Introducing Elsi

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
elsi

Introducing Elsi

Post by elsi »

Hello everyone. I'm Elsi. My husband and I are empty nesters with three grown children who live within an hour of our home in Texas. He's retired and I just keep refusing to retire because I really like my job.

Once upon a time I participated in a forum on the Dollar Stretcher site. but it's been gone for a long time. Now I participate in a couple of frugal groups on Facebook, and I'm looking forward to getting to know people on this forum.

I've heard it said that frugal means different things to different people and that has been my experience. Here are some things that frugal means to me:
* Save. Put some money into savings as much as you can. Having money in savings means you won't be wiped out when there's an emergency or something breaks down.
* Spend less. Look for bargains and sales. Buy the less expensive item. Use the library rather than buying books or renting videos.
* Don't borrow. Make payments to yourself before you buy the big item (car, refrigerator, big screen TV) rather than borrowing the money and making payments afterward.
* Do it yourself. Eat at home. Make your own clothes. Wash your car. Mow your grass.
* Take care of what you own. Keep it clean. Repair when needed.
* Have a few luxuries. But make sure it's something that you really want. An occasional splurge is healthy as long as it doesn't mean you can't pay for the essentials.
* Be charitable. In times when you have more than enough, share with those who are needy. Contribute to the food pantry. Donate to your church or local charity. Volunteer.

One way in which we save is to participate in a local produce co-operative buying group. At the beginning of the week, everyone who wants to participate contributes $21 to the buying fund. On Thursday, the coordinators place a bulk order with a wholesaler who delivers the order on Saturday morning. Typically, there is quite a lot of variety with 5-6 different vegetables and 5-6 different fruits. Volunteers meet the truck and divide the produce up for that week's participants. Everyone else shows up for pick-up which is scheduled for about 1 hour after the truck is due. Comparing what we received to in-store prices, I see that we regularly get about $30 worth of fruits & veggies for the $21 that I paid in. I do my meal planning and create a grocery list on Saturday afternoon -- making plans to use various fruits and veggies before they spoil and also noting any shortcomings (like onions or salad greens) that I might need to pick up at the grocery store.

I'm not sure what else to share. I'll jump in the various topics and contribute where I can.
Elsi in Texas
jstore97

Re: Introducing Elsi

Post by jstore97 »

Welcome! I mostly lurk but I appreciate all the advice and ideas shared here.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Welcome Elsi,

I am Maggie. I am in my mid-50s, have been divorced for almost 5 years due to a difference in vision of what our empty-nester years should look like. I have 2 grown son's DS1 has 2 boys, 8 & 5. He and my lovely DIL live about 30 minutes form me. DS2 just graduated college in music and is now applying for any job he can. I have always worked in IT. I have about a dozen more years until I am eligible for retirement. I hope I make it that long. Being an older, high earner, I feel like I have a target on my back. While my 401(k) is ok, I am working to build other types of savings.

I live in SW Ohio, USA.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Welcome, Elsi!
Patty
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Welcome, Elsi! I't is nice to meet you and hear about your frugal techniques. I am also an empty nester, or I was until my daughter moved in a year and a half ago. She has her own space and for the most part I enjoy the company. I always said "NEVER" to the question of whether I would allow adult children to move in - then there was a pandemic...ugh.

You will likely learn through reading my posts that I am beyond frugal - I am downright cheap - and I don't apologize for it. Anyway, it's nice to see a new frugal friend here. Hope you will post often and maybe join some of our challenges. .
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am one of three Canadians on the forum and the one that probably lives the closest to the US border.

I think you are going to fit in wonderfully. We love having new members join us.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/