Daily Check in May 19, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in May 19, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

DS has a second interview today. He texted me yesterday.

Tonight DGS5 has a baseball game if it is not rained out.

Are weather is heating up again. So the AC is back on.

Not much else to report.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in May 19, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I really did not sleep at all well last night. Tossed and turned to begin the process and ended up turning on the light twice to read a bit more. I just have an odd anticipatory feeling (and the feeling is one of slight dread, nothing really concrete as of yet). Perhaps my feelings over this round of what good be high inflation is what is causing the problem.

It could also be the rather lousy weather we are getting. The rain has started and while right now it is just a bit of a drizzle, it is colder than I would like, and the light rain is forecast to get much harder and later tonight turn to snow flurries. Those will persist into the early morning and perhaps even Friday night. Not really the lovely spring weather leading into summer that is wished for.

I quite dread going shopping and seeing how much prices have gone up. The shock is bad enough when reading the flyers and realizing the new sale price on some items are in fact the old regular price. Quite disheartening for all of us I am sure, but especially for those who are just beginning their home ownership journey or travel any distance for work. :(

Hubby made a joke about someone asking for 2X4's for their birthday and I answered by saying perhaps that is what we should buy youngest as a gift... Wood is darn expensive up here right now and very hard to get.

I go shopping today and hopefully will be in and out quickly. I also need to drop off a test at the hospital lab at some point today. That is something I don't often do.

Frugally I will be sticking to my list and will have to fill with fuel at what may as well be gas at $1.88 a liter. The highest it has been in years. It will feel like filling my car with the best cuts of meat, that's for sure.

There will also be more traffic in town, and more people shopping.... We are hosting the Centennial Cup which is the Canadian tournament for Junior hockey. Meaning even more people here who could be carrying the virus with them. Masking up will not be a problem for me today.

Once home I do not plan on leaving it again. Sticking here, doing some baking in case youngest actually makes it home, and working on projects.

Seems like my days just stay the same and never really change.

Today I am grateful that we can afford all we need and many of our wants.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

I’m going to lunch with friends today. My friend who usually drives is on her cruise so I’ll drive myself. It is a congested area but there is a free parking lot. I’m glad that I won’t have to park in a garage.

If I can motivate myself after lunch, I’ll go to mom’s house and do something. I have 2/3 of a bag of yard clippings already so should be able to fill it pretty easily. I have plans tomorrow and Saturday so today is the best day to go to mom’s house.

Have a good day.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Starting out as a rainy day, but it's supposed to clear up later. Forecast for the weekend is in the low 90s and then back down about 30 or so degrees for Monday.

Slept on and off last night. Woke up somewhere between 2:30 and 3:00, laid in bed until about 3:15 and then got up. I might have dozed a few minutes prior to that. Chores are done and I've already read the paper, exercised and perused the grocery ads, both online and in the paper that came this morning. I want to review my menus for the balance of the month and see if I can keep spending down to $10 or less, although I still have $40 before reaching my forecasted budget.

Had sent an email to a group called Friends of the Library to see when they will be accepting donations for their semi-annual book sales about a month ago. Found a note in my email telling me that they were starting to collect again as of yesterday. I will call the library to confirm and have pulled together almost another 2 dozen books to donate.

I'm really pleased with myself as I think I've done a pretty good job since starting to get rid of stuff prior to my sister's arrival. I did find that I missed two things, one a swivel shoe stand . . . I love it but there's not enough space between the second and third wheels. Every time I went to turn the second wheel to pull shoes off, 2 would fall off (not of the same shoe LOL) and a pair of jeans that now are too big. I also cleaned out my pot closet a few days ago and can't believe how much easier it is to get things in and out of it . . . why I hadn't done it sooner I don't know.

Today is a special Zoom Bingo game. When they ended them a few months ago, the woman who organized them said they would hold special ones once in a while and today happens to be one of those days. I've had my Alexa set up an alarm for the game start.

Not sure what I'm having for dinner tonight although it will probably be the Omelet I didn't have the other day. I had a Hot Pocket instead.

Well that's it for now. Have a wonderful day.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Thu May 19, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

It will feel like filling my car with the best cuts of meat, that's for sure.

Jackie, that is a really sobering and perceptive way to think about gassing up one's vehicle. I did not buy any fresh meat the last two times we went grocery shopping because, yep, everything was around the price of a gallon of gas per pound. We still have some chicken and ground pork in the freezer, so I can get creative with that.

I've eaten nearly-vegan all week, having just a little feta cheese in my lunch of beans and grains. It does save money, but it's not really possible to get the men folks in the house to eat that way.

I did not get to the grocery store on the way home yesterday, which was just as well because we got by fine without what I was planning to buy.

My tea cup is empty, so it's back to work. Hope you all have a lovely day.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

The so called simple switch from TracFone to Verizon is not going well. I did everything I was told to do last night. I was on the phone about 2 hours last night. I have been on the phone with SafeLink this morning for more than 30 minutes and am still on the phone.

My clean laundry was returned this morning.

Looks like very little except the phone switch will be happening today.

I am very glad I have the little trays from the larger Tupperware containers. I have one with just the transfer information and new SIM card.

This is not interfering with my internet access at least.

Penny