Daily Check in May 19, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Daily Check in May 19, 2022

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I really did not sleep at all well last night. Tossed and turned to begin the process and ended up turning on the light twice to read a bit more. I just have an odd anticipatory feeling (and the feeling is one of slight dread, nothing really concrete as of yet). Perhaps my feelings over this round of what good be high inflation is what is causing the problem.

It could also be the rather lousy weather we are getting. The rain has started and while right now it is just a bit of a drizzle, it is colder than I would like, and the light rain is forecast to get much harder and later tonight turn to snow flurries. Those will persist into the early morning and perhaps even Friday night. Not really the lovely spring weather leading into summer that is wished for.

I quite dread going shopping and seeing how much prices have gone up. The shock is bad enough when reading the flyers and realizing the new sale price on some items are in fact the old regular price. Quite disheartening for all of us I am sure, but especially for those who are just beginning their home ownership journey or travel any distance for work. :(

Hubby made a joke about someone asking for 2X4's for their birthday and I answered by saying perhaps that is what we should buy youngest as a gift... Wood is darn expensive up here right now and very hard to get.

I go shopping today and hopefully will be in and out quickly. I also need to drop off a test at the hospital lab at some point today. That is something I don't often do.

Frugally I will be sticking to my list and will have to fill with fuel at what may as well be gas at $1.88 a liter. The highest it has been in years. It will feel like filling my car with the best cuts of meat, that's for sure.

There will also be more traffic in town, and more people shopping.... We are hosting the Centennial Cup which is the Canadian tournament for Junior hockey. Meaning even more people here who could be carrying the virus with them. Masking up will not be a problem for me today.

Once home I do not plan on leaving it again. Sticking here, doing some baking in case youngest actually makes it home, and working on projects.

Seems like my days just stay the same and never really change.

Today I am grateful that we can afford all we need and many of our wants.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
While the fuel prices here are not as bad as what you're experiencing, it still shocks for me when I need to fill my car's tank. We are the most expensive in Utah, which irritates me as my area is the oil/gas fields too. I bought gasoline for my car last Friday at $4.79/gallon after my $0.30 fuel coupon (that is what 18 eggs cost at my favorite shop), and diesel fuel is $6.29/gallon. These are the highest prices that I've Ever Seen..
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Jackielou wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I really did not sleep at all well last night. Tossed and turned to begin the process and ended up turning on the light twice to read a bit more. I just have an odd anticipatory feeling (and the feeling is one of slight dread, nothing really concrete as of yet). Perhaps my feelings over this round of what good be high inflation is what is causing the problem.

It could also be the rather lousy weather we are getting. The rain has started and while right now it is just a bit of a drizzle, it is colder than I would like, and the light rain is forecast to get much harder and later tonight turn to snow flurries. Those will persist into the early morning and perhaps even Friday night. Not really the lovely spring weather leading into summer that is wished for.

I quite dread going shopping and seeing how much prices have gone up. The shock is bad enough when reading the flyers and realizing the new sale price on some items are in fact the old regular price. Quite disheartening for all of us I am sure, but especially for those who are just beginning their home ownership journey or travel any distance for work. :(

Hubby made a joke about someone asking for 2X4's for their birthday and I answered by saying perhaps that is what we should buy youngest as a gift... Wood is darn expensive up here right now and very hard to get.

I go shopping today and hopefully will be in and out quickly. I also need to drop off a test at the hospital lab at some point today. That is something I don't often do.

Frugally I will be sticking to my list and will have to fill with fuel at what may as well be gas at $1.88 a liter. The highest it has been in years. It will feel like filling my car with the best cuts of meat, that's for sure.

There will also be more traffic in town, and more people shopping.... We are hosting the Centennial Cup which is the Canadian tournament for Junior hockey. Meaning even more people here who could be carrying the virus with them. Masking up will not be a problem for me today.

Once home I do not plan on leaving it again. Sticking here, doing some baking in case youngest actually makes it home, and working on projects.

Seems like my days just stay the same and never really change.

Today I am grateful that we can afford all we need and many of our wants.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Hi Jackie,

I do think it would be prudent to stock up on some vegetable oil, especially if you use sunflower oil. With Ukraine being a leading producer of sunflowers, it’s not surprising. I couldn’t order any sunflower seeds on my Walmart pickup either.

If it makes you feel any better, we are paying 2.07/litre for gasoline.

Creative
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:50 am Hello friends.

I’m going to lunch with friends today. My friend who usually drives is on her cruise so I’ll drive myself. It is a congested area but there is a free parking lot. I’m glad that I won’t have to park in a garage.

If I can motivate myself after lunch, I’ll go to mom’s house and do something. I have 2/3 of a bag of yard clippings already so should be able to fill it pretty easily. I have plans tomorrow and Saturday so today is the best day to go to mom’s house.

Have a good day.
I don’t like those parking garages either. And I sure don’t like driving in congested traffic, especially on the freeways. It’s great to be going out with friends though. I hope you had a great time!

Creative
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:16 am Bonne matin toute le monde!!

I was up early. I didn't set the alarm or anything, just woke-up about 6:30 am. I knew Charlee's pawrents were leaving for Thunder Bay, Ontario at about 6 am. So I figured since I was up early, I'd watch a bit of news, have breakfast and leave around 8 am. Which I did.

On my way over, I thought I'd stop and get the "senior" coffee at McDonald's. Well, that was a good idea. BUT I hit a pothole and the cup fell out of the cup holder and spilled all over the carpet in Zoe's van. UGH! I'll have to find someone with one of those little "Green Machines" to clean it out. And so, that was a gingy way to start without my coffee!

I got to Charlee's and she stays in her crate when they aren't in the house. I let her out and she was all full of kisses and wanting belly rubs. This is the little girl who wouldn't even look at me last week. LOL We are going to have a good weekend. She is settled into her chair in the front room watching the world go by through the big front windows. I am around the corner in the family room watching the news.

I have to go out at sometime today. I forgot my mouse at home. While I can operate my laptop without my mouse, there are cut and pastes I can't do without it.

Jackie, I am sorry you had such a lousy sleep last night. I know that anticipartory anxiety feeling and it is awful. I hope that goes away. Maybe once DS2 lets you know he is still arriving you will feel better. We, too, are to get rain today and it is dreary outside. I'll hope you and I get some sun this weekend to spread some sunny cheer.

I brought over some hot cross buns and croissants for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch and sandwich fixin's for my suppers. I'm all set for the weekend and Charlee's parents insisted on leaving some snacks. I'm all set without having to do much more. Just to go home and get my computer mouse.

I hope everyone can make it through this "Friday Eve." Have a good day everyone and for those ailing, I hope things turn around and you feel better quickly.

Mackie,
You mentioned your Quinao/Feta Salad. Does it have a recipe or is it a "do it yourself" recipe? If you do have a recipe, sounds good and if you have time, could you post it for us? I'd like to try that Quinao but haven't heard of a recipe that intrigued me! Thanks!

Well, that's the skinny from Charlee's house!!

MJ
MJ I posted a couple of quinoa recipes. The slow cooker one makes a huge amount even for our family so you could easily half it. I like to eat it hot or cold.

Creative
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon/evening beautiful people,

Late check in for me today! Just been busy!

This morning I went for a walk with a neighbour friend and we did our Shoppers Drug Mart run. I was able to get all the sale items I wanted, great considering it’s the last day of the sale.

We kept running into people we knew, so it was fun to socialize as well as exercise.

In the afternoon I went (drove) to a health food store to pick up Dh’s specialty vitamins. I also went to the library to pick up my library card I forgot from the scanning machine the day before. Blessings to the honest person who turned it into the circulation desk and I was thankful for the librarian who called me at home to let me know.

I did two loads of laundry today and that was about it!

Creative.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

itspennyc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 am The so called simple switch from TracFone to Verizon is not going well. I did everything I was told to do last night. I was on the phone about 2 hours last night. I have been on the phone with SafeLink this morning for more than 30 minutes and am still on the phone.

My clean laundry was returned this morning.

Looks like very little except the phone switch will be happening today.

I am very glad I have the little trays from the larger Tupperware containers. I have one with just the transfer information and new SIM card.

This is not interfering with my internet access at least.

Penny
Penny, I hope that by now, end of the day, you have the Tracfone-Verizon transfer completed.

I also switched from Tracfone to Verizon back in 2018 and had trouble. Verizon kept asking for my Tracfone PIN number in order to port my phone number. But Tracfone doesn’t (or didn’t back then) use PIN numbers. Finally the Verizon guy said to try just using a random Pin - like 1234 - and it worked.