Daily Check in May 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in May 21, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

chocolite wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:21 am Good morning, Maggie, Sheila, and all --

It's been a nice quiet morning. I've done all my word games - solved them all, so maybe that means I'll have an extra good day, lol. We have DH's luncheon later. I'm looking forward to seeing his sisters and aunt/uncle. It's supposed to rain at some point, but I hope it holds off until we're back home.

I made my chicken and rice casserole yesterday. I deboned and chopped the chicken early in the day, then mid-afternoon all I had to do was assemble the casserole and bake. Like Quilter, I do much better if I can do the bulk of my cooking early in the day, because I often am not up to it later.

I started watching the Bosch remake on FreeVe last night. I love it. I'd forgotten how much I loved that show. They've brought back all the main characters.

Hope you all have a great Saturday.
I am making a list of all the streaming channels and this is a new one to me. I am adding it to the list.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

casadekitty wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:28 am Hello Maggie and all,

I am up way too early for me. Lots of thunder and rain this morning. It woke the dogs up who in turn woke me up. I will probably need a nap later today as I am already tired. I didn't sleep well last night.
Maggie I hope your DS2 finds the job for him. It is so hard when they are first starting out. One of my step-grandsons ( former now I guess?) graduated with a degree in theater lighting and management and can't find a job in his field anywhere. He ended up getting his pilots license and is working at the local municipal airport. He was looking for a job in his field when the pandemic struck and of course everything was shut down.
I am just sitting here in the morning quiet drinking coffee and trying to figure out what my day will look like because of the weather. Thank goodness the SiL mowed my yard yesterday. I am so thankful he loves to mow and has a big zero turn mower. He also mows at the other house and it is amazing how fast and well it gets done. I have mentioned before how much I dislike mowing.
He is also sorting and pitching in the garage at dads old house. I pointed out what I wanted kept and he is dealing with the rest. I don't know what to keep and he does.
I was very impressed that he hung dads motorcycle banners in the garage. My dad rode his restored vintage bikes until he was 87 years old and then sold them because he knew it was time for him to quit riding and others would appreciate the workmanship.
I need to do floors today and 1 load of laundry.... there will not be any using the outside lines today :(
I have acquired? adopted DD2's dog :roll: because he is elderly and becoming more neurotic and he does so much better here with me. She works long hours and couldn't give him the attention that he needs. He had started getting her up 2 or 3 times at night to go potty and then would whine at the treat jar .
She should have never started giving treats because thats the only reason he was getting her up at night. He's a glutton for treats and she is a push-over.
Not at my house... I don't give treats and I am not a push-over. He does not get me up and has learned going to potty outside is expected not rewarded. I am a hard-#$! when it comes to animals and treats. In my world you get a treat when I want to give them and not for doing what you are supposed to do. :lol:
It has stopped raining so I better get busy.
JCKitty=casadekitty
It is overcast here today, but at least it isn't snowing or raining right now. That is kind of you to adopt your DD's old dog.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I was awake around 3 am, but as there was no way I was getting up at that ridiculous hour I moved myself to the couch and a quilt. Managed to get another 3 hours of sleep in. Feel much more with it now. Or at least as with it as I get.

Today I have some baking to do. Cookies and buns I think. Both are fairly easy to make and not too time consuming. I will dress warmly, go for my walk, and get started. The only Saturday tasks I really need to do is sweep the floors, send in the scan for points, and call my brother.

Having those few tasks means I can bake with ease and get at least the cushions finished off and scratched off the project list. I may be able to figure out a cover for the rocker at some point. I will keep looking for waterproofing treatment to spray the fabric with. Hubby says he has lots of tarps and perhaps those would work....They are not the easiest things to work with and I don't know how they would take to being sewn or how well once full of small thread holes they would keep the water out.

As I mentioned yesterday youngest DS is here along with the Grandcat. I have already been hissed at quite loudly. Usually she is pretty good for the first oh couple of days. DS is heading home tomorrow, so our Sunday meal will be had today. It also means that after my walk I will need to put out the plant pots so he can choose what he wishes to take home with him. The rest will be put aside and probably given to him the next time he comes home.

Frugally no money will be spent again today. I will be walking for exercise as usual (only did just over 10k steps yesterday). All meals will be prepared at home with what is on hand.

Supper tonight will be smoked pork along with a salad and potatoes, probably baked.

Off to get my day started on the old homestead.

Today I am grateful that DS came home even if it is just for a short time.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Got up late this morning because I actually had an early start (3:00A). Spent about an hour up and then went back to bed and got up just before 7:00.

I haven't done much yet this morning except for making my bed and washing/styling my hair and watched some videos on You Tube. The weather here today is expected to get into the low 90s and whether or not that happens, we'll have to wait and see.

I want to go through a couple of drawers in my bookcase today and see if I can get rid of some of the stuff in them. It's been slightly easier for me to do this but I still have my moments when I feel like I can't part with things . . . like when I was cleaning out my pot closet, I could get rid of an extra pot, some pot covers, a grater (I have a small hand-held one) and a large colander (my sister gave me 2 of the foldable ones when she was here) but I couldn't get rid of the lettuce crisper and don't know why LOL.

I may or may not have my Saturday morning chat with my friend as she came down with COVID this week, testing positive on Wednesday after attending her grandson's birthday party and his other grandparents testing positive on Sunday. If she doesn't feel up to it she'll give me a short phone call to let me know.

Not sure what else I'll do today but it will of course be basically my same old, same old routine.

The seminar yesterday on Social Connection and Brain Health was interesting. Isolation is being considered as one of today's health issues. The doctor who spoke on its effects said that isolation and loneliness pose (1) an increased risk of heart disease (29%) and strokes (32%); (2) a 25% increase in cancer mortality, (3) a 49% higher risk for dementia after ten years of isolation; (4) as deadly as smoking 15 cigarettes a day, (5) 2 times more deadly than obesity and (6) 10 times more likely to attribute to suicidal thoughts and attempts.

He also said that despite our "globalized world", isolation has grown from approximately 11% in the 1970s to approximately 61% today with 18-22 year olds possibly being the loneliest. The second presenter then went on to give a list of things one can do to prevent this feeling of isolation.

I think I'm going to have steak and veggies tonight.

Well that's all for now. Have a wonderful day.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Jackie,
I have always been curious ... are your buns that you speak of the same as what I call cinnamon rolls? Yeast sweet dough rolled and spread with butter and cinnamon sugar? Baked and glazed? I am always wondering if they can be prepped to the raising stage and then frozen for later baking and using. I have baked and then frozen but to me not the greatest.
For the life of me I cannot seem to get motivated this morning, I think it might be the wet dreary weather, but I will keep trying. :?
I have done laundry but other than drinking coffee and taking care of pets thats about it so far.
I need to get my mermaid seafood salad started. It isn't even difficult just no mo-jo.
JCKitty
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Last night I enlarged and then taped together the pieces of the frog to make a pattern for stuffed Froggy.

I now need to trace the different parts of the Frog. I will be using 4 different fabrics.

I hope they come out cute.

My back feels better but but my knees are about the same. I tried the pillow under my knees, but that made them worse. I will try a different pillow tonight.

I placed an H-E-B order for delivery it is scheduled for between 9 and 10 am this morning.

I got a text that everything is in stock. It is not a huge order, mostly food. Once the food is away I will work on Froggy.

Penny