Daily Check In May 23, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In May 23, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining, and the temperature rising. Looks like I just may get to buy plants today.

Off to get some coffee. Back soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In May 23, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

As I said before this looks to be the start of a beautiful day. I may actually get my laundry all out on the lines today. Youngest DS was asking about putting up a clothesline in the very near future. I love that out of the two boys, the baby is by far the most frugal of the two.

He left for home around noon yesterday and once home used the lawnmower to cut his grass. He does say it isn't fun to mow on a hill (his house sits very high), and the small tiller he bought to work up his garden. Texts flew back and forth between us and he is just loving being able to do yard work again. I am hopeful that his garden grows nicely, and that he manages to get a bit of the repairs the inspector noticed done outside. I told him just a bit at a time and all will be completed. I know he has bought the necessary stuff to fix an area of his stucco. We also passed on some hoses and some pots for plants to him so he would not have to purchase any. Probably we will find more things to pass on and then we get a little less cluttered as well.

Oldest DS has been working in his yard as well. I believe his entire garden is planted, though he might have to replant some cucumbers. I think he is doing those from seed.

Today along with the regular Monday chores, I am going to continue to weed the perennial bed, and perhaps go and get some plants. Just a few flowers and some herbs to start things off as they will be needing to be brought in and out for awhile as of yet. Must acclimatize them first to our very weird weather. I am thinking of purchasing more of the overwinter type plants (might get Hubby a bit worried) as I am tired of replacing plants every year.

Frugally I will try and spend as little cash as possible on the plants, and get those bulbs into the ground at least in the pots I planted them in last year, and I have a vague idea of where to plant them in the perennial bed (well at least one area). I am also going to look for some grapes to plant. Now that the cedar trees are cut down, we gaze at the ugly old siding on the 40 year old shed that has moved with us numerous times. I want it covered, which could mean adding some soil to the slightly raised area around it, and moving the planters (could put those on the side of the house with the other two).

I, of course, will be heading out for my daily walk as my frugal exercise of the day. Spraying the box elder bugs (aka Halloween bugs) as I see them (we have another infestation going on) with the homemade spray and going through books to see if there are anymore hints I can use for living this frugal and simpler lifestyle.

About a month ago I started bringing up the weeks main dishes from one of the two freezers downstairs. So far this seems to be working well and the last couple of weeks has seen be using up meals I made in advance. I do have some things that will need to be tossed (for some odd reason my eggplant parma just does not taste right, it is really too tough and I am blaming the fact that my oven went in the midst of preparing them). I hate to do that, but what will be will be.

So supper tonight is going to be the Lazy Cabbage Roll casserole and perhaps a cooked veggie like peas/carrots along with it.

Today I am grateful that the extended forecast looks good.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, Jackie. That's so neat that your youngest absorbed the most of the frugal teaching.

It's raining here still. It's settled down to a gentle rain, but it was blowing sideways yesterday afternoon and started up again like that in the night.

DH mopped and cleaned his office yesterday evening, which was his way of celebrating after finishing the project management course he's been working on for six months in his spare time. I love it when all the floors and furniture are shining.

I'm not sure what today is going to bring. We should get busy at work sometime soon, although I haven't seen the schedule for when we'll be hosting conference attendees in our buildings.

My tea cup is empty, so I'm off to do whatever.
Mackie
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello Jackie and all,
I was able to get to sleep last night but woke up too early for me. I will take a nap if needed later. Just thankful I was able to fall asleep without help.
We had to throw out some freezer stuff to the chickens Jackie and while I hate the work that goes into it at least the chickens get some use of it.
I have beef going for the veggie soup and a crockpot full of meat scraps to be made into homemade dog food for my geriatric dogs....I will freeze in portions and mix with veggies and rice for feeding per the vets directions. The only canned food that dog will eat and tolerate is getting difficult to find and has gone up a lot in price IF I can find it at all.
Fridge is sorted and cleaned out, next up is running the vacuum and floor cleaner. I am still in sleep pants and sweatshirt ...it is a chilly but sunny morning and looks like I will be wearing leggings and long sleeves most of the day. If I have to change into shorts and a tee shirt it will be much later in the day.
Weather dude says rain coming in later in the week, hopefully we can make garden in the evenings before hand.
I hope to work on my camper today but it needs to warm up some. 7 year old grand is determined to use it as a playhouse with gammy lol.
Off to get started again,
JCKitty
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Today is expected to be a fairly nice day, cloudy but on the mild side in the low 70s, much different than the humid 90s we had yesterday.

Didn't get to sleep until around 11:00 last night so I didn't get up until 7:00 this morning. I truly hate when that happens. Oh well.

Today I have my Monday chat and my coloring group. Have done my Monday chores and my exercising; have also gone to the grocery store and read through my emails. I do feel behind though.

I put together my June menu plan yesterday. I admit that I am definitely not a cook; it was something i never really took much interest in. I am a creature of habit and really don't mind eating basically the same thing week after week. I do admire those, however, who can plan meals so that they basically don't eat the same thing twice. Tonight's menu is french toast with some turkey bacon.

Well that's it for now. Have a wonderful day.
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Today is a cool rainy day. DM came and helped me pack some more of my office this morning. Today is my last day at my employer, however she did find a way to make sure she did not have to pay me my 38 hours of sick time I had, she said federal laws said she did not have to. I have never worked for a place that refused to pay your sick time and vacation time when you left. So I am not very happy about that, I am looking forward to finally clocking out today and not having to worry about this place or my boss.

Tomorrow we go to Charlotte to get another scan of baby and do the amniocentesis so I will have a pretty full day tomorrow. After that I am supposed to rest, I plan to crochet the baby some items. I did get in my building to see what I had picked up recently for the baby, I had a good bit of bottles and some other small items I had been given or had gotten on sale. After today, I will have to take my frugalness to the extreme until I get another job. So very little spending or going out and about. Wish me luck

Snowangel