpet industry was brought to near standstill by the Great Recession, and almost the entire workforce of the whole town was laid off. So people didn't spend money on anything.

What was very strange about those days was how clean the sides of the roads were. There was no food trash because people weren't buying fast food, and thus not throwing bags and wrappers out their car windows. There were no soda or beer cans lying around either, because people were so desperate for money that they were out picking up cans to sell to the recycler.

It's been a quiet afternoon. I've been texting back and forth with my best friends from college today. We're getting together tomorrow night -- will be a long drive for us as they both live in Georgia -- and are going to play trivia at a deli. And probably get stomped because our brains are old. :-D

Both of my other buildings were in good shape when I checked on them this morning. I was happy to see that the oldest one is already being cleaned. It's actually the easiest one to take care of -- all hard smooth floors -- but it always got put off until the last minute in previous years, with very bad results. So I am very pleased that the floors are already being waxed and the hallways smell fresh.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:45 am I ordered a couple of these - Quik Chair. Supposed to hold up to 500 pounds.

I was tired of sitting and busting out of the chairs I would get at the General Dollar store!

https://www.amazon.com/Quik-Chair-Heavy-Folding-Extra/dp/B005GYUSHK
Clem,

That's a REALLY great chair!! The price is right too when I consider all the chairs I see left, dead, by the garbage cans after outdoor concerts. I have one I use that has a Winnipeg Jets Logo on it but I think it is on its last legs. This may be my summer doggo money purchase. It said it wasn't available on USA Amazon but you can buy it on CANADIAN Amazon.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I had one of those nasty nights of getting up at 2:30, 4:00, 5:15, 6 am and finally fell asleep for a little bit again at 8 until 9. I got out of bed a couple of those times to come into the living room and sit on the massage pad that is in my chair. That seemed to take the anxiety of whatever I was dreaming about down. So weird, I kept waking up hoping it was later and almost time to get out of bed and yet? NOPE!
I did a load of clothes today and hung them to dry in the living room over the couch. It was the outfit I was wearing yesterday so technically, aside from what I am wearing today, there is no laundry to be done at my house. Yippee!!

Charlee's Mum contacted me last night. I am meeting up with them at 7 pm to learn about Charlee's food, night time routine and the like. Also to find out where I'll be sleeping.

After being at the cardiologists yesterday, I didn't stop by the grocery store so will be doing that after I meet up with Charlee's pawrents. I suppose I could go out this afternoon but I am trying to make trips all at once to save on gas. We are currently at $1.88/liter. It was only in about February it was "only" $134/liter!

I ran the dishwasher and will unload that this afternoon. I still haven't had lunch! I can't decide what to have! As usual, I'll find something. Maybe like Clem, I will throw together some eggs, maybe into an omelette.

My shoulder is really hurting today. I've booted the Doctors' advice on taking Naproxen. It didn't do a thing for me. I'm being very judicious about the use of Tylenol though. Only as needed and at bed time.

Well, time to go find lunch.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.