Daily Check in May 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in May 21, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Cake is iced, bun dough working in the machine. I really wish my wrists were still strong enough to knead it myself. I do have the butter softening to eventually make the cookies.

Next pulling out the rocker cushions to finish. Hopefully we will be able to get the old lawn mower loaded up in DS's vehicle to see how much room he has for pots and then we will go through the extra ones that I have and get them cleaned and dried out.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Jackielou wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:09 am I am making a list of all the streaming channels and this is a new one to me. I am adding it to the list.
I hope it's a free channel and available to you in Canada. I think it sort of took the place of IMD, which I used to watch.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:34 am The seminar yesterday on Social Connection and Brain Health was interesting. Isolation is being considered as one of today's health issues. The doctor who spoke on its effects said that isolation and loneliness pose (1) an increased risk of heart disease (29%) and strokes (32%); (2) a 25% increase in cancer mortality, (3) a 49% higher risk for dementia after ten years of isolation; (4) as deadly as smoking 15 cigarettes a day, (5) 2 times more deadly than obesity and (6) 10 times more likely to attribute to suicidal thoughts and attempts.

He also said that despite our "globalized world", isolation has grown from approximately 11% in the 1970s to approximately 61% today with 18-22 year olds possibly being the loneliest. The second presenter then went on to give a list of things one can do to prevent this feeling of isolation.
That is some interesting (and scary) information on isolation. I believe it. Even though DH works from home, he's not a talker so some days I barely speak to anyone. I do talk to my sister on the phone several times a week. She's a big talker, so I sit and listen, lol.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DH and I have been to the food bank drop-off bins, the post office, the grocery store and the pharmacy. We spent a small fortune at the pharmacy getting my thyroid prescriptions filled and buying gift cards for DS's birthday on the 29th.

The grocery store finally had corned beef, at $40 each. (Makes horrified face.) This was the same size I used to pay $11 for. It stayed in the store: beef is just too expensive now. I bought an organic whole chicken for $9.00 and two packs of mild Italian sausages for $3.69 each, which put me slightly over budget for fresh meat, but we had not bought any in two weeks.

We stocked up on pasta, grains, juices, beans and nuts. Cantaloupe was on sale, so I bought a nice one to have with some cottage cheese on the side. That makes a light supper dish on a hot day.

I am in the midst of doing my laundry and need to whip up some homemade freezer meals for my lunches next week. Chicken-blackbean-veggie chili is sounding good.

It is looking like rain here. Hope you all have a great day.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

Day three with Charlee and all is well. I think she has decided I am right okay. Last night she even asked to crawl under the covers! She's quite comfortable now with sitting in the chair next to me and having her snooze when she isn't scouting out the window for rabbits, birds or kids!

I had to close the front window blinds yesterday. The next door neighbor's lawn crew was over and Charlee had A LOT of advice to provide for them. I wish I spoke dog! She was very adamant that they should hear and listen to her! She played me once faking me out that she had to go potty when it was merely to go out and give hell ot the neighbors' workers! LOL Later on, when she tried it again, I knew she'd been out for potty less than half an hour prior so she wasn't skunking me again. :mrgreen: I may have her now realizing that yes, I am the babysitter but no pushover! LOL She gets enough of her carrot treats so she should be pretty happy with that!

We have gotten up early both days but not 5 am today, 7 am and for me? That is always early! We got up, did out thing and watched the news. Then about lunch time both of us went and had a nap on the big bed. All set for the rest of the day.

I am going home for a quick shower. I may actually make one of my Delissio Pizzas while I am there. Or maybe some potatoes, green pepper and onions with corned beef. I'll see where I get to when I get home. The pizza would be easy as I could pre-heat the oven while in the shower.

We did have snow here yesterday. It was around 8:30 am when the kids were going to school. Charlee and I were in and watching the news by that point. It was melted by about 10:30 am. It is still very cool/cold out. Depends on how high the wind is going to be for the day or hour!

I am hanging out with Charlee until 4 pm and them going to head home briefly.

That's the skinny from over at Charlee's house!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:01 pm DH and I have been to the food bank drop-off bins, the post office, the grocery store and the pharmacy. We spent a small fortune at the pharmacy getting my thyroid prescriptions filled and buying gift cards for DS's birthday on the 29th.

The grocery store finally had corned beef, at $40 each. (Makes horrified face.) This was the same size I used to pay $11 for. It stayed in the store: beef is just too expensive now. I bought an organic whole chicken for $9.00 and two packs of mild Italian sausages for $3.69 each, which put me slightly over budget for fresh meat, but we had not bought any in two weeks.

We stocked up on pasta, grains, juices, beans and nuts. Cantaloupe was on sale, so I bought a nice one to have with some cottage cheese on the side. That makes a light supper dish on a hot day.

I am in the midst of doing my laundry and need to whip up some homemade freezer meals for my lunches next week. Chicken-blackbean-veggie chili is sounding good.

It is looking like rain here. Hope you all have a great day.
Mackie I take Synthroid as my thyroid medication and the cost in Canada for the actual medication is $10.66 with dispensing fee of $8.83. This is for a 90 day supply, the maximum a pharmacy can dispense at a time. ( to prevent misuse of prescription medication). This is the amount a person without any extended health care coverage would pay. Because I am 65 plus, my Ontario Drug Benefits kicks in and I only have to pay $4.00 out of pocket.

My cancer medication Letrozole would cost a total of $142.77 for 90 days supply. But again with Ontario Drug Benefits I only pay $4.00 for 90 days.

I am convinced that the cost of the same medication in the U.S. is much, much more than in Canada.

Canadian TV broadcasting does not allow any advertising for prescription medication. When you watch NBC news, especially the second half of the programming, you almost see more minutes of prescription drug broadcasting than the actual news. It makes me wonder how unbiased some of the health news is when they are receiving all this money for advertising.

Creative