Small, Practical Ways to Save

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Small, Practical Ways to Save

Post by floridacatlover »

We all talk about the higher cost of living now. What small changes have you made to cut costs.

I’ll start.
When I know I’ll be out of the house for several hours, I try to remember to turn my a/c up to 80 F. from the 77 F. or 78 F. where I keep it set when I’m home. Sometimes I forget to change the setting but more and more, I remember. Sometimes when I get home I’m still comfortable so I don’t turn it back lower until I’m uncomfortable.

When I go out to eat, I tip well but I don’t over tip. One of my friends tips way too much IMO. I generally pay cash when I eat out. I try to have $1s so I can better judge the bill.

I limit my streaming services. Yes it might only be an extra $4.99 or $9.99 (in the case of Netflix) but how much do I really watch. And I use the library for dvds when I can. I haven’t had Netflix in many months but I’m going to sign up for one month for my trip and then stop it when I get home.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Thu May 19, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quilter51

Re: Small, Practical Ways to Save

Post by Quilter51 »

Well, I don't know if they are all small and practical, but I have made some life/shopping changes since the new year. I suppose some of these also fall on my "be more sustainable" plan for the year.

I do have Netflix and Prime, however I watch alot of foreign stuff and used to have Acorn and Britbox and about ten others. Now I subscribe to one at a time and watch everything it has and let it go. right now I have nothing.

I've become fully agressive about the library (both digital and real paper books because i cut down screen time alot) instead of my previous deal of pre-ording on Amazon. If I buy a new (to me book) I get it at my small town local book shop or my small town used bookshop.

I keep my air pretty warm so don't adjust it as such but have become much better about lights and other usage since I am all electrical.

When I eat out I order what I want but I am trying to be more cognizant of bringing home the leftovers. Also I cook more and freeze because I have some serious energy and fibro issues and this way I avoid last mintue temptation

I am vising thrift stores and taking advantage of the online used market more and more. I
very happy with the things I got from poshmark and reinded yself today that if I can't find matching picture frames, then I can go to the thrift store and paint so they match.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I have been bleeding $$, it feels like. I need to rein things in. Grad gifts, DDIL's birthday and Mother's day were pricy.

I have been more judicious about some of my socialization. The group has gone to eat at a Golf Course on a Friday night. Not worth the 25-30 mile drive to me. Now once the free concerts start up, it will be worth it.

I am home most of the time, so I have been trying to shutoff the AC and turn on the fans. But I don't sleep well when it is hot. But it does mean that i eat form home most of the time.

I think that is most of what I have been doing. I have been more focused on eating for weight loss and blood sugar than cost. Of course I am not on a fixed income like a lot of you.

Maggie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Because we have our little dogs, one of whom has a bad heart, I try not to let the house get too hot. But we keep the blinds closed on the sunny side of the house in the summer and open in the winter.

Rather than to heat up the kitchen by using our gas range, I use the rice cooker, which can cook any kind of grain, the crock pot, and air fryer a lot in the summer. I think right now it's been two weeks since anyone used the range.

So that I am not ever tempted to pick up a fast food breakfast and coffee on the way to work, I prepare my breakfasts just like my brown bag lunches. It takes only a few minutes to make a pan of baked oatmeal or some muffins, or portion out cereal in individual containers.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:21 pm Because we have our little dogs, one of whom has a bad heart, I try not to let the house get too hot. But we keep the blinds closed on the sunny side of the house in the summer and open in the winter.

Rather than to heat up the kitchen by using our gas range, I use the rice cooker, which can cook any kind of grain, the crock pot, and air fryer a lot in the summer. I think right now it's been two weeks since anyone used the range.

So that I am not ever tempted to pick up a fast food breakfast and coffee on the way to work, I prepare my breakfasts just like my brown bag lunches. It takes only a few minutes to make a pan of baked oatmeal or some muffins, or portion out cereal in individual containers.
oh yea them pups. These here would all have basically been street dogs if I had not taken them in. OMG - how would they have survived - lol. They go out and are ready to come back inside with the AC after 15 minutes. I stay outside longer than they do!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The library can be a money saver

Our oldest brother went almost daily to get a book - he was always reading.

Then we told another brother about getting a library card. He was always buying books to read.

He was so happy he discovered the library. No more boxes and boxes of books he had to find new homes for. No more spending either.

And he lives in the city and they have libraries all over.