Daily Check In Ma y 22, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Daily Check In Ma y 22, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, Frugal Friends. I was awakened a bit after 5 by my neighbor who was outside my bedroom window calling for his cat - enough said about that. Dogs have been out, coffee made and back in bed.

My Hope (yellow lab) was SICK yesterday. Friday, while I was at work, she chewed up a throw rug, something she has NEVER done before. Long story short and sparing you nasty details, she ingested a lot of it. Of course the vet was closed for the weekend. When I called to see if they left a number for a vet on call, they did NOT - they said "call Cornell Animal Hospital" if emergency - that is pretty far from here. That said, yes, I would have taken her if she had been in serious distress.

She seems fine now - the rug is out and she is back to her lively, lovely self. I am going to call my vet in the morning to tell them what happened and see if they think I should bring her in, my concern being that some of that rug could still be in there. Poor girl was HUNGRY yesterday after she got feeling better but I didn't give her much to eat till late evening and she is doing great. DD got her some canned pumpkin which she loved. DD used to work at a vet clinic and knows how to safely induce vomiting in a dog, which she was prepared to do but it wasn't necessary. She also helped me evaluate whether or not we needed to go to Cornell - Hope was walking without pain, jumping on and off my bed, breathing was not labored, she was eating (if I had let her), drinking, going outside when she needed to, responding when called, etc. -- she just had a very upset tummy.

Partly due to being upset about Hope not feeling well, I got a ton of stuff done yesterday - I have to keep busy when I'm upset. I repotted plants, wiped down windowsills and baseboards throughout the house, washed blankets, organized/purged cabinets in the bathroom, etc. Just a general freshening up of things and it's so nice to get up this morning and be able to tell the difference.

Today is DD's birthday and it will just be the two of us. I'm making a nice meal (baked ziti, salad, garlic bread, coconut cake) and got her some nice shower gel and lotion from a company that gives a bar of soap to someone in need for every item you purchase - DD only likes to use those kinds of products - organic, gives back, minority/woman owned, etc. I also got her a "s'mores kt" as her and her SO are going "glamping" later this week.

Sorry for the long post. I'm off to get a second cup of coffee. So thankful to be here with my two dogs this morning, with Hope feeling well. Wishing you all a good day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In Ma y 22, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:58 am Good morning, Frugal Friends. I was awakened a bit after 5 by my neighbor who was outside my bedroom window calling for his cat - enough said about that. Dogs have been out, coffee made and back in bed.

My Hope (yellow lab) was SICK yesterday. Friday, while I was at work, she chewed up a throw rug, something she has NEVER done before. Long story short and sparing you nasty details, she ingested a lot of it. Of course the vet was closed for the weekend. When I called to see if they left a number for a vet on call, they did NOT - they said "call Cornell Animal Hospital" if emergency - that is pretty far from here. That said, yes, I would have taken her if she had been in serious distress.

She seems fine now - the rug is out and she is back to her lively, lovely self. I am going to call my vet in the morning to tell them what happened and see if they think I should bring her in, my concern being that some of that rug could still be in there. Poor girl was HUNGRY yesterday after she got feeling better but I didn't give her much to eat till late evening and she is doing great. DD got her some canned pumpkin which she loved. DD used to work at a vet clinic and knows how to safely induce vomiting in a dog, which she was prepared to do but it wasn't necessary. She also helped me evaluate whether or not we needed to go to Cornell - Hope was walking without pain, jumping on and off my bed, breathing was not labored, she was eating (if I had let her), drinking, going outside when she needed to, responding when called, etc. -- she just had a very upset tummy.

Partly due to being upset about Hope not feeling well, I got a ton of stuff done yesterday - I have to keep busy when I'm upset. I repotted plants, wiped down windowsills and baseboards throughout the house, washed blankets, organized/purged cabinets in the bathroom, etc. Just a general freshening up of things and it's so nice to get up this morning and be able to tell the difference.

Today is DD's birthday and it will just be the two of us. I'm making a nice meal (baked ziti, salad, garlic bread, coconut cake) and got her some nice shower gel and lotion from a company that gives a bar of soap to someone in need for every item you purchase - DD only likes to use those kinds of products - organic, gives back, minority/woman owned, etc. I also got her a "s'mores kt" as her and her SO are going "glamping" later this week.

Sorry for the long post. I'm off to get a second cup of coffee. So thankful to be here with my two dogs this morning, with Hope feeling well. Wishing you all a good day.

Sheila, I hope that your Hope is all better. It is scary when they are not well.

Happy birthday to your DD. Sounds like a lot of good food and a lovely gift.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Oh, gosh, poor Hope! Poor you! But thank goodness she seems okay and your DD has that expertise.

I woke up early and am having coffee and peanut butter toast with my doggie besties having a snooze on the ottoman. There is a lot to get done today: bleach mopping the tiled section of the house, roasting a chicken for DH, dusting the whole house, vacuuming the back porch, and sewing. I have a pair of slacks to repair, a shirt to fix for DS that will be kind of tricky, and a big reading pillow for our bed that's been waiting forever to be made.

My 2.5 day weekends got off to a rocky start on Friday when those extra free hours were napped away. But I was really tired.

Today promises to be hot but beautiful weather. Off to get started. May you all have a calm and safe day.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

[quote=HappyDaze post_id=111635 time=1653217119 user_id=13867

[/quote]

I am glad Hope is feeling much better. It is a good idea to contact your vet and see what they think.

Have a wonderful birthday party.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 am Oh, gosh, poor Hope! Poor you! But thank goodness she seems okay and your DD has that expertise.

I woke up early and am having coffee and peanut butter toast with my doggie besties having a snooze on the ottoman. There is a lot to get done today: bleach mopping the tiled section of the house, roasting a chicken for DH, dusting the whole house, vacuuming the back porch, and sewing. I have a pair of slacks to repair, a shirt to fix for DS that will be kind of tricky, and a big reading pillow for our bed that's been waiting forever to be made.

My 2.5 day weekends got off to a rocky start on Friday when those extra free hours were napped away. But I was really tired.

Today promises to be hot but beautiful weather. Off to get started. May you all have a calm and safe day.
Sometimes a nap is what is needed.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning, everyone. I am still alive and kicking. We have been having horrible weather. A lot of rain and storms. Thursday we were under constant storm and tornado alert. They said we had 10 low level tornadoes go through the St. Louis Metro area and the surrounding counties on both sides of the Mississippi river. Teddi and I did spend time in the basement when one tornado was in our area. The good thing is I had a DISH repairman out earlier that day due to problems with my reception upstairs. I asked him to hook up my small TV in the basement for incase there was a tornado alert. That way I could come downstairs and sit on a couch down there and watch TV updates. Then if need be can slip into my storm shelter without a problem. Several years ago I fell down the stairs when Allie and I were going down to the shelter during a tornado alert. I laid at the bottom of the steps for about 10 min before I felt able to get up. This way I can take my time and sit down there and wait to see while watching TV.

While here the DISH tech gave me a brochure for ADT alarm. DISH and ADT are now associated. I have been wanting to get an alarm system set up again. I used to have one but had to let it go because I could not afford it. However, I am doing better now. The new one will have a camera which I want due to the fruit thief and the solar set up. I want to monitor the outside more since you never know who might be curious and want to take a look at it without letting me know they are on my property. While talking to the DISH tech I saw a man on my property and went out to see what he was doing here. He was from the solar company. I was not happy he was walking around and I had no idea he was coming. He was there to mark out where the trenches are to be dug for the cables for the solar system. He marked it off. While the DISH tech was doing his thing I was on the phone with ADT setting up my alarm system and the solar guy was knocking on the door wanting me to come outside to see what he had done. Thank goodness my aide was here and she was able to talk to the solar guy to tell him that I was on the phone. After a while I asked the ADT guy how much longer is this going to go on. He said 5 min. Asked him if i could put him on hold while I went out to talk to the solar guy. He said that would be ok. Went out to check the solar situation told the guy I did not like the panels being so close to the property line. He said not a problem he would relocate them. The DISH man was asking questions and the ADT guy was on the phone and the solar guy outside. I started to laugh and said, " I have not had this many men in my life all at one time." The DISH and ADT guys both laughed. Anyway things are progressing.

My niece's husband and son were here yesterday to get the last of their things out of my basement. They will come back next week when I am ready to move things out of the way. The entire basement duct work will be wrapped. It goes down the middle of the basement and branches off. I still have things to get rid of that belong to me. Goodwill and several charity stores will be receiving things. My aide has taken a few things to pass on to people she knows that can use them. There is more but right now I need to get ready for my curbside pickup at Walmart. Hope everyone is doing ok.
Janet Alliesmama